BOS University Guide: A Complete Guide to 1st Year Uni [A Work In Progress] (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Good idea.

Just a reminder for incoming UNSW students, there is a UNSW-specific FAQ here. :)

_Alfie_

HSC
Demandred said:
From what I have experienced, the majority usually give you the benefit of the doubt, of course, there's always an minority who likes to go on a witch hunt for plagerism in every assessment.

Almost forgot, if you do get an unfair mark, for instance, plagerism, even though you truly have not, you can appeal for a remark. For most universities, you appeal to your lecturer/tutor, then to the unit co-ordinator, then his/her boss, and once last time to the boss of the boss of the unit co-ordinator. The downside is that it takes a long time to get through this process and you may even lose marks as well!
Note: For some lecturers (especially the senior ones and professors) plagarism often equates to using material outside the course, in particular, sources that contradict their point of view (which are conveniently absent from their compiled unit materials). Whilst, paraphrasing whole slabs of their work (i.e. worshipping them) is fine...meh!

Most academics aren't like this but go to uni long enough and you're most definitely goin to encounter one of these. Just be on the look out for them and write your stuff the way "they" want it.

Oh and avoid using sources from google, some lecturers like to impose strict liability when it comes to googling (i.e. use any source from google, regardless of whether you've absorbed/analysed it, and they assume its plagarism even if they don't spell it out)

Advice: if you want any appeal of grades to go faster, talk to the dean of undergraduate studies "after" talking to your course convenor (he/she will prolly send you back to say your department/division head but people say that this method puts more pressure down the power hierarchy to hurry things up)

HSC
N/A
natstar said:
From my experience, to battle plagerism, most lectures, when setting assignment make it a requirement to reference at least X number of ACADEMIC sources. As Alfie said, try not to do random googles for info. Academic sources means info from relevent academic/industry journals
Oh yes. I don't think I used a single website as a source of research last year :S No wait - I lie! I visited the Lean Cuisine site for my Marketing assessment... (when I was researching advertising methods for Lean Cuisine products...)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah you will find at uni you have to go to the library and use actual books a lot more than at high school.

I think one important thing for the newbies to know is that in first year in the first semester, in most subjects everyone is new and the tutors and lecturers do make an effort to help you understand how things work at your university. So don't worry too much, when you get there you will probably find it isn't too stressful to adjust. I've just gone through starting at new university in London this week and even though I am going in to my final year and haven't had as much help as first years get, there is still a lot of people to ask for help if you are confused etc. So don't stress, it's really not that scary!

davo_

good kid
HSC
Re: The Idiot's Guide to University (FAQ)

lourai*87 said:
Thankyou! :)

I know i have asked this elsewhere but im getting nervy lol.

You menitioned about tutorials....well, I have 2 tutorials for Subject1 (one Monday one Tuesday), but the Monday one is at the same time and for the same duration as a lecture for Subject2. The problem is, the lecture for Sub2 only has that one time, and there is only one option for a tutorial for Sub2 as well. So do i forget about one of the Sub1 tutorials, or scrap the only lecture for Sub2?

Im heaps stressed, pls help?
I'm actually surprised the uni allows for there to be a clash, I'm not sure why you're asking here rather than somebody at the uni. But if it really came down to it (I'm sure the uni would be able to sort so that this wouldn't happen), you would have to go to your tute over your lecture. Generally tutorials are compulsory and lectures aren't, and lecture information is generally available on the net anyway. I actually found I went to very few of my lectures by half way through second semester. I know I haven't really helped your problem, but hopefully have helped your worrying.

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A

hey if a semester is only 14 weeks, thats 3.5 months, and if you only have 2 semesters a year, then thats only 7 months of uni, does that mean 5 months of holidays a year?

Last edited:

Demandred

HSC

Yep, just about. It really depends on how your exam timetable.

13 week semester + 1-4 weeks for exams = 14-17 weeks

14-17 weeks x 2 = 28-34 weeks

So that means at least 18 - 24 weeks of holidays, or 4.5 - 6 months a year.

Generator

HSC
N/A

Optophobia said:
rote learning?

It's a mechanised method of studying that involves the individual memorising all that is before them, often without actually understanding what it is that they are memorising. In other words, it's a method of study that doesn't require a thorough understanding of the material.

If it's still not clear, the point is that you would be best to do all that you can to understand and apply what you are being taught because to merely memorise and regurgitate responses pretty much defeats the purpose of being at uni (and it may come around and bite you on the arse should a question come from the out-field). Just remember that you are at uni learn, not memorise.

craz

HSC
Re: Things you should know about universities, and choosing.

Good stuff! The advice actually given on the front page im sorry to say in my opinion is very biased!

I look at where i am i live on campus (res) as we call it here in ballarat needless to say i can't wait to move off, but you know each place suits different people differently.

If you want to transfer courses like you want to move from say arts to politics or something of the like make sure you do maintain a good average like a credit and above average ranging from 70-100%

A lot of people have the perception that university is either a booze place or is just purely academic neither is true. True a lot of people go out and get drunk regularly but there is a need to get some work done in order to qualify for your degree! It's not purely academic because it's not all about getting an article published in say a prestigious journal. Just give it your best shot and don't worry about honours unless you really want it.

As far as I'm concerned...Benjamin, being out at Armidale doesn't mean you're any different. Everybody has a different place where they are happy to study and that's a good thing - you don't have to go somewhere just because their UAI is better for that uni (although i admit that does help) As long as you're happy you can always do your next degree at a more prestigious uni if you want.

The structure of uni: much more laidback than say secondary. you have lectures and tutorials depending on your course you may have PRAC classes, or teaching/nursing rounds or whatever in your timetable. Lecture's aren't compulsory but it is a good idea to understand what they go on about in tutes. Tutorials are compulsory and there you can range questions and so forth from the lecture. Pracs are generally for science, education and possibly a few other subject areas. In Education, we use them for group presentations based on our school rounds.

A Bachelor course refers to a course that normally lasts 3-4 years and this can lead to honours. Examples, include science, education, business, IT, nursing, engingeering. You can do as many bachelors as you want but that does not mean you automatically qualify as an undergraduate.

An undergraduate is essentially your first degree but you are not eligible for concessions if you are a mature age which means not straight out from high school/ or taken a gap year!

A postgraduate means you are doing your second/third degree. Generally people who are postgraduates are people who have graduated, coming back for another or mature age students coming back to study. I could be wrong on this as im not a mature age student!

Anybody is welcome to question or ask for clarification.

Hope it helps

a8o

HSC

Choose a university based on potential lifestyle. Then choose your course.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

craz said:
An undergraduate is essentially your first degree but you are not eligible for concessions if you are a mature age which means not straight out from high school/ or taken a gap year!

A postgraduate means you are doing your second/third degree. Generally people who are postgraduates are people who have graduated, coming back for another or mature age students coming back to study. I could be wrong on this as im not a mature age student!
that part about mature aged students is not completely true.. they have the same path as a yr 12 person but they dun use UAI or they use it in combination with other things lik work experience and can get career credits if its in the same pathway

undergraduates = before u get ure bachelors

about the postgrad part.. u still need a undergrad degree unless u get exception.. that happens rarely cos faculties can confer postgrads whilst unis confer the undergrad degrees ..

i only know one person that has a masters but no bachelors or any undergrad work.. cos he worked for the faculty after droppin out from a bach and didnt go back... but he got a masters by research cos he also did alot of research for them.

its a similar thing for honourary doctorates..

also ure point about medicine isnt always true.. even in HK.. ppl do it cos its just plain interesting, changing and challenging.. and its a 5-7 yr bachelor degree... so its the exception to the rule as its a single degree not combined.

Last edited:

davo522

HSC

the course i want to do only goes for 3 years (commerce sydney uni), so im thinking of combining it with arts, which makes it 5 years.
do u think that would be a better idea?

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC

for those going for med - apply for everywhere if you're prepared to go interstate. with each extra place you apply for, you increase your chance. thats very obvious.

for the commerce people - if you're in uni to get a job straight out, a straight three year degree is the way to go. an accounting or finance major will give you a really good chance of finding a decent job after graduating.

HSC
N/A

Uni year tends to start late Jan/Early feb and finish Nov or early Dec (depending on exams, usually). There's normally a mid-year break, as well as mid-semester breaks. Exact dates depend on which uni you go to - length of holidays (except for the big 3-month one) also depend on individual unis. MQ for example tends to have a 4-week mid year break, but we don't have STUVAC...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

glitterfairy said:
DISCLAIMER: Written by a Mac student. I’ve tried to be general wherever possible, but if something I’ve written does not apply to your university, please let me know and I will edit accordingly!
Um, here goes...
*Basically at UTS in each semester we get two terms that are 7 weeks each with a one week holiday in the middle, though communications students get two weeks break instead.
*First tute is pretty much playing the name game and being assigned presentation weeks.
*From my experience UTS isn't big on putting their lectures on tape and they don't use iLecture, so its probably a *really* good idea to turn up( especially since some subjects require a summary of what you learnt from each lecture before you'll be marked as present). However some lecturers will put up some notes.
*At UTS (at least in my faculty) pretty much all of the assessments need to be handed in directly to the tutor who marks them. If it's a final assessment you need to give them an envelope as well if you want it back.
*With failing, if you fail 2 or more units in any given semester apart from your first then UTS can exclude you (which is pretty much uni version of expulsion)

X

xeuyrawp

withoutaface said:
I dunno about mac, but city unis tend to be late Feb/early March...
Same as every uni, I think.

We started on the 27th Feb.

miss_gtr said:
-It is ok to look a bit nicer than usual on the day that you are taking your ID photo. You will have to stare at it for the rest of the year, and so will your friends, bus drivers, ticket inspectors, coop people, cityrail officer etc. Not that I endorse being vain, or the need to look immaculate at uni. Just a thought.
Try the rest of your undergrad. We don't get new cards every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC

can someone plz explain to me how credit points, majors and double degrees work ?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A

It depends what uni you go to.
My uni (as with most others) believe that 40 units is what you should be doing per semester. 40 units supposedly equates to 40 hours total effort per week (this includes class time, so if you have 15 hours in lectures/tutes/labs, you're expected to put in 25 hours to assignments/readings/study/etc). Generally under this system, you do 4 subjects per semester at 10 units each (thus, 10 hours total effort per subject per week), although sometimes it varies (I generally have to do 2x 10 units. 1x 20 units).
A major is the area in which you concentrate on. Each uni and each programme will set out how many credit points you have to complete in that discipline for it to be your major. For example, when I did science, say you wanted to major in biology, you had to do 20 units of it at 1000 level (1st yr), then a minimum of 40 units of it at 3000 level (3rd yr). It was upto you if you took all of these 40 units in first sem, or 20 units per semester, or even took more than was required.
Double degrees, you do 2 degrees at once. I think they're generally one 'shorter' degree (say, commerce for 3 yrs) and one 'longer' one (law for 5 yrs)...but you mix it up...yeah, I don't really get it so I won't try and explain it any more.

celery

HSC

poloktim said:
Here is an important note:
University is not about getting a job. If you want a job, consult the newspaper on a Saturday, or seek.com.au or something. You go to university because you want to get an education about a chosen field that you could likely enter the workforce in. The reason this is important is because there are many people who'll choose a course of study at university having absolutely no interest in it, never getting an interest in it, only because of future job prospects. More often than not, these people fail.
I LIKE THAT! I'm gona let my parents read that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)