BR- deckard's unicorn dream (1 Viewer)

eloeloelo

HSC
hi!

I have a feeling this dream is significant and i can see the comparison between it and the artificial world that BR lives in but how else can it relate to "humanity's relationship with the natural"?
also what technique would u call this?

williamc

HSC
I thought the unicorn alluded to the fact the Deckard himself is a replicant.

eloeloelo

HSC
yeah i thought about that but my teacher said that its not relevant to "in the wild" so we should just forget about it.

armpit222

HSC
The way that we looked at the concept of the Unicorn is that it is a mythical beast and it is symbolic of the mythical nature of the natural environment in the society depicited. Hence it is a good link between the Los Angles 2019 and the lack of nature and highlights that humanity doesn't have any relationship with the wild, it is seen as a mythical thing.

I keep repeating myself but u get the point.

Eddyah

HSC
eloeloelo said:
hi!

I have a feeling this dream is significant and i can see the comparison between it and the artificial world that BR lives in but how else can it relate to "humanity's relationship with the natural"?
also what technique would u call this?
Can andriods dream of electric sheep?

If Deckard is a replicant, how is this significant to the fact that he can 'dream' of unicorns? Relate this to humanity and out hopes and dreams.

PS: its ironic as the dream was implanted into his head.

HSC
Theres also the idea of the unicorn being the only mythical beast that was not born out of human fear. Fear is a very powerful, very human emotion. It is what has driven the replicants to the extremes they have gone to in their fight for life. Perhaps the unicorn represents the replicants and their desire to be human?

Unicorns are also symbolic of purity and perfection - so the vision could represent the replicants in that respect as replicants are considered technically perfect. JF actually says, 'You're so perfect.' (another textual reference to link to) It's all a question of whether or not you want to argue your essay in favour of the replicants or against them.

jazzmuzik

HSC
what about the unicorn in the dream and the link to the origami unicorn that "gaff?' (i think thats who it is) leaves in the closing of the film
???

kloudsurfer

HSC
jazzmuzik said:
what about the unicorn in the dream and the link to the origami unicorn that "gaff?' (i think thats who it is) leaves in the closing of the film
???
Its a hint towards the whole idea that Deckard is a replicant. It suggests that hes not the only one who knows about his dreams and that maybe hes like Rachel, a replicant whose dreams and memories have been implanted....

I havent even done this module but thats what i read somewhere....

Chaosenigma

HSC
STAY AWAY FROM UNICORNS!!!

Yes, the unicorn is meant to hint at deckard being the 6th replicant (in the report, they mention 6 replicants have landed on earth, one died trying to gain access to tyrell, and the other 4 are priss, zora, roy and leon)

But as said before, stay away, it's irelevant and could be a PLOT HOLE!

Crazymunch

HSC
Ok, After studying this plenty and talking to plenty of English teachers and classmates, I've got a few thoughts on this.

The accepted interpretation of this dream is that Deckard is a replicant, which is backed up by the origami unicorn at the end of the film - Gaff read his 'file' and knew that he had the Unicorn implanted into his head

However, he is NOT the '6th replicant' that escaped from the shuttle
In an interview with Scott during a making of, he revealed that originally there was to be another replicant fromt he craft, a female replicant called 'Mary' who was to be killed shortly after Priss, shot through the door of a wardrobe by Deckard.
However, Scott thought that her addition dragged the movie out too much and decided to remove her from the script. However, soem scenes had already been shot, including the scene where it is said that there were 'Six Replicants', and this plot hole wasn't sealed properly

That said, In the interview he also SAID straight out that Deckard was a replicant, and as he's the director, he would know (IMO). However, Harrison Ford has in interviews alluded to the fatc that he played deckard as a 'Human' ratehr than a replicant, and sees Deckard as a human.

Onto the Unicorn - If Deckard IS a human, or perhaps even if he is a replicant, the Unicorn can be seen as an allusion to Man's desire for nature and the wild, somethign which has been destroyed by Urbanization but soem humans may still remember

So yeah... my 2 Cents on this issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)