• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Brazil is here to stay (1 Viewer)

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
Either you're not aware that the main political strength of Russia and Iran is oil, or you're rocking back and forth trying to convince yourself it'll all be OK, and that any day now those courageous Muslim terrorists will destroy that evil, evil thing called democracy.
Firstly, you said:
"I imagine America will have to start sucking up to Brazil"

That's not how they operate. Particularly in South America. Usually they would threaten to politically isolate the nation whilst at the same time creating contracts to aquire their resources and at the same time using black ops ie; espionage and incitement in order to destabilise the nation. Ofcourse this policy can't work when the U.S. can't tilt the international diplomatic scene in their favour. Brazil has made it's own allies.

Secondly, you said:
"...they are now the most politically stable major oil producer in the world besides Canada."

They are politically stable for a reason. They are an economic and diplomatic power (particularly in South America). Therefore they will not jeopardise their position to fulfill some sort of fantasy you have for the unipolar hegemony held by the U.S.
Foreign Ministers of the BRIC nations have been more frequently than ever communicating. This isn't a coincidence. Wait an see. Brazil will not be overly eager to sell off their newly discovered oil. And if they do, it'll mainly be to nations like China.

Thirdly, you said:
"America would have absolutely no need for oil from Russia or the Middle East. If they play it right.

Which would severely weakens Russia and Iran's political power."

Which is why I laughed. America makes up for 5-10% of Russia's oil exports. Russia will hardly be effected by this, especially in terms of political power. How does having strong allies weaken your political power?
Brazil and Russia are allies. (Military, Scientific, Aeronautic, etc, etc.)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
And, ya know, those Russian barrels are comin up right through Alas-ka, rearing their head within the state -to -which -i -am -in authority of, so that's why we've gotta be keepin a close eye on that there

At any rate, even if this means less arab oil, we've still got the climate change in there. I think it'll just mean that America can be slightly less hypocritical about its trade/human rights policy, and therell be more pressure to make Spanish the co-official language

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
...you're not aware that the main political strength of Russia ... is oil.
Kuwait has more oil than Russia.
By your logic Kuwait has more "political strength" than Russia.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
sam04u said:
Kuwait has more oil than Russia.
By your logic Kuwait has more "political strength" than Russia.
well they did managed to get rescued by the greatest power on earth

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:
That's not how they operate. Particularly in South America. Usually they would threaten to politically isolate the nation whilst at the same time creating contracts to aquire their resources and at the same time using black ops ie; espionage and incitement in order to destabilise the nation. Ofcourse this policy can't work when the U.S. can't tilt the international diplomatic scene in their favour. Brazil has made it's own allies.
You watch too much spy drama.

They are politically stable for a reason. They are an economic and diplomatic power (particularly in South America). Therefore they will not jeopardise their position to fulfill some sort of fantasy you have for the unipolar hegemony held by the U.S.
No, but they'll supply America with oil because it makes money. That should be pretty evident, Sherlock.

Foreign Ministers of the BRIC nations have been more frequently than ever communicating. This isn't a coincidence. Wait an see. Brazil will not be overly eager to sell off their newly discovered oil. And if they do, it'll mainly be to nations like China.
No. The emerging nations are partners out of necessity, not ideology. Brazil has as much in common with Russia as it does America. Trade rules their foreign relations.

Which is why I laughed. America makes up for 5-10% of Russia's oil exports. Russia will hardly be effected by this, especially in terms of political power. How does having strong allies weaken your political power?
Brazil and Russia are allies. (Military, Scientific, Aeronautic, etc, etc.)
It's got nothing to do with how much of Russia's oil America uses. It's the fact that it prevents Russia from using oil as a political bargaining tool over America as they do, say, Germany.

When somebody comes along and is selling their oil at even the same price, people are going to start buying from them because they're more stable. Russia and Iran are not stable: they consistently try to use oil prices and production to strongarm other countries.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Um is there a thing such as clean-oil technology? Like some whatsit you put on the exhaust pipe/tower that turns the gunk into rainbows etc? Science?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
Um is there a thing such as clean-oil technology? Like some whatsit you put on the exhaust pipe/tower that turns the gunk into rainbows etc? Science?
No.

Unless you find a way to convert carbon gases to graphite or diamonds.

Then there is the NOx and SOx emissions.

I spose you could scrub it with 10% aqueous NaOH but that would be retarded.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I see.
It is a sad day. At least with peaking dirty Arab oil, there was decent pressure to give up the junk. I fear Slidey has doomed the planet,
again

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
At any rate, even if this means less arab oil, we've still got the climate change in there. I think it'll just mean that America can be slightly less hypocritical about its trade/human rights policy, and therell be more pressure to make Spanish the co-official language
I don't know if you're referring to Brazil or Mexico (entirely out of context), but Brazil speaks Portuguese.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Oh! my bad.
Thankyou for correcting me, he said with burning red gaze

That's the whole gottchya scientists sticking it in there up getting out through the, thing, in- what -we -
jerk

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Trefoil said:
It's the fact that it prevents Russia from using oil as a political bargaining tool over America as they do, say, Germany.
Before I get into any of the other nonsense you posted.
What makes you think Brazil will not do the exact same thing?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hahahahaha
Never noticed how erotic that communist poster is
Phalic worship
It's got everything

Direct your sexual urges to victory comrades

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Does the hammer ans sickle represent what I think it represents?
I have uneartherd a goldmine in soviet studies my friends
Fist handling gun
suspect helmut approaching fleshy star

But no! One cannot make love without thinking of the workers! They guard the starish privacies above and such love, such Truth, can only be attained by submitting to their demands for equality
Only then can the ahmmer truely penetrate the sickle - the pounder and harvester at one in perfect union
Only then can the helumted warrior pierce the star of paradise, and he has achieved it because he fought
and worked
He owes this sensation to the state. Tis for thee

atheistic perverts. What an orwellian twisting of love

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Iron said:
Does the hammer ans sickle represent what I think it represents?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtU3vUOa2sw
If this doesn't warm your cold capitalist heart, I don't know what will.

United forever in friendship and labour,
Our mighty republics will ever endure.
The great Soviet Union will live through the ages.
The dream of a people their fortress secure.

Long live our Soviet Motherland, built by the people's mighty hand.
Long live our People, united and free.
Strong in our friendship tried by fire. Long may our crimson flag inspire,
Shining in glory for all men to see.

Through days dark and stormy where Great Lenin led us
Our eyes saw the bright sun of freedom above
and Stalin our Leader with faith in the People,
Inspired us to build up the land that we love.

Long live our Soviet Motherland, built by the people's mighty hand.
Long live our People, united and free.
Strong in our friendship tried by fire. Long may our crimson flag inspire,
Shining in glory for all men to see.

We fought for the future, destroyed the invader,
and brought to our homeland the Laurels of Fame.
Our glory will live in the memory of nations
and all generations will honour her name.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
I see.
It is a sad day. At least with peaking dirty Arab oil, there was decent pressure to give up the junk. I fear Slidey has doomed the planet,
again
Haha. Naw. It'll take 2 to 4 years to utilise this oil, and by then America will be well and truly on the way to clean energy and energy independence - those will be some of Obama's first actions in January.

There's just too much momentum (both financial and societal) behind renewable energy right now for some short-term increase in oil reserves to change anything in that arena. Just look at that recent electric car project planned for Australia. Something like that doesn't suddenly stop because the price of oil changed.

sam04u said:
Before I get into any of the other nonsense you posted.
What makes you think Brazil will not do the exact same thing?
The fact that Brazil is politically stable and all evidence so far points to them being very reasonable trade partners. See the dealings between Petrobas, BP, Shell, etc. Compare that with, say, Russia's Gazprom and their dealings with Ukraine.

The good thing is this gives Brazil plenty of expansion room. It's like a perfect storm for Brazil right now. I imagine over the next 10 years we'll see extremely rapid development into a powerful free market economy with a strong welfare state (Lula has already laid down much of the groundwork for that, but I think his last term is up in 2010 and he can't run again by law).

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
No.

Unless you find a way to convert carbon gases to graphite or diamonds.

Then there is the NOx and SOx emissions.

I spose you could scrub it with 10% aqueous NaOH but that would be retarded.
They've created a process to efficiently turn CO2 into short-chain hydrocarbons using a powerplant's waste heat.

I dunno how that would scale to cars, though. Maybe drivers could sequester the CO2 and then dump it at power plants for energy credit or something. It's apparently not efficient to extract CO2 from air, but extracting it from exhaust seems plausible.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/10/08/co2.fuel/

You can also use CO2 as a sort of 'battery'. Use a certain type of solar cell to split it into CO, and then burn the CO (it's a fuel). The waste product is CO2. Rinse and repeat.

http://www.scientificblogging.com/news/turning_carbon_dioxide_into_fuel_using_solar_power

Another possibility is turning the CO into hydrocarbons through the Fischer-Tropsch process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch_process

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Miles Edgeworth said:
Sam has some valid points about Brazzyyyyilll my frens. John Pilger says so what with his book and truth to power. America will just undermine Brazil and force them to sell their supplies to Amerkin comparnies
Yeah. No.

This isn't the Cold War, and the neoconservatives leave office in January.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)