• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Brazil is here to stay (1 Viewer)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Neither today's Democrat party or Republican party is the same as that of 100, 50, or even 30 years ago. The Democrats of 50 years ago are basically where the neoconservatives come from (religious social conservatives). When the Dems gave blacks the right to vote, they simply moved to the Republican party and the Democrats lost the South but gained New England. Other things were involved too, such as Vietnam, but yeah.

I'm going to focus on the here and now, not what amounts to conspiracy theories for the future

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
hahaha wtf
Your political observations betray that you are most wiiiise in these matters

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
A new dawn of American leadership is at hand. - Obama
Trefoil said:
Well, I imagine America will have to start sucking up to Brazil, since they are now the most politically stable major oil producer in the world besides Canada.
As usual Trefoil, you demonstrate your vast knowledge of politics.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Trefoil said:
Haha. Naw. It'll take 2 to 4 years to utilise this oil
I hope by 'utilise' you mean 'get to', because while it will be difficult to get to, there's a lot of oil there.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Kwayera said:
I hope by 'utilise' you mean 'get to', because while it will be difficult to get to, there's a lot of oil there.
Exactly. There is so much oil there that America will have to start sucking up to Brazil.

I, for one, welcome our new Brazilian overlords.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
sam04u said:
Exactly. There is so much oil there that America will have to start sucking up to Brazil.

I, for one, welcome our new Brazilian overlords.
Which brings me right back to my original comment: Brazilian/US relations are going to get reaaaal interesting.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Current US and Brazilian relations

CIA operative: "President Bush, we have reports that two Brazilian soldiers have been killed in combat against..."
Bush: "Sweet Jesus!"
**Bush faints
**20 minutes later Bush wakes up
Bush: "How many is a Brazilian?"

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
brogan77 said:
um has anyone pointed out how speculative this discovery is currently?

it's like people wanking on about how much shale oil is floating around canda...yeah awesome now go and extract it efficiently and cost effectively...
Apparently it's actually quite solid. Quite a few articles on the internet involving Brazilian officials comments, and the Brazilian petrol companies as well saying that at current oil prices they would be willing to begin it's extraction, etc.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Shale oil is difficult to find, and expensive to refine. The only problems with THIS stuff is the depth of water and the salt pan it's under - and given they've already sunk test wells, I'd be pretty willing to put money on this going ahead.

They're not going to leave that much crude just sitting there.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
hahaha wtf
Your political observations betray that you are most wiiiise in these matters
Dude, look up LBJ if you don't believe me. The religious crazies all jumped ship to the GOP when he gave universal suffrage to African-Americans.

sam04u said:
As usual Trefoil, you demonstrate your vast knowledge of politics.
How the flying fuck could you possibly take that comment as evidence of a new era of American imperialism? Jesus wept but you are paranoid!

Kwayera said:
Uh... well what else would I mean by 'utilise'? 'Turn into plastic with which to make sex toys', perhaps? :eek:

This isn't tar sands like in Canada. It's just very deep.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
um has anyone pointed out how speculative this discovery is currently?

it's like people wanking on about how much shale oil is floating around canda...yeah awesome now go and extract it efficiently and cost effectively...
Nah, you're pretty wrong. Recent tests have shown this is a pretty solid oil find and is very likely to be proven oil. The only unknown is how long it'll take to access - with estimates between 2 and 10 years.

And extracting oil from tar sands and shale in Canada has already been proven cost effective: http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/archive/ieo07/index.html

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
@kwayera and sam: petrobras share price has fallen immensely in recent times
Wow, I wonder why. That's really unfortunate, because every other company around the world's share prices have actually been increasing lately, did you know? There's this massive global economic boom going on and there's just immense consumer confidence, so that makes it really strange to see a company's share prices fall.

In fact, just the other day, I believe Shell's share prices increased by 6%. This was because, as you know, the price of oil just keep rising. It's almost $200 a barrel now! Wow!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)