Brendan Nelson new Opposition Leader (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Good effort though. I didnt figure he had any chance against Turnbull.
An inspiration to young labor members everywhere

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
jimmayyy said:
maybe he thinks he can win back some of the more rightish labor vote with a new leftish liberal platfoorm
Of course, as would Turnbull... The difference however is that Nelson has been a complicate, high-profile member of the former government while Turnbull was seen as a fairly independant voice of dissidence.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Iron said:
Good effort though. I didnt figure he had any chance against Turnbull.
An inspiration to young labor members everywhere
That's because everyone was looking at who the public thought should be leader, rather than seeing that Turnbull was going around making pronouncements about the Aboriginals, Kyoto and the like without consulting the party room, and that he hasn't been around anywhere near as long to develop the backbench support.

jimmaaay: He was a GP for 10 years.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
jimmayyy said:
is he an actual doctor (MD) or something obscure?
He has a MBBS I think.

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
As a former student nurse I can say that the nurses collectively despise him.

Conspirocy

HSC
Enteebee said:
Of course, as would Turnbull... The difference however is that Nelson has been a complicate, high-profile member of the former government while Turnbull was seen as a fairly independant voice of dissidence.
I think that it's a gamble but a calculated one to appoint Nelson. By doing this and holding onto the previous successes of the government they are waiting for the economy to collapse and the "I told you so" vote. If Turnbull was elected leader now, they totally close that option as he has a completely different direction which is fair enough. I personally think it’s quite calculated as they basically are waiting to see if things go their way in terms of the economy and the effects of labor policies on, industrial relations, the environment and education. If they don't, they can rush whoever in after a year and a bit.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
withoutaface said:
Turnbull was going around making pronouncements about the Aboriginals, Kyoto and the like without consulting the party room, .
Yeah I think that hubris must have been significant. To me, it just looked like he knew he had the numbers. Nelson was looking pretty defeated saying "it's an important meeting tomorrow" etc.

But there you go.

Must be pretty depressing for Howard to watch his legacy being hacked away at. I wonder if anyone imagined that less than a week from the election Nelson would be leading the Libs.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I watched Nelson on the Sky News Election telecast. He's not charismatic enough to be the party leader.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The next recession is not due this term. It will happen in about 2011, since the global cyclical downturn occurred in 2001 (Australia managed to minimise its effects through slightly expansionary monetary policy and the resources boom). So it won't happen in 2008 but in approx 2011 which hopefully for Rudd will be just after his second election win. If Rudd is to be dislodged in the future, it will not be by Turnbull, whose background - so long as his opponents emphasises it - makes him practically unelectable.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
_dhj_ said:
The next recession is not due this term. It will happen in about 2011, since the global cyclical downturn occurred in 2001 (Australia managed to minimise its effects through slightly expansionary monetary policy and the resources boom). So it won't happen in 2008 but in approx 2011 which hopefully for Rudd will be just after his second election win. If Rudd is to be dislodged in the future, it will not be by Turnbull, whose background - so long as his opponents emphasises it - makes him practically unelectable.
I dont really agree, but am willing to believe you dhj
...How could I ever doubt you again?

Conspirocy

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
_dhj_ said:
His background? You do realise we just elected the second richest man in parliament prime minister, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)