Bring two calculators into the exam?? (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

I remember last year in a Maths exam, my calculator stuffed up (luckily I hit it and the display came back), and ever since then I've used a new calculator.

But I was just wondering. Do you think it's worthwhile bringing two calculators into the exam (especially the HSC exam) - better to be safe than sorry??
I never have before, because obviously I look like an idiot and you look suspicious to teachers with two calculators.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lotsa people do it. personally i never did, but i can understand why you would. and no, you wouldnt look like a tool doing it.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
yep i took 2 calcs in 2u maths, 3u maths, chem and physics ;p just in case u know....that was the advice my yr 10 teacher gave me in yr 10 and i carried it out in HSC:)

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i brought 2 calculators with me to all my assessments in yr 12, and lots of ppl around me did the same. you most certainly don't want to be screwed by your only calculator not working during the exam

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
yeah, do it:). I took my brother's calculator as well as mine to both my maths exams for peace of mind.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i might look like an idiot but ill bring two anyway...

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by wrx
pcx_demolition017 uve finished most of the 3u and 2u course rite?

most of the 2U course, yes. 3U is a different story though. ive got physical apps in 2U. but for 3U, ive got physical apps + binomial + inverse functions....then i think we've finished.
btw. what's that gotta do with calculators? - just curious.

kpq_sniper017

well, i have more peace of mind now, knowing that other people bring 2 calculators into the exam. no-one in my class does.....i probably will from now on.

btw. has anyone here had their calculator stuff up on them in a major exam?? just for interest.

clerisy

HSC
I brought two calculators in every maths exam since the School Certificate! I am perpetually paranoid about one conking out mid-exam-- for my half-yearlys, my 'regular' calculator started playing up the night before, and my mother could not understand why I couldn't just bring in the back-up one to the exam. Fool! If I should use my backup, I should have nothing to use if it stuffed up, and besides, I have no personal connection with my backup calculator and couldn't possibly use it as my 'regular'! My mother was pulled out of bed and sent to Coles for batteries at 11.15pm... No, I couldn't bear going into an exam with only one calculator! It goes against all my superstitions!

Of course, nobody else in my class brings two calculators. I think that they're a bit embarrassed to now, really, because I spend vast amounts of time lecturing them about the virtues of two calculators and it's become an eccentric thing to do.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by clerisy
... My mother was pulled out of bed and sent to Coles for batteries at 11.15pm ...
LOL :lol: It is amazing what parents will put up with during the HSC year. Enjoy it everyone, because it won't last forever!

PS: I also took two calculators into my HSC exams - the first time that I had done so.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Hhahaha I ALWAYS take two calculators in exams with me, I think I've been doing it for a couple of years now. I know I look stupid, but I'll look stupider if my calculator stops working in the middle of my test...:p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I always take two in (but maybe it is just because I have two) but it also makes it easier because you can leave one in radians, so you wont forget to change it.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
most of the 2U course, yes. 3U is a different story though. ive got physical apps in 2U. but for 3U, ive got physical apps + binomial + inverse functions....then i think we've finished.
btw. what's that gotta do with calculators? - just curious.
sorry :) im gonna start taking two calculators into exams...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yep i always had 2 calculators for exams...
only started at beginning of yr12

no you won't look like an idiot cause a lot of people do it!

speersy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :kaz.n:
im in year 11 amd for our term 1 tests every1 had 2 calcs
wow I have never heard of anybody doing it till now. It is pretty logical though, i think i would start hyperventilating and pass out in the HSC exam if my calculator died.

How many extra pens do people take into exams??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
I always take two in (but maybe it is just because I have two) but it also makes it easier because you can leave one in radians, so you wont forget to change it.

hehehe, in theory that would work for most ppl but my horrible memory will have me finishing the whole paper on the radian calculator while the one in "deg" just sits on the side :p then two minutes before the exam finishes i will realise! :eek:

im going to bring two calculators and leave BOTH in deg mode and just figure out radians on paper :D

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by speersy
wow I have never heard of anybody doing it till now. It is pretty logical though, i think i would start hyperventilating and pass out in the HSC exam if my calculator died.

How many extra pens do people take into exams??

lol.....i take about 6 pens into every exam.
- i take my 2 lucky black pilot pens (superstition to a degree, but they are good pens - v. good for english essays)
- one spare black ball point pen
- a blue ball point pen
- two red pens
+ pencils etc.
this is only for maths though.
for english, it's usually just the two black pilot pens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)