Britain Shaped the World says Tony Abbot (1 Viewer)

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Trefoil said:
It sounds like a good idea.

Why exactly are people disagreeing? Forget about the man, his actual words carry weight.

Which would you prefer, learning about sand dwellers and farmers, or learning about Greek wars and British exploration of the world (including pirates!)?

I'm sure the PC brigade can still figure out a way to cram their stuff into it. It's not like the aborigines were the only people the Brits oppressed.

I'd hope they include some Spanish history too (including Portuguese), though, since it is intertwined with British, but also probably just as influential.

The French were rather impotent.
no1 is crying about anything. i just proposed that 1 eastern civilization should be put forward aswell. ie persian, indus valley, or chinese

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
MissSarajevo said:
You speak english becacuse you have to, thanks to British superiority over its european rivals and domination of the world, that is the british legacy.

And rest of the world copied British parliamentary system because it is the best, that is called a legacy.

If Australia was colonised by any other european nation it will be a third world poor trash country, just look at all other european colonies, except those colonised by the brits, they are all poor 3rd world. Where as british colonies like Australia, USA, Canada and New Zealand are all 1st world, the best countries in the world.
Of course, my above post was agreeing with the general idea - teaching British history - not the person (you, or Tony Abbot).

In fact, you are a bigoted fool.

And you're also wrong. The majority of Europe isn't British and wasn't colonised by the British, but is of the same or superior levels of development (e.g. Spain, France, Germany, Scandinavia, Italy).

Citing central Europe and old Soviet states as evidence of Britain's superiority is kind of... dull.

A list of countries in Europe by HDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index#Europe

It's only the top 10 - that's why you don't see Britain listed. ;) (But to be fair, Ireland is)

A list of countries in GDP per capita (click the arrows in the column a few times to arrange in decreasing order): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Britain is listed 11th. But of the first 10, 9 are European countries, and again, the only one with any significant ties to Britain is Ireland.

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
slickstar_01 said:
no1 is crying about anything. i just proposed that 1 eastern civilization should be put forward aswell. ie persian, indus valley, or chinese
They should be covered in a general sense, sure, but you have to admit they are certainly not as relevant to the past couple hundred years of European history.

They'd be very relevant to China, Iran, India, etc. But Australia is a product of Europe, so I don't think they should simply be given coverage just for the sake of 'fairness' or something. If resources permitted, I'd like every single civilisation - alive and dead - to be taught.

Keep in mind Britain was involved with many of those places, so it's not like they wouldn't be at least briefly covered.

Lentern

HSC
Trefoil said:
They should be covered in a general sense, sure, but you have to admit they are certainly not as relevant to the past couple hundred years of European history.

They'd be very relevant to China, Iran, India, etc. But Australia is a product of Europe, so I don't think they should simply be given coverage just for the sake of 'fairness' or something. If resources permitted, I'd like every single civilisation - alive and dead - to be taught.

Keep in mind Britain was involved with many of those places, so it's not like they wouldn't be at least briefly covered.
It is a matter of drawing the line as to how indirectly they shaped our lives, does the cut off point come with John Howard? Gough Whitlam? Sir Henry Parkes? Arthur Philip? Napoleon? Caesar? Alexander? Xerxes? Abraham-no not really Abraham I just wanted to antagonise the militant agnostics on this place. But the objection isn't so much with the comment standing alone, or atleast I hope not, but with an unashamed anglophile again showing his true colours in such a revolting fashion.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Trefoil said:

of course i admit that. i am proposing this idea on the bases of our close proximity to India and china. after all, anybody can see that australia's economic future will be tied with Asia.

alansarim

HSC
HNAKXR said:
honestly Australians bitch more about their worthless history than Arabs.
You need to learn more about the history of the Arabs my friend...

lionking1191

HSC
Rebekkie said:
brit did at one point have an empire that covered 30% of the (land part of the) globe. and over 25% of the entire world's population.
the mongolians once conquered half the world. pick a random american off the street and 99% they won't know what a 'mongolian' is

alansarim

HSC
lionking1191 said:
the mongolians once conquered half the world. pick a random american off the street and 99% they won't know what a 'mongolian' is
lol... not just Americans, almost all westerners...

I don't think the British had an empire to the extent of the following... the Islamic and the Mongolian Empires...

Last edited:

MissSarajevo

HSC
Trefoil said:
Of course, my above post was agreeing with the general idea - teaching British history - not the person (you, or Tony Abbot).

In fact, you are a bigoted fool.

And you're also wrong. The majority of Europe isn't British and wasn't colonised by the British, but is of the same or superior levels of development (e.g. Spain, France, Germany, Scandinavia, Italy).

Citing central Europe and old Soviet states as evidence of Britain's superiority is kind of... dull.

A list of countries in Europe by HDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index#Europe

It's only the top 10 - that's why you don't see Britain listed. ;) (But to be fair, Ireland is)

A list of countries in GDP per capita (click the arrows in the column a few times to arrange in decreasing order): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

Britain is listed 11th. But of the first 10, 9 are European countries, and again, the only one with any significant ties to Britain is Ireland.
You are an idiot. We are comparing Britain, Spain, portugal, French etc as Colonial powers as all of them at one time were great powers with colonies allover the world. I did not say Britain colonised Europe.

Spain colonised and settled much of Latin America and look at them from Mexico to Argentina, they are all 3rd world poor trash countries.

Portuguese colonised Brazil and Congo and settled in brazil, Look at them both countries are the poorest countries respectively in their continent.

French colonised many parts of western and central africa but didnot settled them, so it is understandable that those ex french ex colonies are poor.

Britain on the other hand, colonised and settled USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and turned them into the world's greatest and best countries.

If HDI has any meaning then why oh why Iceland no 1 in HDI is a bankrupt poor trash country now? :lol:

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
alansarim said:
You need to learn more about the history of the Arabs my friend...
please enlighten me on the history of arabs prior to islam...OH WAIT! it does NOT FUCKING EXIST. the arabs destroyed every iota of their own history on the basis of Islam. heck, this can still be seen in the 21st century when the prophet Muhammad's house was ....wait....demolished....because.....his house is not allowed to exist according to some fucking up Wahhabi law.

so please, enlighten me on this so called pre Islamic Arab history.

lionking1191

HSC
MissSarajevo said:
You are an idiot. We are comparing Britain, Spain, portugal, French etc as Colonial powers as all of them at one time were great powers with colonies allover the world. I did not say Britain colonised Europe.

Spain colonised and settled much of Latin America and look at them from Mexico to Argentina, they are all 3rd world poor trash countries.

Portuguese colonised Brazil and Congo and settled in brazil, Look at them both countries are the poorest countries respectively in their continent.

French colonised many parts of western and central africa but didnot settled them, so it is understandable that those ex french ex colonies are poor.

Britain on the other hand, colonised and settled USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and turned them into the world's greatest and best countries.

If HDI has any meaning then why oh why Iceland no 1 in HDI is a bankrupt poor trash country now? :lol:
well the kronur WAS 144% over-valued...

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
alansarim said:
lol... not just Americans, almost all westerners...

I don't think the British had an empire to the extent of the following... the Islamic and the Mongolian Empires...
bro, Indonesia was not part of the Islamic empire you fuck head.

alansarim

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
please enlighten me on the history of arabs prior to islam...OH WAIT! it does NOT FUCKING EXIST. the arabs destroyed every iota of their own history on the basis of Islam. heck, this can still be seen in the 21st century when the prophet Muhammad's house was ....wait....demolished....because.....his house is not allowed to exist according to some fucking up Wahhabi law.

so please, enlighten me on this so called pre Islamic Arab history.
BEFORE ISLAM... ARABS WERE TRIBAL IDIOTS... BUT THEY REMAINED ARABS AFTER ISLAM...

I am talking about the Arabic Empires after Islam... And I agree with you the stupid Wahhabi idiots are destroying the Image of Islam in our current society...

THANX FOR CORRECTING ME... I SHOULD HAVE SAID ISLAMIC HISTORY NOT ARAB HISTORY... But calm down next time u respond plz...

alansarim

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
bro, Indonesia was not part of the Islamic empire you fuck head.
again. plz dont use bad language... and secondly... it converted to Islam as early as the fifteenth century... Islam spread through it peacefully hence it did not because part of the growing Islamic Empire... It had its own empire... but still it was a Muslim nation...

ASNSWR127

HSC
If only Tony Abbott hand't said it...

However since he did it cannot be treated as a serious statement open for debate and qualification, instead we must all all laugh at his obvious stupidity.

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
alansarim said:
again. plz dont use bad language... and secondly... it converted to Islam as early as the fifteenth century... Islam spread through it peacefully hence it did not because part of the growing Islamic Empire... It had its own empire... but still it was a Muslim nation...
wait, your statement is very contributory. on one hand you say it was part of the isalmic empire...and then you say it had its own empire...when it really never was an empire....make up your fucking mind.

edit: true. Islam did arrive to Indonesia peacefully.

alansarim

HSC
slickstar_01 said:
wait, your statement is very contributory. on one hand you say it was part of the isalmic empire...and then you say it had its own empire...when it really never was an empire....make up your fucking mind.

edit: true. Islam did arrive to Indonesia peacefully.
Islam spread to Indonesia via merchants and traders between the kingdom of Singhasari and Majapahit, and that of Malacca and the sultunate of Mataram. both sultunates of malacca and Mataram were followers of Islam...

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
alansarim said:
Islam spread to Indonesia via merchants and traders between the kingdom of Singhasari and Majapahit, and that of Malacca and the sultunate of Mataram. both sultunates of malacca and Mataram were followers of Islam...
by your definition of empires....there are christian empires, white empires, African empires, arab empires, Asian empires, capitalist empires...etc etc.

your a fuckin joke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)