Brogden resigns (1 Viewer)

F

futile_blather

santaslayer said:
ahahahah...he attempted suicide....lolz
Thanks for bringing a lasting degree of intelligence to this thread you imbecile.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Generator said:
Today's SMH has a number of articles discussing Brogden and his resignation. The piece from the Sun-Herald journo that he propositioned may be of particular interest. Even though I don't doubt her version of the night's events (how could I as a mere keyboard warrior), but I cannot help but think that her interpretation may well be slightly overdone, especially when his staffers were standing by as the night wore on. Then again, I'm just hoping for the best when it comes to modern day political staffers and one who seems to be one of the few moderates left within today's Liberal Party. For a cynic, that doesn't seem to make much sense, but I think that the feeling has been fuelled in part (or in full) after listening to however many irate 702 listeners criticise Brogden for his 'racist' remarks. Just to be clear, in no way am I disputing that the comments were completely inappropriate, but it's a bit of a stretch to suggest a joke in very poor taste is indicative of an underlying tendency towards racist beliefs, especially when in the past he has been criticised by many within the Liberal party for being too moderate.

To think that I was almost willing to preference a state Liberal party with a moderate leader following on from the recent upheaval in the state Labor party at the next election, even though 2007 is still not near. Oh well, here's to the state political parties becoming forces that are worthy of our support... Someday.

As an aside, it's intersting to note that Brogden made quite a few policy announcements in recent weeks, something that was more than a slight departure from his general pattern of nothing but near constant criticism of the Labor Government (that's to be expected when one is in opposition, though). Perhaps he was informed as to the spreading of the stories and sought to deflect attention as best as he could without drawing any unwanted scrutiny? Eh, I'm tired so I'll stop the late night musings right about now (well, what passes for "late night musings" from the forum's ever present Generator :)).

Edit: An article from The Australian's NSW state political reporter, Andrew West - Brogden quits, blaming party.
I thought she overdid it a little as well. I doubt she would have gotten so het up had it had been just some guy, not Brogden

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think people are forgetting people like jeff kennet, who would have said this and the public wouldn't have beat an eyelid.
That's because the eyelid gag is racist, Australians arent violent and no body listens to Jeff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)