B's in a report (1 Viewer)

drellafemes

HSC
N/A
Is it ok to have a few B's in your report when applying to a selective school? Especially is they are electives such as history, commerce and pe? Considering that the rest are As?

such_such

HSC
If there's an entrance exam - yes
If there isn't - not very important as long as you get more A's

And besides, B is pretty good already.

D94

HSC
N/A
Is it ok to have a few B's in your report when applying to a selective school? Especially is they are electives such as history, commerce and pe? Considering that the rest are As?
It probably wouldn't matter too much, but consider the fact that you probably chose those electives. And by inference, you probably like those subjects, and by assumption, you should have performed considerably well. And since you choose your subjects for the HSC, I would assume a selective school would want those students who excel in subjects which they choose.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
There is no B in Asian.

Seriously though, Bs aren't all that bad.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
It all comes down to the quality of the applicant pool.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally, yes.

There are always factors to consider:
- The quality of the other applicants'
- Whether there is an entrance exam or not (the entrance exam reduces the weighting of your report(s) towards your application)
- Whether if it's a partial or fully selective school.

Usually, you'd want more As than Bs for better chances. However, there are people who get all Bs or majority of their report are Bs but still manage to make it into fully selective schools. These schools tend to use the entrance exam as an indicator to judge a student's academic level rather than their reports as they know some schools can be harsh or easy on grades compared to others.

drellafemes

HSC
N/A
thanks guys! im trying out for these schools:

-sydney boys (no entrance exam) I am a national sportsmen so hopefully they will consider me
-Manly select (no entrance exam) recommendations from 2 teachers
-north sydney boys (entrance exam)

so let me get this straight....if i try out for north sydney boys...i need a better report? And when i meant electives i meant the compulsory history and geography subjects for year 10 :p commerce is my only elective Ive chose.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks guys! im trying out for these schools:

-sydney boys (no entrance exam) I am a national sportsmen so hopefully they will consider me
-Manly select (no entrance exam) recommendations from 2 teachers
-north sydney boys (entrance exam)

so let me get this straight....if i try out for north sydney boys...i need a better report? And when i meant electives i meant the compulsory history and geography subjects for year 10 :p commerce is my only elective Ive chose.
Here's the GENERAL rule:
- If there is an entrance exam, your report doesn't have to be too spectacular. Just smash the exam.
- If there isn't an entrance exam, your report needs to be brilliant.

Always aim for as many As as you can. Bs are alright.

I'd say you have a good shot at Sydney Boys.

Good luck.

loaves

HSC
Yeah, B's aren't ideal but Sydney Boys loves sporting achievements so you have a fairly good chance.

Levity

HSC
The entrance exam for North Sydney Boys is pretty hard according to people who did it in my Year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)