BSc(Advanced Mathematics) (1 Viewer)

zeek

HSC
I was looking over the Science book for USyd today and came across the course structure for the BSc(Advanced Mathematics) course. In the second year, students must complete two mathematics subjects (equal to 12cp?). I just wanted to know if this is compulsory? What happens if you wanted to do another subject ontop of what you are allowed, so in total, 2 maths + 3 electives?

TIA

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It is compulsory, especially if you want to major in Mathematics which is the whole point of the course anyway.

tennille

HSC
This degree requires you to major in advanced mathematics. As a result, it is compulsory to do two maths subjects in second year.

You should be able to overload in second year. I think the maximum amount of credit points per semester you can do without permission is 30. This will allow you to do one extra subject.

zeek

HSC
w00t got into BSc(Advanced) :D but i didn't make BSc(Advanced Math) even though i had EAS :confused:

Did anyone on BoS make it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
zeek said:
w00t got into BSc(Advanced) :D but i didn't make BSc(Advanced Math) even though i had EAS :confused:

Did anyone on BoS make it?
For Advanced Math, EAS does not apply, which means that you have to got 98.95 or whatever to get in. Your only pure mark is taken into account.

By the way, it there a good job prospect if you do Advanced Mathematics course? I was just wondering if you could get any job if you are mathematician

ssglain

HSC
You need at 12cp of intermediate maths as pre-requisite for all the senior units anyway, unless you're taking one through TSP. I'm making a non-serious attempt at MATH3065 for leisure this semester (1 lecture every fortnight just isn't going to work) and I'll do it properly next year if my timetable is kinder. The bonus is that as long as it's done as a TSP unit in 1st or 2nd year it actually counts as an "advanced' unit towards your degree.

@ zeek: You can very easily start off with B Sc (Adv) and end up with B Sc (Adv Maths), if that's what you want to do. As long as you meet the award criteria for for Adv Maths they'll transfer you over at the end.

That being said, it won't work in my case since it requires them to introduce a new course code for B Sc (Adv Maths)/MBBS. Damn it. I'll just have to live a B Sc (Adv) mathematics major.

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ssglain said:
You need at 12cp of intermediate maths as pre-requisite for all the senior units anyway, unless you're taking one through TSP. I'm making a non-serious attempt at MATH3065 for leisure this semester (1 lecture every fortnight just isn't going to work) and I'll do it properly next year if my timetable is kinder. The bonus is that as long as it's done as a TSP unit in 1st or 2nd year it actually counts as an "advanced' unit towards your degree.
Haha, non-serious attempt :p I don't even know whether I'll be able to maintain the HD average needed to keep myself in the Physics TSP program after first year :eek:

ssglain

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Haha, non-serious attempt :p I don't even know whether I'll be able to maintain the HD average needed to keep myself in the Physics TSP program after first year :eek:
Wow! You need a HD average to stay in Physics TSP? Maybe that's why you get to go on all the cool excursion... and walk on satellite dishes. I'm sure you'll manage without sweat.

There must be very subtle differences in the way TSP works between Phys and Maths then. :p I'm literally allowed to fail MATH3065. If I'm happy with the grade then I enrol in it retrospectively and claim the credit points, otherwise I pretend it never happened - my transcript will say I completely a TSP project but won't show any results. However, since my timetable circumstances are the way they are, I've already arranged to not take part in any assessments this semester. I'm basically just going to turn up once every couple of weeks to a lecture and go to a tute weekly cos it's fun. :eek:

Are you doing a showcase project? I'm doing the maths one - optimising carbon emissions trading.

You know, one of these days you should say hi if you bump into me.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
ssglain said:
Wow! You need a HD average to stay in Physics TSP? Maybe that's why you get to go on all the cool excursion... and walk on satellite dishes. I'm sure you'll manage without sweat.

There must be very subtle differences in the way TSP works between Phys and Maths then. :p I'm literally allowed to fail MATH3065. If I'm happy with the grade then I enrol in it retrospectively and claim the credit points, otherwise I pretend it never happened - my transcript will say I completely a TSP project but won't show any results. However, since my timetable circumstances are the way they are, I've already arranged to not take part in any assessments this semester. I'm basically just going to turn up once every couple of weeks to a lecture and go to a tute weekly cos it's fun. :eek:

Are you doing a showcase project? I'm doing the maths one - optimising carbon emissions trading.

You know, one of these days you should say hi if you bump into me.
Well, from what I've heard, at the very least a good D average in Physics to stay in TSP till second semester, let alone second year :( Yeah, I'll just need to do work now, I suppose :uhhuh:

Yeah, there would be differences between the way the TSP programs are run inbetween the different disciplines in the Faculty. I'm pretty sure we don't get a chance to do second/third year units in first year unless you were involved in the Physics Olympiad, but instead, in second semester we get to undertake projects relating to our interestes which replace part of our labs, which should be good, because my interests lie well outside the topics we're covering now :eek: Hehe, maths = fun? I can see a case for that :p

Yeah, I'm doing the Physics one - technological solutions one, or something like that :) Which reminds me, I should do some preliminary reading :eek:

I would, but for two problems; one, I haven't a clue what you look like, and two, umm, well, make that one reason :eek: But yeah, if I ever do happen to know what you look like, then I'll come and say hi :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)