• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BScience/BArts second year preenrolments question (1 Viewer)

dronee

HSC
N/A
hey guys,
so since the deadline for preenrolments is coming up and my exams are over i've been sitting here for over an hour and trying to figure out what to choose for my second year subjects.
basically my problem is that i just really wanted to major in psychology and i didn't think of the other units at all.

so i have the intermediate psyc units down already but a lot of the other units (D: which i don't really want to do) require junior chem.
i only took biol1001 and mblg. this is a bit of a problem for me.
i was considering taking like introduction to immunology (IMMU2101), and maybe principles of histology (ANAT2008).
-----> btw i don't even know what these subjects are like and i'm not exactly sure if i'm keen on taking them so if anyone could tell me about these it'd be cool:)

there doesn't seem to be other immunology units for second sem. and anatomy has comparative primate anatomy and concepts of neuroanatomy - i don't want to do comparative primate anatomy but neuroanatomy sounded pretty good BUT the prerequisite is BIOL1003!!!! urrrrrghhhhhhh!

i honestly don't know what i want to do apart from psychology!
i completely hated the mblg pracs and even if i was to take the intermediate units i would need chem.

should i just take junior chem units next year? what's the best thing to do?

Last edited:

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I am planning an Anatomy/Histology major so my bias would be with ANAT2008. Have you considered any Neuroscience units? That would go well with your PSYC Major - some units I believe will need chemistry. Is this for an elective unit?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Biol1003 sem 1 and ANAT2010 sem 2
Dat's what I'm doing
You can do PHSI20XX or an ANAT in sem 1 as well without doing biol1003 beforehand too so you can still get an anatomy major in the time it takes to finish your degree.

Last edited:

dronee

HSC
N/A
I am planning an Anatomy/Histology major so my bias would be with ANAT2008. Have you considered any Neuroscience units? That would go well with your PSYC Major - some units I believe will need chemistry. Is this for an elective unit?
yeah i thought neuroscience would've gone well too but i realised that you can only take neuro subjects in 3rd year. sighhhh.
i was thinking i might take up neuroscience as my second major but then i can't anymore. so idk how that works :S

so i basically don't know what to do for my other major AND the elective.

by the way do you have some idea of what ANAT will be like?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Yikes, what a downer that you can't attempt Neuroscience as a second major because that would have complimented one another quite well.

From what my friends say: "daunting long hours but worth it in the end" ~ but they're Med students so... I must warn you that we will be colouring and labelling diagrams from a book that will cost $80! But maybe that isn't ANAT2008.

Is there any particular area within science that you enjoy besides PSYC?

dronee

HSC
N/A
yeahhh, and i quite enjoyed the neuro topic in psyc too. so how does that play out if i can't take neuro as a major in second year? i am very confused haha.

$80 D: rip my non existent wallet.....is anatomy just memorising a lot of things basically? it does sounds interesting, but i'm not sure what other things i can do with it, any ideas since you're planning to major in it?

the science subjects i did were maths, psyc and bio. maths was just =_=" and i wouldn't mind taking some form of other molecular bio, but they do require chem. so i'm looking into cell biology where the only prerequisite is BIOL1001. though the 4 hour long pracs put me off - the 4 hour pracs from mblg were the worst things i've ever endured after the hsc imo.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
yeahhh, and i quite enjoyed the neuro topic in psyc too. so how does that play out if i can't take neuro as a major in second year? i am very confused haha.

$80 D: rip my non existent wallet.....is anatomy just memorising a lot of things basically? it does sounds interesting, but i'm not sure what other things i can do with it, any ideas since you're planning to major in it?

the science subjects i did were maths, psyc and bio. maths was just =_=" and i wouldn't mind taking some form of other molecular bio, but they do require chem. so i'm looking into cell biology where the only prerequisite is BIOL1001. though the 4 hour long pracs put me off - the 4 hour pracs from mblg were the worst things i've ever endured after the hsc imo.
Because of my dumb decisions I have to take on board BIOL1001 next semester (I dropped MBLG this semester and need to make up for it :C) ~ from what I remember for BIOL1003 - because I had an awesome group we always finished an hour before class was suppose to be finished. Hmm, I don't what to tell you except for do what you enjoy, and if you want to take on board Molecular Bio then make time with Chemistry Fundamentals =D.

As for anatomy and histology, yes for the most part it does seem like a lot of memorising and I am guessing that people who do plan on majoring in ANAT/HSTO would plan on doing Graduate Medicine or a Masters in the Health Sciences/Applied Sciences area eg. Diagnostic Radiography etc.

dronee

HSC
N/A
Because of my dumb decisions I have to take on board BIOL1001 next semester (I dropped MBLG this semester and need to make up for it :C) ~ from what I remember for BIOL1003 - because I had an awesome group we always finished an hour before class was suppose to be finished. Hmm, I don't what to tell you except for do what you enjoy, and if you want to take on board Molecular Bio then make time with Chemistry Fundamentals =D.

As for anatomy and histology, yes for the most part it does seem like a lot of memorising and I am guessing that people who do plan on majoring in ANAT/HSTO would plan on doing Graduate Medicine or a Masters in the Health Sciences/Applied Sciences area eg. Diagnostic Radiography etc.
haha i don't think dropping mblg was exactly a dumb idea, could've been a wise one depending on perspective. i was considering doing the same thing but i had to stay because of a bet =_= but biol1001 is very laid back, i liked it :D

hmm i might actually do anatomy then!
haha but when i said i wouldn't mind it was more of a 'if i had no other choice'.

which other anatomy unit are you taking in sem 2? anatomy suddenly became really appealing to me.

dronee

HSC
N/A
Biol1003 sem 1 and ANAT2010 sem 2
Dat's what I'm doing
You can do PHSI20XX or an ANAT in sem 1 as well without doing biol1003 beforehand too so you can still get an anatomy major in the time it takes to finish your degree.
:O it makes sense to do that! omg=_= i remember when i took biol1001 in sem 1 i thought that was the worst and i was full like 'i'm never taking bio again!' lol and then i ended up taking mblg cause it was basically the only thing i could do.
and now i can't believe i'm considering the possibility of taking bio again...

for PHSI, it's required to have done junior chem right?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
which other anatomy unit are you taking in sem 2? anatomy suddenly became really appealing to me.
ANAT2009 and ANAT2010 - or BIOL1002 depending on how "well" I am doing. =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)