Budget 2014 (1 Viewer)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
2/3rds of the western world pays for GP. Yeah I'm sure their population is facing Armageddon.
Yeah, not like we weren't paying before, money just magically appeared to fund our healthcare system, now at least we have a 7 dollar copayment for the healthcare system, oh wait no, that doesn't go into the healthcare system it goes to a research fund.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
It's half a labour hour on minimum wage. Are you seriously saying for your health and livelihood, your survival instincts won't kick in over half a labour hour?
did you ignore the post where this entire survival instinct argument becomes irrelevant?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
How ironic

I don't see people bitching about the interest which they will pay on their future uni loans ... Which will well be in the 1000's.
Healthcare & Higher level education are two different areas. Healthcare is a far more basic and crucial need.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
That isn't the case with everyone, there are people out there who don't get to spend money as comfortably as we do, they work really hard to earn what little money they get, and to them money is a lot more valuable than it would be to me or heaps of other people out there.

Sure seven dollars is worth seven dollars but the value of seven dollars is different amongst people. For someone it's a box of chocolates or a drink or two whilst for other families it may be the amount they fall short to pay a bill.
If people from Taiwan or China are able to find a job in Australia, without speaking the language, have no medicare, have no centrelink and somehow are able to SAVE $15,000 Aussie in a year (I know MANY people who have done this), I'm pretty sure Australian's are able to do the same thing. Your just unwilling unless if you are physically capable of work.

Haley: I'm just using examples that's been pointed out by the news.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...e-hockey-defends-7-gp-fee-20140515-zrdb6.html

Phaze: Yeah and I'm sure those families who are seriously having it tough don't get social benefits?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Yeah, not like we weren't paying before, money just magically appeared to fund our healthcare system, now at least we have a 7 dollar copayment for the healthcare system, oh wait no, that doesn't go into the healthcare system it goes to a research fund.
Which the research goes back into healthcare advancements. You really think the health budget doesn't have a research component attached to it?

Seriously. 7 Dollars. yeah really going to create a tale of two cities.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
That isn't the case with everyone, there are people out there who don't get to spend money as comfortably as we do, they work really hard to earn what little money they get, and to them money is a lot more valuable than it would be to me or heaps of other people out there.

Sure seven dollars is worth seven dollars but the value of seven dollars is different amongst people. For someone it's a box of chocolates or a drink or two whilst for other families it may be the amount they fall short to pay a bill.
The point is that a $7 fee won't MAKE anyone unable to go to the doctor if they need to - unless they've chosen to spend all their income on other things (beer, smokes, drugs, mcdonalds...)"

Poor people smoke and drink and that is why they can't afford things. The couldn't possibly be spending money on rent and food and basics, it is because they waste it on luxuries.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
If people from Taiwan or China are able to find a job in Australia, without speaking the language, have no medicare, have no centrelink and somehow are able to SAVE $15,000 Aussie in a year (I know MANY people who have done this), I'm pretty sure Australian's are able to do the same thing. Your just unwilling unless if you are physically capable of work.

Haley: I'm just using examples that's been pointed out by the news.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...e-hockey-defends-7-gp-fee-20140515-zrdb6.html

Phaze: Yeah and I'm sure those families who are seriously having it tough don't get social benefits?
Yeah you said it right there "People", we aren't talking about people, we're talking about families with more than one mouth to feed. I'm pretty sure not everyone is the same and everyone won't be able to do it. Physical capability isn't the only factor when it comes to being able to work, people can have other problems as well. Not everyone has an easy life where they don't have to worry about how they're going to make a small wage last for two weeks.

Also, yeah because Hockeys argument is a very unbias way to defend his own policy.

“One packet of cigarettes costs $22. That gives you three visits to the doctor. You can spend just over $3 on a middy of beer, so that's two middies of beer to go to the doctor."
“And is a parent really going to deny their sick child a visit to the doctor which would be the equivalent payment of a couple of beers or one-third of a packet of cigarettes?”

Here's a news flash, some people can't afford a pack of cigarettes or a couple of beers.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The point is that a $7 fee won't MAKE anyone unable to go to the doctor if they need to - unless they've chosen to spend all their income on other things (beer, smokes, drugs, mcdonalds...)"

Poor people smoke and drink and that is why they can't afford things. The couldn't possibly be spending money on rent and food and basics, it is because they waste it on luxuries.
you seriously do not understand how stupid you sound saying this lol

and you and isildur and joe hockey are entirely missing the point. It's not about the 7 dollar fee deterring people who need to see a doctor it's about deterring people who are already on the fence about seeing a doctor because they think their health issue is minor or they may not see the importance of routine check ups or screening

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Which the research goes back into healthcare advancements. You really think the health budget doesn't have a research component attached to it?

Seriously. 7 Dollars. yeah really going to create a tale of two cities.
Then he shouldn't have slashed the health budget and then introduced a copayment, why not allocate the money he slashed to research instead of introducing the copayment.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Actually no.

I do know people that are poor ... Yet they still buy ciggies
I know people that are poor and can't afford ciggies. For some people it's an addiction, it isn't as easy and stopping for a tonne of people.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC

Yeah you're right it may not be IMPOSSIBLE for them to go to the doctor, BUT they won't choose to, they won't want to use the money unless it's becoming a larger problem. As opposed to being able to go without a thought about money before. For some people money doesn't come easy.

I once saw a homeless man get given $20, he walked into the IGA and walked out with a packet of ciggies. Do you think that's normal behaviour, no. Not everyone can just stop smoking, some people struggle with addictions. He could have used that $20 for food but no he went with the ciggies and might have ended up sleeping on an empty stomach.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Here's a news flash, some people can't afford a pack of cigarettes or a couple of beers.
If people were spending their money on proper necessities, why has this been an issue? Australia, one of the richest countries in the world and best growing economy in the developed world, yet some people can't afford a beer or ciggies. hah.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ce...on-booze-tobacco/story-e6freuy9-1226415044967

I'm pretty sure for families in EXTREME destitute, they'd have a waiver of 7 dollars for a GP fee.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
If people were spending their money on proper necessities, why has this been an issue? Australia, one of the richest countries in the world and best growing economy in the developed world, yet some people can't afford a beer or ciggies. hah.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ce...on-booze-tobacco/story-e6freuy9-1226415044967

I'm pretty sure for families in EXTREME destitute, they'd have a waiver of 7 dollars for a GP fee.
Are you an idiot... Some families have better things to spend their money on instead of a beer or ciggies. Like things for their childrens education or food for them to eat at school. You've never had to go on an empty stomach because you can't afford food aye?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
That was the most generalised thing I've heard - can't believe you would say something as dumbass like that.
I believe that it is a generalised statement , but it is not stupid.

There's is logic.

Lets see where the welfare ban on alcohol will lead then.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Are you an idiot... Some families have better things to spend their money on instead of a beer or ciggies. Like things for their childrens education or food for them to eat at school. You've never had to go on an empty stomach because you can't afford food aye?
And you have? That makes you an expert on families in low income? I lived in an Aboriginal village in Taiwan when I was in year 5 and 6. You want to see real poverty and terrible housing, go there. People literally live in tin houses with concrete floors and shitty lighting. There's pretty much 0 welfare in Taiwan. None, zilch and there's a 15 dollar GP copayment. And yet somehow, they're able to send their kids to universities and one of my best mates there even became an Olympic athlete.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/2012/athletes/9d6c440a-4ded-4c78-b952-609df66fc5cc

If you're seriously arguing that a 7 dollar GP fee is going to seriously affect people going to a doctor, you got your head seriously have never lived anywhere else in the world that isn't a nanny welfare state.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I believe that it is a generalised statement , but it is not stupid.

There's is logic.

Lets see where the welfare ban on alcohol will lead then.
"Not all poor people drink or smoke ciggies"

"centrelink restricts payments on ciggies and alcohol"

yeah guess there's no real generalization right.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
And you have? That makes you an expert on families in low income? I lived in an Aboriginal village in Taiwan when I was in year 5 and 6. You want to see real poverty and terrible housing, go there. People literally live in tin houses with concrete floors and shitty lighting. There's pretty much 0 welfare in Taiwan. None, zilch and there's a 15 dollar GP copayment. And yet somehow, they're able to send their kids to universities and one of my best mates there even became an Olympic athlete.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/2012/athletes/9d6c440a-4ded-4c78-b952-609df66fc5cc

If you're seriously arguing that a 7 dollar GP fee is going to seriously affect people going to a doctor, you got your head seriously have never lived anywhere else in the world that isn't a nanny welfare state.
Didn't say it made me an expert, I just sure as hell know life isn't a walk in the park and adding more possible expenses isn't going to make their life any easier. Don't compare us to nations that have it worse because their are nations that have it better as well. I don't need to go to Taiwan to see real poverty and terrible housing, it isn't the only country in the world you can go to see it.

The price of living is more here, the price of goods and services is more, so a larger portion of the families income is going to be spent on important things they can't avoid. If you think it wont affect people you're struggling to understand peoples lives arent the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)