Buisness Studies (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
i know it is not a prerequsite subject or anything but is commerce necessary to do buisness studies. what i mean is how much of an advantage is commerce, i am kind of worried, because i never did commerce but i wish to do business studies next year and i dont want to be handicapped right from the start.
thank you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
primeobjective said:
i know it is not a prerequsite subject or anything but is commerce necessary to do buisness studies. what i mean is how much of an advantage is commerce, i am kind of worried, because i never did commerce but i wish to do business studies next year and i dont want to be handicapped right from the start.
thank you
Not at all. Business Studies is not an assumed knowledge for any course.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
no way man. you just need knowledge of 2 or 3 u maths is all.

HSC
wendus said:
no way man. you just need knowledge of 2 or 3 u maths is all.
WHAT?!?! You need 2/3 unit maths to do well in business studies? lulz.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
OH no i didn't mean that! lol i meant you needed 2/3u maths knowledge to get into commerce at uni, but it wasn't a prerequisite. hahahaha

HSC
wendus said:
OH no i didn't mean that! lol i meant you needed 2/3u maths knowledge to get into commerce at uni, but it wasn't a prerequisite. hahahaha
oh yeh, i can understand that. i was just like...wtf...you don't even need maths for business studies.

fair mistake. i forgive you.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
oh good. i should've probs read his question properly first!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you don't need Commerce to do Business Studies. But it definetly does help.

lionking1191

HSC
nah u don't need anything. you don't even need to know how to spell

HSC
Due to the concepts in business studies being so easy, and most of it being rehashed commerce work, having done commerce may in fact be detrimental because you find the work so incredibly easy, boring and repetitive. So don't worry about it.

HSC
N/A
ok thanks, so i dont actually need to do commerce in years 9 and 10 to do buisness in year 11,

but can someone please tell how does it actually help to have done it???

thanks

suzlee

HSC
Commerce as an elective through y9-10 would help because it introduces you to the basic concepts of commerce.... Going into your first class of business studies in year 11 with that background knowledge must be an advantage to some degree, I guess.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
It will help but you will learn all the concepts that you need to know in Business Studies.

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
I did commerce in year 9 and 10 and imo, it hasn't really helped me in business studies.

ital101

HSC
Commerce is not required for Business Studies, although I believe it gave me a very good introduction to the course.

For some reason, the HSIE Coordinator at my school, she told us in Year 8 when we were choosing electives,
"Commerce is an excellent, practical course. I think taking it is good preparation for Legal Studies and Economics, if you're into that and want to do one or both of those subjects in Yr 11."

Yeah, she said something along those lines, which was surprising, because she completely failed to mention Business Studies.

This leads me to believe that Commerce is more useful for people taking Legal Studies and/or Economics. I don't think it's at all necessary for Business Studies (which you, by the way, spelt very wrong)...so cool down, take a chill pill. It's not at all vital to take Comm for this course.

It would only have been a tiny help anyway, I take back what I said about it helping you a lot, come to think of it - there's only one elective topic covering business in the Comm course 'Running a Small Business'. :D You'll be completely fine!

Last edited:

ital101

HSC
lionking1191 said:
nah u don't need anything. you don't even need to know how to spell
ROFL

Mispelling is a serious issue, frends. I ate it wen peeple do not spel rite. :mad1:

hahahaha lolz i'm so freaking bored, man! :rofl:

str3ss3dXstdnt7

HSC
ital101 said:
Commerce is not required for Business Studies, although I believe it gave me a very good introduction to the course.

True, its not required but can give a very solid grounding for Business Studies

For some reason, the HSIE Coordinator at my school, she told us in Year 8 when we were choosing electives,
"Commerce is an excellent, practical course. I think taking it is good preparation for Legal Studies and Economics, if you're into that and want to do one or both of those subjects in Yr 11."

True also but it would equally help in Business Studies

It would only have been a tiny help anyway, I take back what I said about it helping you a lot, come to think of it - there's only one elective topic covering business in the Comm course 'Running a Small Business'. :D You'll be completely fine!
There are many aspects of Commerce that assist in Business Studies. The Running a Small Business helps, but so does 'Buying and Selling' help in marketing and ''Our Economy' assists in 'Global Business' in Year 12. There are whole sections in Commerce that are re-taught in Year 11 Business in more depth.

Overall though I believe that students who do Commerce generally do better in the HSIE subjects of Legal, Business and Economics. Unless you already have a eye for business I think Commerce is a good choice for year 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)