Bullshitting Statistics/Graphs (1 Viewer)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I recently scored quite well in an Economics essay by bullshitting statistics and graphs. They weren't completely bull shit as in I knew the general shape of the graph and I knew an approximate value for the statistic. But would you get away with this in the HSC exam? Would the markers actually research your stuff?

Princess Leng

HSC
dude, i pretty much bullshitted all my "facts" in each of my social sciences (eco, business and legal). they don't research sh!t.

layzeehbum

HSC
LOL

um my friend's friend's once full on bullshitted in one of the exam where she has to write about a case study. apparently i heard she got a pretty high mark like in the 90s. really funny thou for a fake case study ^^

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Your bullshitted statistics/graphs shouldn't appear as if you bullshitted them.

That's all it is required...how ironic.

gnrlies

HSC
'Bullshitting' a graph? how is this possible?

You shouldn't have to be plotting a graph with real values in an eco essay anyway so you would either know the graph or you wouldn't. Whatever graph you 'bullshit' will convey some kind of meaning to the reader so you can't exactly pull it from thin air. It has to either come from something youve seen before, or you can quite legimately come up with your own representations of economic theory in the form of a graph if you are clever enough.

As for statistics:- trust me. By the time of the HSC you will know every satistic that you could even think of. You have plenty of time to study between the trials and the HSC and if you dont have a good grasp of real statistical values then you are lost cause. For Australian statistics you should know them accurately as the marker will almost certainly (unless its some obscure statistic that is uncommon). Consider that the markers read many many essays and will be familiar with the numbers.

As for statistics relevant to your case study:- this is a little less clear. I would still not encourage making up statistics, but because the data is unlikely to be as reliable (as different students may be using non-current data), and of course there are many different countries that can be chosen which makes it harder for the marker to remember all the figures (much less know who is telling the truth). But certainly, they arent going to go and research your stats in the middle of an exam marking session.

For your in class assessments, maybe your teacher will be a little easier on you at first, but they will start to pull you up on things like false statistics as the year goes on. But thats ok because you will get better as the year goes on.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
gnrlies said:
'Bullshitting' a graph? how is this possible?

You shouldn't have to be plotting a graph with real values in an eco essay anyway so you would either know the graph or you wouldn't. Whatever graph you 'bullshit' will convey some kind of meaning to the reader so you can't exactly pull it from thin air. It has to either come from something youve seen before, or you can quite legimately come up with your own representations of economic theory in the form of a graph if you are clever enough.

As for statistics:- trust me. By the time of the HSC you will know every satistic that you could even think of. You have plenty of time to study between the trials and the HSC and if you dont have a good grasp of real statistical values then you are lost cause. For Australian statistics you should know them accurately as the marker will almost certainly (unless its some obscure statistic that is uncommon). Consider that the markers read many many essays and will be familiar with the numbers.

As for statistics relevant to your case study:- this is a little less clear. I would still not encourage making up statistics, but because the data is unlikely to be as reliable (as different students may be using non-current data), and of course there are many different countries that can be chosen which makes it harder for the marker to remember all the figures (much less know who is telling the truth). But certainly, they arent going to go and research your stats in the middle of an exam marking session.

For your in class assessments, maybe your teacher will be a little easier on you at first, but they will start to pull you up on things like false statistics as the year goes on. But thats ok because you will get better as the year goes on.
Inflation over the last few years, Monetary policy, Economic growth. All that kind of stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnrlies

HSC
kaz1 said:
Inflation over the last few years, Monetary policy, Economic growth. All that kind of stuff.
Yes of course, but you dont need to put time series graphs in your essays anyway. So why waste your time making them up?

ttong

HSC
as long as they dont know hehehe. but why bs when the facts are available...

Tastegud

HSC
It's really easy to bullshit when it's a country like Egypt or something where teachers aren't sure as to the country's economy. But SOME economic teachers might shit all over you for bullshitting statistics.

But tbh, it's not in the syllabus or the marking criteria that you have to get the statistics FULLY CORRECT.
Just pretend you know shit, and do :)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
you can bullshit statistics, but dont bullshit graphs.

btw i bullshitted my stats for the HSC and got 88:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)