• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bullying. (1 Viewer)

Zrap

glock9
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/r...llied-at-school/2008/02/13/1202760349449.html

Reese Witherspoon wants her children to be bullied at school.
The Legally Blonde actress - who has two children, eight-year-old Ava and Deacon, four, from her marriage to Ryan Philippe - says being teased in school helps build character.
She said: "I wouldn't want my children to miss out on any of that teasing and bullying - don't you think it kind of makes you who you are?
"I distinctly recall the two weeks of crying because I didn't make the softball team. It made me interesting. Hopefully, it helps kids really understand who they are. You know, figure out who they are."
Discuss.
Who thinks bullying shapes character etc

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
People need to build a thick skin but I don't think that endorsing school bullying is going to help that so much as increase mental illness.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
I dont think anyone would want to bully a little witherspoon,
her kids, they'll probably just taunt him and call his mum a MILF, later on
in high school rofl.
But i guess some arent as lucky, for different people i guess it
either affects you positively or negatively.

Evilo

HSC
Ryan Philippe - says being teased in school helps build character.
She said: "I wouldn't want my children to miss out on any of that teasing and bullying - don't you think it kind of makes you who you are?
Lets find his kids, kick their face in, and see if Ryan retracts that statement.

Evilo

HSC
Zrap said:
But i guess some arent as lucky, for different people i guess it
either affects you positively or negatively.
true, i mean the occasional amount of teasing makes you stronger, but at the most part, bullying is a negative thing. Nobody really 'bullied' me because i was bigger than them, but still i saw many kids leave schools, breakdowns, go crazy, fight people, death threats, depression etc. It's not a pretty sight. At school i wouldnt be afraid (especially in the latter years) to defend myself physically, but fortunatly never needed to.

Evilo

HSC
bassistx said:
I'm calling DoCS on you! :p
hahaha i had to google docs to find out what it was :p
ya gotta find me first, the trick is not to get caught. ;)

bassistx

HSC
See? If you ain't bullied/abused, you never find out about fabulous stuff like "DoCS" and "Kids Helpline" lol :)

But in all seriousness, bullying doesn't make you tougher or more tolerant. In fact, it just makes you weaker and weaker. I can't remember exactly, but crap over the years (from all those fkd Lebanese girls I hate and some Greek bitches) has really broken me down to the point where one word can make me cry. I've never been a very sensitive person, but one wrong word (whether intentional or not) can really set me off. I eventually developed an eating disorder, wanted to die, lost my appitite and never wanted to speak to anybody again. I can't blame those girls for everything though because 85% if not more was my parent's fault.

EDIT: They weren't teasing my physique - I just had to make that clear. Most people assume that EDs develop because of body-related issues when they're in fact a lot more emotional. And I'm not saying I don't take any responsibility of the "result", but you don't just wake up one day and decide you're worthless. People's words and actions lead you to believe so, so yeah, it's their fault.

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
You build character from not being bullied.

I agree with Nebuchanezzar, clearly an unfit parent. Who would want their child/children to be bullied and tormented in school?? That's crazy and could lead to depression or worse, suicide if help is not provided.

When does Witherspoon think she will intervene in her child's bullying regime? "Oh kids that's enough bullying for now, but later I'll let you be tormented, teased and put-down so you can be a stronger, better person. Don't question me because of course this will work. Look how I turned out." ....... Pffftt!!!

Sick and sad.

(Yay I made 50 posts! Woot! :))

Last edited:

abezz

HSC
i can peronally say, that being picked on was an important lesson for me,and frankly has made me a stronger person.

The faster a kid learns that not everybody is nice, the better in the long run.

go outside and watch people, there are bullies everywere. the faster a person
learns to deal with them the better.

im not saying that schools should allow bullying willy-nilly
but everyone has to learn to defend themselves sometime......

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
so how would you go about letting bullying occur in a strictly controlled fashion eh, abezz?

abezz

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
so how would you go about letting bullying occur in a strictly controlled fashion eh, abezz?
bullies seldom continue if you actually stand up for yourself and are not afraid to report it.

the thing is if you operate on an "eye for an eye" basis, the bullies stop.

the threat of "Consequences for their actions" in my experience scares bullies more than anything (IE suspension, expulsion) or in the real world court/prison.....

most kids who freak out when they are bullied freak out because they "dont want anymore trouble". making a lot of noise when you are being bullied, ends it. fast
(by noise i mean reporting it, defending yourself or both)

defending yourself is very important, because frankly, anyone who thinks bullying is going to disapper, is very niave.

let me now ask you: how would you go about making bullies stop?

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
mr_brightside said:
Reese said it 'tard.

learn2read
Whatever. Clearly they will create one retarted child anyway.

Learn to spell.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
abezz said:
bullies seldom continue if you actually stand up for yourself and are not afraid to report it.

the thing is if you operate on an "eye for an eye" basis, the bullies stop.

the threat of "Consequences for their actions" in my experience scares bullies more than anything (IE suspension, expulsion) or in the real world court/prison.....

most kids who freak out when they are bullied freak out because they "dont want anymore trouble". making a lot of noise when you are being bullied, ends it. fast
(by noise i mean reporting it, defending yourself or both)

defending yourself is very important, because frankly, anyone who thinks bullying is going to disapper, is very niave.

let me now ask you: how would you go about making bullies stop?
Yeah you are sorta right.

Bullying sucks, it causes severe mental anguish, depression, eating disorders amongst others. Its not really a good thing.
The problem is that the world isnt a good place, other people arent nice and just about everyone you will ever meet in your life would fuck you over to benefit themselves. Bullying at least teaches you this lesson early on in a controlled environment where you arent going to come to any severe physical or financial harm.

People who dont learn this lesson and walk around naively thinking everyone is nice end up getting mugged, beaten, taken advantage of and their life savings drained from their accounts.

Bullying is shit, but so is the real world. Consider it a life lesson in what other people can be like and learn to deal with it effectively, because i can guarantee you that there will be "bullies" as an adult aswell, and knowing how to deal with them or being suspicious of their motives is an important part of life.

I got bullied a little bit in primary school, but once i went to high school where i knew no one, that shit didn't really happen because by then i had learned how to deal with bullies.

beleivable threats of severe physical damage or getting them expelled will make them cut out the bullshit real quick. After all, they are human as well, and no one wants to be permanently brain damaged because you pushed the nerdy little kid too far and he broke your skull with a baseball bat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)