Burning out? Truth Or Myth? (1 Viewer)

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
It can be a somewhat self-perpetuating condition
or an excuse to be lazy

but some people genuinely become exhausted or 'burnt out'

that's why people always recommend balance and moderation during studying for the hsc

IamBread

HSC
Yeah it's true. Happened to a friend of mine. We were both really close throughout the whole year in MX1 and MX2 with like 1% at most separating us. Then in the trial I beat him by ~30% in both. I'm pretty sure he just overworked himself.

Aliyas

HSC
It's different for everyone. Some people just have a natural ability to keep studying and never exhaust themselves, but I'd say that most people aren't lucky enough to be like that xD

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Yeah it's true. Happened to a friend of mine. We were both really close throughout the whole year in MX1 and MX2 with like 1% at most separating us. Then in the trial I beat him by ~30% in both. I'm pretty sure he just overworked himself.
This happened to me before too (as in I was the one being beaten by a friend of mine in half yearly lol) but I believe it was my lack of preparation rather than 'burning out'.

I'm strongly convinced that 'burning out' very seldom occurs to high school students. Laziness is far far more common and should account for the vast majority of 'unsuccessful' grades.

Hence in answer to OP's question, it may truly exist but isn't something you really should be worried over that much imo.

IamBread

HSC
This happened to me before too (as in I was the one being beaten by a friend of mine in half yearly lol) but I believe it was my lack of preparation rather than 'burning out'.

I'm strongly convinced that 'burning out' very seldom occurs to high school students. Laziness is far far more common and should account for the vast majority of 'unsuccessful' grades.

Hence in answer to OP's question, it may truly exist but isn't something you really should be worried over that much imo.
I'm pretty sure it was burning himself out, he did a lot of study (a lot more then me anyway). It's best to take breaks so your always have a clear head and can think straight.

enoilgam

HSC
is it actually true
It happens all the time, mainly because people dont know how to pace themseleves. The HSC isnt a sprint, its more of a marathon. Most people go hard at the begining and fizzle out towards the most critical part of the year when your doing your trials and then the final exams.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I'm pretty sure it was burning himself out, he did a lot of study (a lot more then me anyway). It's best to take breaks so your always have a clear head and can think straight.
Well I'm also very sure that I studied a lot more overall than the guy I was beaten by at the time. But studying more doesn't always mean more prepared. You may attribute this to burning out, but at that time, I didn't feel that I was burning out and I simply overlooked some things that he studied thoroughly.

But that clearing head bit is true. Breaks are good for that and they are needed although I was talking more in terms of long term burning out.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Burning simply means to lose motivation. It happens alot when you focus alot on one subject like me last year when I was preparing for my MX1 exam (HSC) since I was accelerated.

You just feel like you can't be bothered to do the work but fortunately, it didn't really affect my marks. I haven't really seen people drop 30% or anything serious like that due to burn out but I've seen people drop out of 1st to be 4th or 5th.

So-joo

HSC
I've been through the burning out, although it was in year 11. I was in the top for all my classes during 3 terms; I don't remember doing anything social or something other than assingments and studying.

Then when Term 4 came, I just flipped and didn't study for my prelims at all because I simply couldn't be fucked.

So. Don't study too extremely, unless you can handle it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Honestly, from what i have seen even if you hardly studied/worked at all come HSC period (especially with later exams) it's easy to feel "burned out". Don't purposely study less to prevent yourself "burning out" which would be futile, but don't put off stuff like hanging out with friends or watching tv because you want to study for some absurd amount of time.

eat_well

HSC
I've never actually seen anyone in my school burn out before. The teachers keeping telling us these stories of people that just lost their motivation so I take breaks just to make sure. I lose my motivation REALLY easily :/.

dionb2014

HSC
I think it's a myth. It's more likely t go the other way. Lazy, reality check, brilliant.

HSC
I burned out during my last stint at uni. Mainly because I didn't well with the pressure of a 4 subjects/semester load (3 is way better for me to handle) plus was becoming so insanely demotivated with my uni and degree. I wasn't getting what I wanted from it, so I just sort of had a mini break down.

Not everyone can handle the same study load as everyone else, however for people who are lazy and don't even try to put in the hours, I think it's more of a case they feel cornered and now it's too late for them to change their decisions, so they feel extremely stressed rather than burning out. However with people burning out, they're putting in the hours, and they're struggling to keep up with the work and get the marks they want from it.

HSC
There's also a difference between losing your motivation temporarily and not study for a week or so but get back on the horse, and those who lose it altogether and decide to stop and do something else for good. It's somewhat to lose motivation in small doses, you can't be switched on all the time. Just as long as you get back into it and pick up where you left off.

K

khorne

only people who are weak burn out

but lucky for them they can always work at maccas and get arts degrees

60 hours of study a week minimum

And dw bbi demonduckofdoom. While most normal people in a mediocre degree can handle 4 subs a sem, you're one of those special people that go out of their way to get centre link payments

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)