Business 2010 (1 Viewer)

sickk

HSC
i asked this to one of the people in the blue shirts on the day and they said it doesnt matter, has anyone else managed to get a 3 day weekend with a business timetable yet?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Also what's the deal with dual degrees?
Can I enrol say 4 IT subjects in one semester rather then 2 of each Bus/IT?
In few words, no, you cannot have 4 IT subjects and 0 business, nor 3 and 1. 2 and 2 is the only approved course layout. I don't know if there's any rule that will stop you from enrolling in 4 of the same course subjects at a time, but the Business faculty in particular looks down on it. They'll probably say something about 'balance' and 'variation', but they have their own reasons. This is covered at IT camp, IIRC.

Purchasing Textbooks - Since you're able to look up the allocated texts for your subjects via the Co-Op site, would it be advisable to purchase them?

Some subjects, like 21129 Managing People and Organisations, involves three texts... My main concern is that if you wait until your first lecture for details on textbooks, there'd be an extensive waiting period before you'd even be able to enter the store. Online purchases would also require a set amount of time before your order arrives.
I don't recommend that you purchase textbooks early, purely because the co-op bookshop list may be wrong. If you're willing to take a chance, there's nothing to stop you from buying them before class, though. You're correct about the wait-- the line is extremely long after the first week. Can take upwards of 20 minutes to get into the store, and there's always a few security guards eyeing you so you don't steal anything.

Last edited:

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
i asked this to one of the people in the blue shirts on the day and they said it doesnt matter, has anyone else managed to get a 3 day weekend with a business timetable yet?
yes!!! went to enrolment today managed to get fri off for the spring semester..otherwise its tuesday in autumn

HSC
nope.

i get tuesday off in semester 1. semester 2 is fucked because everyone took the monday tut for law and ethics, so i'm at uni everyday. two days are only lectures though, heaps not keen to catch a two hour train for a two hour lecture then catch another two hour train home.

sickk

HSC
i also got tuedays off for the whole year, im guessing those with the 3 day weekend picked the accoutnign transactions subject or whatever its called as the elective rather than the business strategy one?

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
i also got tuedays off for the whole year, im guessing those with the 3 day weekend picked the accoutnign transactions subject or whatever its called as the elective rather than the business strategy one?

yeah im doing accounting transactions

sickk

HSC
nope.

i get tuesday off in semester 1. semester 2 is fucked because everyone took the monday tut for law and ethics, so i'm at uni everyday. two days are only lectures though, heaps not keen to catch a two hour train for a two hour lecture then catch another two hour train home.
im hearing from some of the uni students that you can show up to whatever lecture you want as they dont take attendance and its never filled up

Solano17

AussieYAnKee
HSC
im hearing from some of the uni students that you can show up to whatever lecture you want as they dont take attendance and its never filled up
i really hope this is possible so i can get a 4 day wkend in spring

krayzie_

HSC
In few words, no, you cannot have 4 IT subjects and 0 business, nor 3 and 1. 2 and 2 is the only approved course layout. I don't know if there's any rule that will stop you from enrolling in 4 of the same course subjects at a time, but the Business faculty in particular looks down on it. They'll probably say something about 'balance' and 'variation', but they have their own reasons. This is covered at IT camp, IIRC.
Doesn't really matter, been doing it for the past 3 years. I vary it every semester, if I'm fed up with one side then I do 4 subjects from the other side. No one has said anything about it.

The important thing is to pass the subjects and gain all CP's needed. The handbook is recommended study but you can do it your own way taking into account pre/co-requisites.

E.g. in the handbook it says Economics for Business in Autumn, but you can do it in Spring and and do Bus Law & Ethics in Autumn

Yeap pretty much rock up or don't.. They don't care. The only time I saw the lecturer have a cry was because people weren't attending their allocated lectures and there was people sitting on the stairs blocking the doors and sitting right at the front. Kept on happening so he got security to be at the lecture doors before lecture and only let people in who had a timetable with their SID. He blamed it on OHS and if there was a fire we would all die

HSC
if that's true... score, mondays and thursdays free in semester 2.

5233andy

HSC

Me! I've got Tuesdays and Wednesdays off in semester 1.

layzeehbum

HSC
Purchasing Textbooks - Since you're able to look up the allocated texts for your subjects via the Co-Op site, would it be advisable to purchase them?

Some subjects, like 21129 Managing People and Organisations, involves three texts... My main concern is that if you wait until your first lecture for details on textbooks, there'd be an extensive waiting period before you'd even be able to enter the store. Online purchases would also require a set amount of time before your order arrives.
No, don't buy your books til you attend the first lecture.
I wont recommend buying the MPO textbook since you wont be reading much from it (you have to do a separate reading for your tutes) and the onli time the txtbuk wud b helpful is wen u hav 2 write ur essays

layzeehbum

HSC
Yeah, welcome to uni bro!
No one even cares if you come to uni or not.
I think @ UTS, attendance is onli counted for "statistical purposes", unlike other unis where 80-90% attendance is compulsory or you got kicked out.
But of course, I'm not telling you to jig your classes or anything :p
But yeah some subjects require attendance to get bonus marks or sumting like that,

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
buying textbooks early is sometimes not a great idea because some lecturers will straight out say that only 1 or 2 out of the three recommended are actually needed, and also the co-op list is not guaranteed to be correct

5233andy

HSC
Some lecturers have already made announcements on UTS Online about textbooks, I believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)