Business & Economics Subject Review Thread (1 Viewer)

crazy_paki123

HSC
Unit Code: BUSL301
Difficulty: Easy-Moderate
Lecturer: Zaman
Tutor: Julian Dight
Year and Semester Taken: 2015 S2
Workload: Moderate
Comments: Decent subject, should get an easy Cr at least. Participation is extremely dodgy though, my mate contributed a lot every week and only got 14/20 that too after complaining whilst my other mate in the same class also got 14 and he hardly contributed at all. Other than that the final is fairly straightforward and the online quiz is based on luck as its mc but its not too hard.
Assessment Breakdown: 20% Participation, 20% Online Quiz, 60% Final

Unit Code: ECON334
Difficulty: Moderate
Lecturer: George
Tutor: Ryan Esplin for the most part
Workload: Light-Moderate
Comments: If you liked econ241 you would probably like 334 too. weeks 1-5 was basically 241 but it got a lot tougher after that. However, the assignment which is based on weeks 6-10 helps a lot in terms of understanding the concepts better. Plus they basically tell you the answers for the assignment, i think the average for the ass. is around 80%. However the midsem was hard. 16/30 average mark and the highest mark outta the people i knew (fair few ppl i knew did it) was only 21.5/30. Final was easy, all mc and he copy pasted like 35/45 of the previous final he made. Ryan as usual is an awesome tutor and George is a bit of a dick lecturer.
Assessment Breakdown:30% midsem, 30% assignment, 40% final

Unit Code: AFIN352
Difficulty: Difficult
Lecturer: Egon/Keith
Tutor: Mai Ngyuen
Workload: Heavy
Comments: Hard ass unit, avoid it. The content is actually alright but the way it is taught reeks of disorganisation. If is could sum up the unit in one word it would be disorganised. Even the bloody ilearn page for it was confusing, where was the hw (loads of hw which no one really did), lecture slides put up on the morning of the lecture. Just a nightmare unit. Midsem was fairly decent but the group task was very difficult. It required you to have extensive knowledge of Excel which only a few people knew. The final was alright mainly due to the fact we were alowed a cheat sheet otherwise thered be alot of fails.
Assessment Breakdown: 20% Midsem, 20% Group Task, 60% Final

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG200
Difficulty: Easy
Lecturer: Sophia Su
Tutor: Ranjith
Year and Semester Taken: 2015 S3
Workload: Medium
Comments: Pretty easy unit, especially for a 200 level subject, would definitely recommend doing it. Easy to get high internal marks going into the final due to 25% being participation and tutorial homework. 5% excel assignment which is straight from the lecture notes, another easy 5%. I would recommend not doing it in summer school as their is a tutorial Monday Wednesday and Friday where you have to bring in your homework for each tute, so be prepared to lose your holidays. Saying that, each lecture is around 1hr and 10mins (scheduled for 1 hour and 30mins) and the content is very basic so its not hard to get through the course. Final exam is similar to the past paper and isn't easy but isn't hard.
Assessment Breakdown: 10% particpation 20% assignment 10% class test 60% Final

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG200
Difficulty: Easy/Medium
Medium/Hard if you are a non-accounting major (BBA)
Lecturer: Sophia Su
Year and Semester Taken: 2016 S1
Assessments:
Class Participation (10%)
Speak up in class each lesson/answer questions (tutor), and ask questions to solidify your understanding will enable you to make the most of this opportunity as well as gain the greatest participation points.
Homework(10%)
Considered the "easy" marks. Elaborate and write paragraph(s) for the short answer questions, as if you make small mistakes in the actual homework you may receive a higher grade.
Excel (5%)
Compulsory class in the midsemester break, go along to it as it pretty much goes through what you will be required to do in the assignment.
In Class Test(15%)
Multiple Choice; practice doing multiple choice quickly as you barely get time to scratch your nose.
Final Exam(60%)
Must pass final to pass course.Don't expect to finish the exam, the unit convenor will mention that.
Similar difficulty to the practice paper that you will receive.
Comments:
I felt that this subject was less rote learning, and more conceptual based. BBA students should focus on learning T-Accounts as this is an area that many students struggle, especially as ACCG105 doesn't focus on T-Accounts. The subject has also got a easier over the years, and if you are struggling it is well worth attending PAL for further consolidation.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACCG250
Lecturer: Mauricio Marrone
Assessments:
Assessed Coursework (35% )
- 10% online quizzes based on Xero(Three OQ)
- 25% in class assessment.
=> It is open book so I recommend that you buy the textbook and have access to the internet.
=>Over explain everything for example when identifying a risk explain why it is a risk.
=> Go to PAL, have lecture slides available and it may be beneficial to read the chapter before class.
Report (15%)
Get a good group otherwise you are in a whole lot of bother.
Presentation - Video(10%)
Individually marked (practice speaking to the camera, and a lot of marks are given to "Visual Elements".)
You will have to complete the task in the same group
Final Exam (40%)
Most of the multiple choice were from the textbook so I recommend that you go through your textbook multiple choice (at the back of each chapter).
Take it nice and slowly, you have more then enough time!
Comments:
The lecturer is fantastic and makes it enjoyable to attend. PAL is also available for this subject, and can help you gain the technique needed to receive full marks in the assessments. I recommend this subject if you are good at conceptual subjects, have decent comprehension skills and have the rare ability of common sense. However people who struggle with English and found that they were really good at early accounting units may not find this an enjoyable experience.This is probably the "easiest" accounting level at 200+ level, and well worth undertaking. My tutor was really good and explained the concept well to.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code:MKTG216
Difficulty: Medium
Lecturer: Fei Guo
Workload: Medium/ A Lot
Assessments:
Get your marks here, although it is time consuming!
Assignment 1: 15%
Calculations/Short Answer/Essay(Critical Review of Literature)
Assignment 2: 20%
Calculations/Short Answer/Essay.
Group Project: 25%
Report (15%) 5000-6000 words including tables etc.I’d recommend you to aim to finish it within the break(or at least start it). You are required to make tables, population pyramids with excel, and a whole lot of graphs! In order to do well within the report. Look at the website Profile Id for more information/analysis of the two local LGAs.
Presentation(10%)
Final Exam (40%)
You get a single sided (Typed/handwritten) crib sheet to take into the exam.
I failed to finish the exam but apparently that isn’t normally the case and you should have enough time. Just don’t idle and move quickly? Practice calculation questions. Try and summarise a lot of different journal articles throughout the semester, and write(remember) statistics to provide evidence/discussion points.
Comments:
The assignments are extremely time consuming, however with effort you should be able to be rewarded with good/decent marks. Also I would recommend you do the readings(I did not) and summarise as it would make things a lot easier for exam preparation/assignments. I had no idea of what I was doing half the time, and I think the effort required for assignments were not worth the weightings. I’d steer clear of this subject, but a diligent student should be able to get a distinction/high distinction with effort. As well as a credit probably being attainable for most people.

Textbooks are available legally for free!
Don't think attending lectures is worth it. Better of doing self study.

Last edited:

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACST201
Difficulty: Medium-hard
Lecturer: Sachi Purchal
Year and Semester Taken: 2016 semester 1
Workload: light
Assessment breakdown:
40% online submissions, 60% final exam

Comments:
The final is quite hard, not just because of the questions but by how time constrained you'll find yourself in. Lots of annoying submissions worth 1% to 7% during the course, that can become incredibly tedious on top of marking 3 other people's submissions each time. However they can be considered easy marks if you have the time and patience. Overall I would not recommend this course.

hovamagna

HSC
N/A
Unit Code: BUSL301
Lecturer: Zaman
Tutor: Julian Dight
Comments: Decent subject, should get an easy Cr at least. Participation is extremely dodgy though, my mate contributed a lot every week and only got 14/20 that too after complaining whilst my other mate in the same class also got 14 and he hardly contributed at all. Other than that the final is fairly straightforward and the online quiz is based on luck as its mc but its not too hard.
Assessment Breakdown: 20% Participation, 20% Online Quiz, 60% Final
For some reason you don't have to do this course anymore if you're doing the professional accounting course. Looks like they removed this unit which I find weird..

http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-commerce---professional-accounting

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
IMO it's probably a mistake.

Unless CAANZ have changed their entry requirements also.

You could easily take it as an elective anyway.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: Econ131
Difficulty: Extremely easy
Workload: Very light
Comments: Probably the easiest subject at Macquarie as long as you dont hate maths. Very helpful for any business faculty degree, particularly economics.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: BUS201 (No the subject isn't about appreciating the BUS201 route)
Lecturer: Murray
Year and Semester Taken: 2016
Workload: light/medium
Pass/Credit: Light
Distinction/High Distinction: Moderate/High (Depends on the person)
Assessment breakdown:

Assessed coursework(30%) In Tutorials
Assessed coursework is made up of 3 weeks of tutorial work of which the best 2 weeks is assessed (each worth 15%).
Open book but not open internet, textbook would probably be useful here. Bring in notes. Give a lot of examples, and try to include theories and name drop authors of articles.One Case Study, one essay and one lot of short answers were assessments when I did the course.

Group report(30%)
- 15% individual
You will be marked down if you don't try and do more then 1/5th of the report. Forget about everyone else, if you want to maximise your marks unfortunately will need to do more then your fair share of the work. Having five people do a group report with the new marking scheme in place isn't very effective nor fair.

Final Examination(40%)

Do the given readings. Have a look at past exams and practice writing essays. I would also advise you to do extra readings that relate to topic to strengthen your essays.You get a single sided A4 sheet that you can write anything on to bring into the exam.

Comments:
Go to the lecturers that aren't recorded. You may get rewarded with tips of what areas to study for the final.I'd recommend this to people who are interested in high school type economics (doesn't have any graphs really) and who are good at essays etc. It is worth attending lectures in my opinion, but it isn't essential to succeed in this unit.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: AFIN253
Lecturer: Damian
Difficulty: Easy/Medium
Workload: Low/Medium
Assessment breakdown:
Quizzes 15%
5 Quizzes worth 1% each
Week 4 Diagnostic quiz

Class Test (15%) In Lectures

If you do revision + attend hard it isn't that difficult.However you are quite time pressured and it is easy to make silly mistakes. Would recommend that you write the full name of the formula on your Single sided A4 cheat sheet.No formula sheet is given.Hardest part was doing it on the dodgy lecture desks.

Peerwise Creation tool (Free marks! 5%)
You will required to create 5 multiple choice questions and answer 20 questions created by other students.

Assignment: 10%
Don't forget to reference the reports that you are given. If you make reasonable assumptions in your calculations, and include peer reviewed journal articles to back up your claims then it is probable you will be rewarded with great marks.

Final examinations 60%
Would recommend that you write the full name of the formula on your Single sided A4 cheat sheet. If Damian says something may be helpful write it down on your cheat sheet.

Comments:

Attend lectures for hints plus it is actually quite interesting attending them ;) No ilecture available so all though the lecture was "recorded" not everything was. Check announcements regularly! PAL is available. If you are struggling then go to it. Even if you aren't struggling can be good to double check your knowledge.

I enjoyed it. If you found ACST101 easy then this should also be fairly easy.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ECON309
Lecturer: Jordi
Difficulty: Hard
Workload: High
Assessment breakdown:
Midsem 20%
Assignment 20%
Final 60%

Comments:
One of the hardest topics I've done at uni. Lectures are 3 hours and jam pack them with lots of material. Mid Sem was difficult and avrge mark was just under 50%. Assignment is marked very leniently (probably to make up for the midsem). Final is very hard as you have to memorise a lot for the exam.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: AFIN353
Lecturer: Narelle
Difficulty: medium
Workload: High
Assessment breakdown:
Midsem 20%
Assignment 20%
Final 60%

Comments:
Midsem is easy, you can take a cheat sheet and as long as you understand the material no questions will surprise you. Assignment was a a bit tougher. Final wasn't difficult. What made it hard was some weeks the homework took a long time to complete as the concepts were hard or there were just a lot of questions.

thor1990

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Unit Code: AFAS200
Lecturer: Nidal
Difficulty: easy
Workload: incredibly low
Assessment breakdown:
Midsem 20%
Assignment 20%
Homework and marking others 20%
Final 40%

Comments:
The least amount of content out of any subject ive done. 10 lectures each one is max 45 mins with most around 25-30mins. Very easy content as well. Midsem and final are both multiple choice and online. Easy to get full marks. Average for midsem was 90%. Homework submissions and marking again free marks. The negatives are the assignment is 3500 words and requires a bit of time and research. It is also marked very harshly to bring down the marks I suspect. Final grade also seemed to be scaled down presumably for similar reasons. Overall great subject done externally with minimal work. My top recommendation for a people unit.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad

BenHowe

HSC
Uni Grad
Any reviews for STAT171,ACST152,MATH132?

HSC
N/A
Math 132 is like Math 135 but more emphasis on proofs behind concepts, such as the definition of a limit and the fundamental theorem of calculus etc. If you did well and understood your Extension 2 Math, you'll expand on that and probably enjoy it a lot. My experience with the Math dept of MQ is that it runs very smoothly, unlike my experience for other departments. :)

Last edited:

Bui Xuan Truong

HSC
Any reviews for MKTG127 please :'( How harshly are the assignments and final marked? I'm kinda worried about the essays.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Unit Code: ACST101
Lecturer: Brian
Good if you'd rather do practice questions then go through boring theory.
Shows you the answer for the online quizzes so you can double check your learning. If you pick up mathematical? concepts well, then go to his. If you don't Naralle's lectures are probably better to attend.
Difficulty: Medium
Workload: Low
Year and Semester Taken: 2016 semester 1

Assessment breakdown:
Quizzes 20%
10 Quizzes worth 2% each
At the time I did it, the quizzes and homework were really easy. This however was not to be the case in the in lecture tests.

Class Test (30%) In Lectures
Two class tests.
No "cheat" sheets but they give you a formula sheet if I remember correctly. The questions were like nothing like what we saw in class. However this isn't typically the case, from the sounds of it some of my other friends did it in other semesters and the tests explored questions that were similarly in difficulty to what they'd been tested on.

Final examinations 50%
No formula sheet but get to take in one page of double sided A4 sheet.The exam was relatively straight forward, and was a lot less complex then the in class test.

Comments:
Given my performance in the class tests, which were okay would've meant that I must've seriously aced the end of year exam. This may be the case, but I don't think I did as great as what I would have to achieved to get my mark.This suggests that the unit become aware that the class tests were unnecessarily difficult(well not similar to what we've seen before) so adjusted marks this semester for scaling purposes.
PAL is also available and I suggest that it may be worth attending. Harder then AFIN253 when I did it.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Unit Code: ACST101
Difficulty: Easy if you've done >=2Unit Maths, Moderate if you've done General, Moderately Difficult if no maths at all
Lecturer: Narelle Gordon
Tutor: Henry Ma (There was also a Vietnamese female tutor that I had for two weeks. They were basically the same and follow the format of Revise Lecture Content -> Discuss Questions). He often finished early since we went through the questions and our class was unenthusiastic about asking questions.
Year and Semester Taken: 2017 S1
Comments: Only really hard if you've never worked with a shit ton of formula before. The content can take a few days to understand but overall very easy for anyone who's good at mathematics. Quizzes have a 1 Hr + time frame and both assessments allowed open book or a formula sheet to work with. I coped with doing 7 weeks of content just looking at the textbook. Get into the habit of having a separate document (or sheet) to record every formula you see pop up, unless it wasn't covered in the lecture notes. If you are looking at the textbook you might also encounter unfamiliar formulas. Read it side by side with the lecture notes and see if they match up, some formulas will not be needed (from the textbook). If you attend PAL classes they also provide harder questions than usual. Recommend to not go to Brian Chu's lecture because he's not a methodical teacher. If you like the real life aspect of Finance and common discussion of real life scenarios, go to his. Otherwise I found Narelle's the best.

Some concepts can get a bit tricky. So use the practice quizzes to your advantage for easy access to questions. Often they provide answers and method, and are very similar to questions that are in the assessed quizzes. Even some practice questions were just questions in the assessed with switched values, so you can just repeat the method with different values.
Assessment Breakdown: 2% each for 10 quizzes (20%), One Excel Assignment + Quiz (7%), In-class Test (15%), Final Exam (55%)

Unit Code: BBA102
Lecturer: Alison Barnes
Tutor: Lawrence Potter
Year and Semester Taken: 2017 S1
Workload: Low
Comments: Little to no homework, but two report/essay assignments. Also in-class tests that weren't even assessed. I found the subject tough due to the marking aspect of it (harsh). It seemed to be common consensus that classes had only C or F averages, so it really depends on your tutor. I recommend finding a tutor that is lax in your first few weeks and stick to them. I'm not sure if it was the tutor or the subject itself. Can't say much since I only got a C. I think this subject is risky since there are two assignments worth 25% and 35% respectively, so you don't get a lot of chances. Questions also were confusing since they use past lecture notes and often include content not in Textbooks NOR Slides. I felt like it was a poorly run subject. The FE was extremely easy if you were good at rote memorisation.
Assessment Breakdown: Report (25%), Essay (35%), FE (40%)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)