Business Studies (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hi all,

If anyone does Business Studies, could you please say what you think of it as a subject? Is it easy/hard/boring/interesting/practical/useless???
Obviously I'm thinking a bit ahead, but I might do it for Year 11 and 12... I do Commerce at the moment, and althought it's a bit dry at times, I enjoy it. So is Business Studies good? Also, how does it compare to Legal Studies and Economics? Which would be the most interesting and/or practical of the three?

James

ShibbyBonBon

HSC
Hi,
I take both Business Studies and Economics.
I personally like business studies - with the assistance from taking Commerce in year 9 and 10. It is a lot of work to cover with a new set of vocabulary to learn. I find writing the Business Reports and Business Plans demanding mainly because my teacher says one thing and then changes his mind during marking. The Business Research Task in year 11 is demanding but fun.

Year 11 Economics is quite dull. You really need to be interested and focused to stay on track. A fun teacher would be necessary to break up the work load. The assessments were sometimes difficult to comprehend with the whole economic concepts of monetary policy etc.

I would take Business studies if you were interested in the whole subject. The work is not that demanding, though learning and memorising the definitions of the worlds is vital. Having good writing skills for the reports and comprehensive use of business terms is essential.

Economics is a lot different to what i thought it was going to be. The questions are often difficultly worded, the essay questions seem intimidating though are simple once you brake it down into sections. I suppose you need to make the work fun - make up rhymes to remeber the concepts.

You do not need these subjects for anything - but i have heard Economics does give you a head start in University if you do an Economics degree.

lolrofllol

HSC
I find business boring - however it is a subject where you can get really decent marks without much ambiguity in what is involved, so if you can bear it and study now and then it shouldn't be hard to get 90+ in it, i'm not saying it's easy though.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I did business and economics.

Business is 'easy' in the sense nothing is complicated, anyone can do well with a well set study plan; however it is all interesting and most of it is relevant.
It was my favourite subject as i am really interested in business frameworks and alike.

Economics is more 'difficult' is the sense some of the theories are hard to comprehend. Most of economics is more relevant the business studies, however it can be boring and its really stuff you don't need to know, but is cool to understand, its generally more challanging.

I liked business more, but doing economics actually helped make business seem easier as it puts business's in a market perspective, ect.

Shnurs

HSC
I'm currently doing HSC Legal Studies, Business Studies and Economics and I enjoy them all.

Although with economics you have to be quite keen and probably come in to the course with a decent understanding or a real eagerness to learn.

Business studies is an absolute breeze and anyone can do it, as opposed to economics where you feel like you know that much more about the world than everyone else.

Legal Studies is my favourite subject, but if you don't have much interest in the law apart from the odd interesting case....forget it!

Anywho, good luck.

chomp

HSC
well i enjoyed business studies... i came first but i didnt in year 11 and i still loved it... its one of those subjects where you really just have to memorise the content and syllabus as the q's are just testing what infor you know fromt he syllabus

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
first post was lying. economics is fun and easy. legal studies is amazingly easy. business is probably the same. do humanities. you won't regret it

thommy

HSC
N/A
It's easy if you can be bothered, but IMO, it's only good in parts. Global business and Marketing were interesting, but Financial Planning, Management/Change and ER were terribly boring.

ttong

HSC
it sometimes gets pretty boring and other times pretty interesting so yeh

wendybird

HSC
thommy said:
It's easy if you can be bothered, but IMO, it's only good in parts. Global business and Marketing were interesting, but Financial Planning, Management/Change and ER were terribly boring.
bizarrely, this year's HSC paper, Global barely had a presense and the test content was skewed towards Management and Change and ER (ridic).

Business can be interesting, it can also be dry. Financial Planning and Management for example is boring until you start calculating ratios, if you find a use/relevance for the information then it becomes more interesting.

Employment Relations though...there's no way around the utter Boringness of this topic (sorry). This section isn't hard, but the memorising of legislation is insanely dry. In addition with the recent Rudd changes; ie. Forward with Fairness and the changing of Industrial Relations laws...expect this topic to be quite unstable (ie. you won't be entirely sure of what you need to know).

overview of the other topics:

Financial Management and Change is one of the easiest topics (most schools also do it first), and alot of it relates to the preliminary course. Learning Management Roles, Theories, Causes of Change etc...all very logical and quite relevant to everyday life.

Marketing is i would say, the easiest topic. It repeats the prelim Marketing to a large extent, but of course in more detail. Marketing is pretty interesting and one that is also really applicable to everyday life.

Global Business is supposed to be one of the hardest(er) topics, and i suppose it crosses over with economics abit. This topic, the BOS is planning to rejig or scrap (so i've heard) as it comprises of all the other topics (ie. ER, Finance, Management) but puts it in a global context.

Overall, do Business if you think you are going to be interested in the content as you will have to learn quite thoroughly all of it, keep in mind this subject does require alot of writing (ie. business reports).

If we're going to do the Eco vs. Business debate, i personally find Economics more interesting as it covers theory that is harder/more complex. To some people that is a turn off, i think that makes it more compelling to study.

Business isn't hard, the content is fairly simple, though there is a fair bit of reading and keeping up with current data.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)