Buying Textbooks (Firstyears) (1 Viewer)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
I hear that many students don't buy textbooks (borrow/bum off friends)

If so, does having textbooks really make a difference? (i'm doing intl studies/law), and what would be a reaosnable budget to spend on texbooks?

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
mabbe go to uni for a few weeks, decide if you can get by on the slides alone or not, then buy them.

-Anfernee-

HSC
You should probably buy them, look for second hand copies if you're on a budget.

Check out textbookexchange.com.au

They seem to have most books that are currently in circulation.

Putting it into perspective, it's really just chump change in the long run. I guess it may seem like a huge leap from relatively cheap HSC textbooks but I think it's a decent investment.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Mmm, do any of you have textbooks that are in elctronic form, like pdfs?

Kalashnikov47

HSC
simonloo said:
Mmm, do any of you have textbooks that are in elctronic form, like pdfs?
I would rather spend 5 hundred bucks on text than stare at computer screen for 5 hours a day...

kristydolphins

live.love.race
HSC
-Anfernee- said:
You should probably buy them, look for second hand copies if you're on a budget.

Putting it into perspective, it's really just chump change in the long run. I guess it may seem like a huge leap from relatively cheap HSC textbooks but I think it's a decent investment.
im startin uni this year and im jus wonderin where i can find out what textbooks i will need, preferably before lectures start

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
textbooks are more likely to be used for reference purposes only. You flick them open like a dictionary to look something up then you leave it to gather dust.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
kristydolphins said:
im startin uni this year and im jus wonderin where i can find out what textbooks i will need, preferably before lectures start
you will normally receive a booklist from the bookshop or the schools that you attend, otherwise it will be found in your course info booklets.

-Anfernee-

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
textbooks are more likely to be used for reference purposes only. You flick them open like a dictionary to look something up then you leave it to gather dust.

I don't know about that. It depends on the course, some Finance courses I've done, the exams and assignments were based on the textbooks, so if you didn't have a copy, I can only imagine that it would have been pretty difficult to pass.

Last edited:

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
yea books i use in computing, no matter how much the lecturer rants on about how useful they will be, never really got opened. Stories might be a lot different in other programs.

-Anfernee-

HSC
kristydolphins said:
If you have already enrolled/know which courses you're doing, email or phone the course coordinator/lecturer and ask them.

Or do as darkwoof said - contact your uni bookstore.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
-Anfernee- said:

I second this, it's a brilliant website and saves you a lot. I could not live without my textbooks in my degree, if you want to do well then don't go off lecture notes alone lol.

spence

HSC

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
spence said:
Also, as a side note, definately join the co-op. It's only $10 (or maybe 20) for life membership, and you get a good discount.
$20. still a good deal though. the discount is 10% on books so it pays for itself once you've bought $200 worth of books, which doesn't take long, particularly if you're a commerce or science student. (i just borrow my mate's card though, so i didn't have to pay anything)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
unsw doesnt use coop

UNSW Bookshop

go to textbook list and type in your course codes to find the textbooks you need. but generally as others have stated on this forum, wait after the first week to see which ones you really do need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)