By text or by concepts (1 Viewer)

dereck

-*-D_jojo-*-
HSC
Im really confused here. What do u ppl think is the best to structure the essay for this module? going through each by text, or by themes .....im doing Frontline btw.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i do by concepts all the time .. easier to structure in my opinion. and it seems to be in a more linear order rather than by texts.

HSC
N/A
regardless of what you're writing an essay on (Frontline, King lear, ancient history, sociology...) concepts is the better way to go if you want a strong argument.

Going by texts is probably easier (and those who tell you to go into the exam room with a 100% preprepared essay will advocate this because it is easier to memorise) but it's harder to create a solid argument if you're merely remembered words rather than ideas (which you tend to have a stronger grasp on/more mental leeway anyway).

hula girl

HSC
CONCEPTS!!!
i wish our teacher had told us Before the trials

we'd only done a week of frontline before the trials, and they jsut told us to get right into frontline in the essay
when we got our (terrible, shocking, shitty, tragic) marks back, she got pissed becoz we all talked about frontline and not concepts...
grrrrrr

Blue View

HSC
What concepts are you guys using?? I've got some but they're pretty piss weak so I think I might have to restructure!!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
just go by argument topics :)

Best way to do this is really just to look at the essay question, and jot down your first responses - for example: (this is my typical line of thinking)

"Explore the values raised in The Shipping News"

1) For starters, the author is like this fully hardcore Greenpeace activist, therefore the book stands as a literary "STOP KILLING NORTH ATLANTIC SALMON!" tribute
2) author's belief that local communities should be preserved more, because they're the only ones that properly appreciate salmon in their natural habitat (ie alive rather than dead), hence plotline

etc etc :)

starting easy then finding techniques to back it is much better than trying to dive straight into "the use of ___ is evident through the author's employment of rahrahrah..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)