BYOD (1 Viewer)

Futureunswmedstudent

HSC
Pen and paper
So lucky..
I prefer using pen and paper but my school requires byod :(
Using a laptop is really distracting. I spent the whole of year 9 last year playing games in class
hopefully this will change for this year or i'm gonna be screwed for hsc

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
So lucky..
I prefer using pen and paper but my school requires byod :(
Using a laptop is really distracting. I spent the whole of year 9 last year playing games in class
hopefully this will change for this year or i'm gonna be screwed for hsc
Hahah self disciple and self control !

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Surface Pro 3 sounds like overkill lol.\

My BYOD during high school was a nice chunky Dell Inspiron 8600 with a nice big screen and music playback keys on the side. In uni it was a Dell Mini 7 with 3G (yes I'm from the netbook era) and then when the 11" Macbook Air came out I got one of those and loved it (and had a Vodafone pocket wifi).

Now I'm a bit older and working so my BYOD is my iPad Air 2 with 4G. Works great as I can run apps designed for iPad which work great, I have a Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech Keys to Go when I'm out, and K480 in the office) and I can always remote desktop my PC if I need to. I used to carry a stylus everywhere (Kuel H10 and Kuel H12) but found that unless I was drawing a diagram, I realised it's far easier to just type and not have to turn scribbles into Word docs.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For the guys who use Surface Pro's in a learning/work environment (i.e. not gaming), what do you actually use it for which could not have been achieved on other devices which might've been lighter/more portable/etc?

CaptainPrice

HSC
I remember getting laptops in yrs 9/10, it was great at first (omg free laptops), but everyone went back to the normal book/pen routine.

The most we used them were for when researching or doing actual computer work in class -powerpoints, word docs etc.

And Surface pros? Man, times have changed!

However, I did go to a school ranked in the 400-500s, the most expensive thing I brought to school was an iPod Touch 2nd gen, and even then I was wary of everyone

Hence my situation was probably different

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Nothing essentially, most of the educational uses of the surface are found on all Windows tablets/computers :) However, I've found the touch screen to be a great asset
In what way has it helped having a touch screen? As a recent user of Windows 8.1 with a touch screen tablet, I don't find it particularly useful as most of the applications (Office included) just weren't designed for a touch screen interface making them clumsy to use.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with that- that's why I like typing things as it means it's indexed and backed up to the server. No risk of me losing things! Or at the very least I digitize anything handwritten as soon as possible.

trapizi

╰(゜Д゜)╯
HSC
My school allows students to bring any computer and gaming devices including PSP and 3DS. I remembered a kid brought his mechanical keyboard to school just to play a game.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I remember when my economics teacher had a fit at me for using a laptop when I injured my writing hand. Govt gave us laptops to use in school, I usually do pen paper always unless a situation like this, but at uni always pen + paper.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I remember when my economics teacher had a fit at me for using a laptop when I injured my writing hand. Govt gave us laptops to use in school, I usually do pen paper always unless a situation like this, but at uni always pen + paper.
Hahahahahahahah, dat injured hand doe

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Computers are helpful for people who have issues with handwriting :) it's a lot easier to make notes as well because everything's in one place, especially if you tend to lose things like me hehh
You kinda avoided his question at the time
- I have to agree the touch is usually not that useful and only looks good on the surface(ha ha) - Main selling point would be for the games tbh, typing and formatting is just much faster with a keyboard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)