CA Achievers program (1 Viewer)

akkountant

HSC
N/A
Has anyone applied to this before? I'm applying this year and would like to know where I stand in at least getting an interview. If those who were both successful or not successful in previous years could tell me what their average marks were at the time and which firm they got, it would give me a basic idea. Thanks!:)

turtleface

HSC
There is someone at your uni you can ask who should be able to answer everything I have PMed their contact details

srkrox

HSC
how much importance is placed on work experience in the selection process? ive had the odd job here and there for a month or two at a time, but im not currently working.

will this be held against me?...is it a significant disadvantage?

also, do they mainly look at marks or is it mostly work experience and extra curricular activities?

srkrox

HSC
ps. if someone who has done the program could tell me about what sorts of things they had on their application form it would be much appreciated :)

thanks.

Chazz1840

HSC
N/A
Hey, my sister did this last year, and she said it was the best thing she's done. She had average marks, but she had some work experience and extracurricular stuff, so i think they don't look at just one thing, but everything combined. she didn't think she'd even get an interview, but she ended up getting a position with one of the big 4. so you should definitely apply and just give it a shot

browniedx

HSC
Applications in Vic and some other states closed on Monday...does anyone from previous years know how long they take to get back to you after applications are shut? And I assume they will contact everyone either way...

Chazz1840

HSC
N/A
yeah, i think they will contact you whether you got thru or not. i hope i get thru, but i'm not looking forward to group interviews

O2

HSC
hey guys,, yes i did this program last year,
It started aroudn the same time last year, and i was first called for an interview maybe about 2 weeks later after i submitd, which was the day before the closing date.
I didnt think i'd get it too, but yes, they called up and arranged for a group interview.
I suceeded in the group interview, and called again for final interview with a panel of 2 HR staff from two different CA firms.. They were suppportive!

The whole process took about 1 month until i found out that i got the position, and after that,, i was notified which company i would work in.
the company that i got was a mid tier, ranked around 15-16 in the BRW top 100 accounting firms..

I worked with that firm during end of november to mid december, for three weeks. There program was designed for me to have 1 week in bus services, 1 week in bus recovery (insolvency) and another week in audit...

its great experience, and it looks DAMN good in your resume..

As long as you were creative in answering the questions in the app form, and had something different to offer in the interviews (something the staff could remember you by) then you'll be just fine..

o btw, they pay too, people whom i spoke to, there pay was approximately in the range of 15-20 per hr...not badd for someone who offers no REAL contribution.

I'm writing all this just because i needed this sort of information last year, and it was difficult in finding.

write back how it goes,, any other questions i'm happy to help..

browniedx

HSC
got an email today telling my im through to the next round and have to attend a group activity session in a week and a half (im in melbourne btw)...

O2 or anyone else whose done it, what does this involve? I've had my job for 4 years and have never done a group interview in my life so don't really know what to expect...
Also it didn't specify in the email what to wear...I would assume a suit but not sure if I should wear a tie?

cheers

akkountant

HSC
N/A
I got in too. Maybe we'll end up in the same group session brownie haha

O2

HSC
Congrads,,

Well as far as what to wear, wear professional attire...
Everyone wears suits with ties.. but it loks kind of silly because you want to stand out. I didnt wear a suit, i just wore a subtle pink shirt, with a tie and suit pants...

Last year in the group interview, we were required to organise a "party" for all the successful app's because at the end of the CA acheiver positions filled, they hold like a special presentation event..

Basically they tell u have u organsie this,, and as a group, u have to work to come up with time etccc...

this is a big hint,, last year i got through this round mainly becasue in the group, for about 5 mins or longer, the group was jsut brainstorming ideas that really didnt go anywhere... what i did was i said that we should decide on something quickly becasue theres no point in brainstorming and not implementing..that made me stand out in my opinion..

i wouldnt worry abou tthis becasue its not something u can prepare for, as the activity required will change every year obviously...

what uni do u guys go to??

dram

i do things
HSC
anyone from Sydney had a response yet?

koecko

HSC
hmmm well when someone from sydney hears anything let us kno. hopefully its not 2 much longer now. nearly 2 weeks since applications closed.

dram

i do things
HSC
well i guess its good news for us that no one's heard yet :)

akkountant

HSC
N/A
Well I had the group session on Monday and I just found out today I'm through to next round surprisingly :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)