CA Program - Ask questions, get answers! (new and improved) (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you've misunderstood where the CA fits in.

You go to uni FIRST and do a relevant university degree majoring in accounting (and do a few other subjects as required by the ICAA). THEN once you've started working, you will be eligible to enrol in the CA Progam (which is run by the Institute of Chartered Accountants).

Whether you do business subjects or not at HSC level does not make a difference.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think you've misunderstood where the CA fits in.

You go to uni FIRST and do a relevant university degree majoring in accounting (and do a few other subjects as required by the ICAA). THEN once you've started working, you will be eligible to enrol in the CA Progam (which is run by the Institute of Chartered Accountants).

Whether you do business subjects or not at HSC level does not make a difference.
oh right, can I do a double degree (engineering + degree you are talking about)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
oh right, can I do a double degree (engineering + degree you are talking about)
As long as you meet the prerequisite subjects as required- you'll need to go onto the ICAA website and look for the approved tertiary courses list.

On another note though, given you clearly are focussed on science, and you want to do an engo degree, why the interest in CA?

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
As long as you meet the prerequisite subjects as required- you'll need to go onto the ICAA website and look for the approved tertiary courses list.

On another note though, given you clearly are focussed on science, and you want to do an engo degree, why the interest in CA?
um I like business.
also, a bit off topic but anyways, is it gonna help me if I do eng and business (combined degree) ?
or should I just do eng?

thans

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
um I like business.
also, a bit off topic but anyways, is it gonna help me if I do eng and business (combined degree) ?
or should I just do eng?

thans
I think you should do a lot more research then because "um I like business" isn't really a good incentive to embark upon an extra 4-5 years of study PLUS work experience in a role which you may not actually want to do.

If you do straight eng, you probably won't be eligible to enrol in CA without doing additional studies or bridging courses. That being said if you're good at eng, you may find yourself in a finance-related position in a bank seeing that they draw on some similar skillsets/abilities (outside the scope of this thread though).

M

MichelleV

Hey seremify- do you know of a guy who came first in some ca subject, works at pwc , umm, I think they said in audit? It's just he was at toms funeral yesterday and all these people from my old work recognised him and were acting like he was super famous. Hehe, it was highly amusing, shame I can't remember his name.

Jinks

HSC
I may be completely off track but I think I read somewhere that in order to complete your CA you need 3 years of relevant work experience, if this is true can anyone confirm/deny that 2 years as a cadet/trainee counts towards this 3 years experience?

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Ended up working with someone at my firm to complete it (ie. basically copying, and changing it around)

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Question -> How much do focus session leaders get paid?

immabee

HSC
Uni Grad
Asking graduates and CA candidates out there,

Do you have any advice on tackling consolidation? How did you guys pulled it through and move on to the next level? I think more or less one of the CA technical modules will somewhat include consolidation. This seems to be a major problem among most of the students taking accounting major. It seems difficult to grasp and to digest the materials.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Question -> How much do focus session leaders get paid?
I've always wondered this- don't think it's too substantial and presumably people do it more for the personal satisfaction of contributing to the profession/industry body, etc. I personally intend to become a FSL if they're still offered in the future as it forces you to know your material and keeps you in touch.

Asking graduates and CA candidates out there,

Do you have any advice on tackling consolidation? How did you guys pulled it through and move on to the next level? I think more or less one of the CA technical modules will somewhat include consolidation. This seems to be a major problem among most of the students taking accounting major. It seems difficult to grasp and to digest the materials.
It's covered in FIN (financial reporting) and to be honest, I'm not very good at it. I understand the concepts and can apply it to basic examples. The reality is you just need to understand and appreciate how things interact, so that you understand what the accounting consolidation systems are actually doing. Whilst it's largely automated, the reality in large corporations is it's really really messy still. In terms of what CA asks, it's a bit better than uni because at least you can bring in your notes and journals, but the downside is they will ask you about the various other consolidation methods and types of accounting. You could interpret the question as a consol question and spend ages on it only to realise there was a trick to it such as equity accounting for profits. Either way, the new accounting standard on consolidation with a totally difference concept of power (rather than control) is coming soon.

Jinks

HSC
I may be completely off track but I think I read somewhere that in order to complete your CA you need 3 years of relevant work experience, if this is true can anyone confirm/deny that 2 years as a cadet/trainee counts towards this 3 years experience?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it does count. Can't remember if the server requirement is 3 years but sounds about right. Remember that's to get the CA designation- i.e. you can still complete all the technical modules/subjects and not be permitted to join the Institute due to lack of work experience.

There used to be a work experience requirement prior to commencing studies of the technical modules as well. Best to check ICAA website for membership requirements.

Tim035

HSC
Hi Seremify,

How many pages is the typical CLP pack? and how structured is the content? From the past CA papers, CT solutions and Kaplan papers I've been looking at, it seems like they can ask anything in the tax module from the ITAA's, GST and FBT Acts, which seems ridiculous! Is there at least a bit of a focus/emphasis within the CLP's as to what they will likely test?

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Exam just over a week away, I haven't done anything, I feel bad :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Seremify,

How many pages is the typical CLP pack? and how structured is the content? From the past CA papers, CT solutions and Kaplan papers I've been looking at, it seems like they can ask anything in the tax module from the ITAA's, GST and FBT Acts, which seems ridiculous! Is there at least a bit of a focus/emphasis within the CLP's as to what they will likely test?
LOL that is a very vague question to ask- it really varies by module and can change. Only thing I can say is that tax probably has the best and most comprehensive CLP of the lot given that it covers everything you need to know and you don't need to reference any other books/material (except maybe the ITAA). Doesn't hurt to have a case book as well, but I wouldn't go rushing out to buy the master tax guide, etc. Look at past papers for an indication of what to expect- the challenge in the exam more likely than not is figuring out how to lay out your response. The markers guide/information which comes out with the solutions always seems to make us feel stupid when they say exactly which practice question or focus session question each exam question was similar to!

Exam just over a week away, I haven't done anything, I feel bad :(
Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)