CA Program - Ask questions, get answers! (new and improved) (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I saw your name in the "Admitted as Chartered Accountants" section of Charter magazine recently, seremify, congrats!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I saw your name in the "Admitted as Chartered Accountants" section of Charter magazine recently, seremify, congrats!
**** I hope I didn't throw it out!! Time to go find it. Thanks though!

EDIT: I can't find it :( I found Dec 2011, Mar 2012 and Apr 2012. I think it must've been either Jan or Feb. Can you remember what's ont he cover?

Last edited:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Just enrolled for CA, doing MAA first up.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
good choice. i always tell people do the subjects which you're never going to get better at first (e.g. MAA and TAX if you're in audit), and then do AAA/FIN later on since you'll naturally become better at those with more experience in the industry. EBA is just a piece of cake though.

spearsy

HSC
Uni Grad
Just enrolled in FIN in Adelaide. Any one else doing this as well? Would have liked to have started with TAX but thought it would be better to get started sooner.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Same! Can't believe it starts in a month...

Did anyone go to the ICAA Business Forum this week? I went for a full day session today. Amazing experience. Great seminars, food and people. Definitely recommend it for those who've never gone. Price is also very reasonable.

M

MichelleV

I never knew there was a thread with accountants.

I'm so happy :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Same! Can't believe it starts in a month...

Did anyone go to the ICAA Business Forum this week? I went for a full day session today. Amazing experience. Great seminars, food and people. Definitely recommend it for those who've never gone. Price is also very reasonable.
To be honest I never really felt the need to. Maybe later on in my career when I'm aspiring for FCA status. Also don't really have that much free time :(

M

MichelleV

LOL glad to hear it.
Haha, thank you.

I'm such a wierdo.

Whenever I meet other people who are accountants or doing cadetships or anything, I get excited. :haha:

Its good to find out what things are like from other peoples perspectives.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, thank you.

I'm such a wierdo.

Whenever I meet other people who are accountants or doing cadetships or anything, I get excited. :haha:

Its good to find out what things are like from other peoples perspectives.
LOL don't worry, you're not weird. But admittedly over time it does get less exciting (as do most things in life).

M

MichelleV

LOL don't worry, you're not weird. But admittedly over time it does get less exciting (as do most things in life).
I mist admit, I'm already over work :p

I will never ever get over the APES stuff though. All I can think about is the simpsons.

Its so awkward trying to suppress my laughter every time somebody mentions how we have APES soon :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I mist admit, I'm already over work :p

I will never ever get over the APES stuff though. All I can think about is the simpsons.

Its so awkward trying to suppress my laughter every time somebody mentions how we have APES soon :D
It's sad that even though I finished CA, I can still remember my different APES110 references :( Sigh. Are you doing MAA, AAA or EBA now?

M

MichelleV

It's sad that even though I finished CA, I can still remember my different APES110 references :( Sigh. Are you doing MAA, AAA or EBA now?
None :p
Still a cadet at Uni.

Haha :p

*casually crashes this thread...*

spearsy

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Seremify, from what I can gather, you did your CA while working in Big 4. In in a small practice and was thinking of doing the Masterclass as well. Do you think this would be wise??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Seremify, from what I can gather, you did your CA while working in Big 4. In in a small practice and was thinking of doing the Masterclass as well. Do you think this would be wise??

Correct. I personally found Masterclass worthwhile (and considerably better than Kaplan) when it came to getting summarised/easy to follow lecture slides (felt similar to uni) with relevant readings/appendices and some nice easy to use flowcharts/diagrams/extracts. That being said, it's not that comprehensive compared to what Kaplan used to produce (i.e. the E-notes pack which was thicker than a textbook when printed!). Keep in mind you won't get much help for the assignment/EP and the real benefit of Masterclass is that you are in a classroom environment and can ask questions to the facilitator (who should be more helpful than a normal CA focus session facilitator). It's great being able to go through activities in a classroom environment and get the solutions that way.

Meshy590

HSC
hey, Do you know anything about these cadetship info evenings and do you think they are worth it? Like today, there is the 'Trainee Insight Session' at PWC. I went to the ICAA Cadetship Evening last night, and I was told beforehand that the companies "select their cadets on this night". But I do not see how this works, due to the sheer number of people who were there...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
hey, Do you know anything about these cadetship info evenings and do you think they are worth it? Like today, there is the 'Trainee Insight Session' at PWC. I went to the ICAA Cadetship Evening last night, and I was told beforehand that the companies "select their cadets on this night". But I do not see how this works, due to the sheer number of people who were there...
Never heard that line before- the info sessions are what they are. Given you are signing up for a 4 year program you'd want to at least have some idea of what you're committing to and that you've had a decent amount of information on which to base your decision. I personally found these to be a great way of meeting people from the business, seeing which area really appealed to me and making me feel confident in my choice in which area to apply for. At the very least it's good practice for you to mingle and interact with people outside your comfort zone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)