Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchalolz

HSC
Crofts hasn't got back to me yet lol. I submitted the application in June. Now it's August.
I got a rejection letter in July. Did you get an interview with them? You could be on the waiting list

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Some took ages even if I wasn't directly rejected. Some still haven't gotten back to me and I know ppl who got offers. Generally I found over 1-2 months is rejection
Reenforcing what Trebs said, it wasn't quite a cadetship but i got my offer for co-op ~3 weeks after the initial offers were made due to being on the waiting list.

milkytea99

HSC
I got a rejection letter in July. Did you get an interview with them? You could be on the waiting list
I got nothing back from Crofts. After submitting my application via email. That's it. No interview, no phone call nothing.
Maybe "I'm indirectly rejected"?

milkytea99

HSC
I've called ESV and Bentleys before. And they say that they only start conducting interviews around September. Not sure if true or not. I'm going to wait for another month, and if I don't get any Cadetship offer, then I know which university course I'll be going for. :)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I've called ESV and Bentleys before. And they say that they only start conducting interviews around September. Not sure if true or not. I'm going to wait for another month, and if I don't get any Cadetship offer, then I know which university course I'll be going for. :)
I never heard back from ESV after applying, like not even an email.. It's been nearly a year now :p Soooooooo :p :p :p

milkytea99

HSC
I never heard back from ESV after applying, like not even an email.. It's been nearly a year now :p Soooooooo :p :p :p
Wow lol. What a company haha.
But yeah, I think as time goes by, the road ahead is clearer now.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, just have a question
If I received an offer for company x and sign all their paperwork but then receive another offer for company y, am I allowed to just ditch the first one and go with the second one? Should I be telling company x that I'm waiting on a response from somewhere else or should i just zip it?

Is this a common situation? Please answer if you have had experience with something like this...

Add on question: Is it common for people to move firms in first year uni?
Yeah i was in the same boat ^_^

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
hey, just have a question
If I received an offer for company x and sign all their paperwork but then receive another offer for company y, am I allowed to just ditch the first one and go with the second one? Should I be telling company x that I'm waiting on a response from somewhere else or should i just zip it?

Is this a common situation? Please answer if you have had experience with something like this...

Add on question: Is it common for people to move firms in first year uni?
If you've already committed to a place with company x (signed documentation) then stay with company x. If you cancel out of your agreement and company x gets pissed they may blacklist you. You also need to account that companies talk, so reflecting badly on one firm may have repercussions when applying for others (A certain student pulled this with a certain big 4 bank and was pretty much blacklisted from each of the big 4)

If you haven't signed the documentation, then tell them that you're waiting on another company. They'll usually give you some time and respect your honesty.

milkytea99

HSC
It's been a week. No reply from any firms. Maybe they don't want me lol

matchalolz

HSC
It's been a week. No reply from any firms. Maybe they don't want me lol
Be patient. And even if they don't want you, you're probably not suited for them and can find a x100 better job somewhere else.

If you've already committed to a place with company x (signed documentation) then stay with company x. If you cancel out of your agreement and company x gets pissed they may blacklist you. You also need to account that companies talk, so reflecting badly on one firm may have repercussions when applying for others (A certain student pulled this with a certain big 4 bank and was pretty much blacklisted from each of the big 4)

If you haven't signed the documentation, then tell them that you're waiting on another company. They'll usually give you some time and respect your honesty.
Just saw your post.
I can't really go back and change what I did, I can only learn better for the future. Would they actually be willing to wait? like even 2 months coz that's a really long time and the other firm clearly told me I wasn't going to here a reply soon. I just thought that it's be dumb to let go of an offer to wait on something else that's not even guaranteed, especially since I'm not one of those people who can just get into most things they apply for (my extracurriculars are pretty weak and I'm pretty derpy/not charismatic at all). To be honest, after getting so many rejections from other firms my confidence was pretty much battered and after receiving an offer I couldn't even comprehend the possibility of getting a second interview elsewhere and despite waiting on them deep down I never expected an answer so I just assumed that it was another rejection.

Thanks for your insight though I definitely realise that this is a serious issue and will be very careful in the future. It's not a big 4 one, quite small-ish I know it definitely interacts with one other one. I honestly don't see myself applying for big 4 in the future, from what I've heard I don't like the sound of their working environment. I'm not a very ambitious person and I don't see myself sacrificing everything for cash. I only applied for cadetships because I know that I definitely want to work in accounting or finance and I thought I had nothing to lose (cough spent so much time on applications)

milkytea99

HSC
Be patient. And even if they don't want you, you're probably not suited for them and can find a x100 better job somewhere else.

Just saw your post.
I can't really go back and change what I did, I can only learn better for the future. Would they actually be willing to wait? like even 2 months coz that's a really long time and the other firm clearly told me I wasn't going to here a reply soon. I just thought that it's be dumb to let go of an offer to wait on something else that's not even guaranteed, especially since I'm not one of those people who can just get into most things they apply for (my extracurriculars are pretty weak and I'm pretty derpy/not charismatic at all). To be honest, after getting so many rejections from other firms my confidence was pretty much battered and after receiving an offer I couldn't even comprehend the possibility of getting a second interview elsewhere and despite waiting on them deep down I never expected an answer so I just assumed that it was another rejection.

Thanks for your insight though I definitely realise that this is a serious issue and will be very careful in the future. It's not a big 4 one, quite small-ish I know it definitely interacts with one other one. I honestly don't see myself applying for big 4 in the future, from what I've heard I don't like the sound of their working environment. I'm not a very ambitious person and I don't see myself sacrificing everything for cash. I only applied for cadetships because I know that I definitely want to work in accounting or finance and I thought I had nothing to lose (cough spent so much time on applications)
I think I've underestimated how hard it is to get a Cadetship

matchalolz

HSC
I definitely underestimated it in the early stages of the process but i realised that I wanted the opportunity since my desired degree is single commerce anyways so I just kept applying despite the odds.

Dw too much since you're interested in comm/law anyways. Believe it or not, you'll come across many more opportunities, and your response to them/outcomes whether good or bad, will be the greatest determinant of your success

milkytea99

HSC
I definitely underestimated it in the early stages of the process but i realised that I wanted the opportunity since my desired degree is single commerce anyways so I just kept applying despite the odds.

Dw too much since you're interested in comm/law anyways. Believe it or not, you'll come across many more opportunities, and your response to them/outcomes whether good or bad, will be the greatest determinant of your success
True haha. Guess I'll have to study crazily hard to get 99.70+ for comm/law. But since I go to a low rank school, I am eligible for eas points and stuff like that so all I need is just at least 97+ to get into comm/law at usyd or unsw. [emoji12] I guess one door closes (Cadetship), the other door opens (comm/law). [emoji57]

matchalolz

HSC
True haha. Guess I'll have to study crazily hard to get 99.70+ for comm/law. But since I go to a low rank school, I am eligible for eas points and stuff like that so all I need is just at least 97+ to get into comm/law at usyd or unsw. [emoji12] I guess one door closes (Cadetship), the other door opens (comm/law). [emoji57]
*just a 97* that's so high even if I go to a good school I'm pretty average and smack bam in the middle :lol:
Study hard (it's achievable), good luck for stuff! (exams, and any other applications i guess?)

milkytea99

HSC
*just a 97* that's so high even if I go to a good school I'm pretty average and smack bam in the middle :lol:
Study hard (it's achievable), good luck for stuff! (exams, and any other applications i guess?)
Lol, then maybe 97 is hard for me and I'm too optimistic haha. Cuz you go to a good school and you still doubt yourself, then I can't imagine myself getting it haha

matchalolz

HSC
Lol, then maybe 97 is hard for me and I'm too optimistic haha. Cuz you go to a good school and you still doubt yourself, then I can't imagine myself getting it haha
Nah being optimistic is good man, depends on your ranks I suppose. Are you acing your subjects/getting top ranks at your school? Me personally, I had a lot of really sudden and unexpected things pop up this year, and this affected my ability to study sometimes. It really depends on your personal circumstances/willpower/motivation to succeed (how badly you really want it). Because I don't need a godly atar, I haven't really seen or experienced the need to sacrifice things, e.g. health. Not everyone who goes to a good school gets 99 atar and likewise, not everyone who goes to a non selective school does shit.

Yet again, if you don't get into the course you want you still have options :p life is broad and unpredictable like that, no time to mope around, just keep going and pursuing opportunities (who knows, maybe you'll still want to do a cadetship in first year uni? Or get an internship somewhere)

I should probably stop derailing

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
It didn't help that you guys only had one big4 recruiting this year. But yes, there is a lot of competition for them these days - people definitely should consider how hard it can be to get one.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Also its not the end of the world if you don't get a cadetship before starting uni.

Plenty of jobs are avalivle during first year and subsequent years, and generally the only requirement is your at uni and have good grades. Considering some of you are talking about high 90s atars, you've still got many opportunities ahead.

I mean if you miss out this year, join clubs and volunteer and work on doing well during your first year. You may not get the traditional big 4/mid tier cadetship, but there's a bunch of smaller firms that hire undergraduate that would loveeeee to have you.

Just don't give up. Apply for all possible jobs and if that isn't good enough, work on improving the areas you like skills on over the next year to get a position.

Even if you decide not to go for a cadetship next year, you'll still (hopefully) have great marks, great EC's and be more confident when it comes to internship and graduate programs.

milkytea99

HSC
It didn't help that you guys only had one big4 recruiting this year. But yes, there is a lot of competition for them these days - people definitely should consider how hard it can be to get one.
Yeah. That's why my path is clear now. At the start of the year I was frantically tossing between straight comm+Cadetship or comm/law. And I keep getting mixed responses from everyone around me. Some say that option 1 is better, whilst others say option 2 is better. But at this stage, I think the decision has been made and I know what to put down for uni preferences. :D

I also won't waste my time applying for unsw coop. If I can't even get a Cadetship then what about coop which is more competitive omg.

milkytea99

HSC
Also its not the end of the world if you don't get a cadetship before starting uni.

Plenty of jobs are avalivle during first year and subsequent years, and generally the only requirement is your at uni and have good grades. Considering some of you are talking about high 90s atars, you've still got many opportunities ahead.

I mean if you miss out this year, join clubs and volunteer and work on doing well during your first year. You may not get the traditional big 4/mid tier cadetship, but there's a bunch of smaller firms that hire undergraduate that would loveeeee to have you.

Just don't give up. Apply for all possible jobs and if that isn't good enough, work on improving the areas you like skills on over the next year to get a position.

Even if you decide not to go for a cadetship next year, you'll still (hopefully) have great marks, great EC's and be more confident when it comes to internship and graduate programs.
Yeah. But I think I've decided already haha. If I do get into comm/law, I won't bother applying for Cadetship anymore. I'll finish off the comm/law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)