Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Yeah. That's why my path is clear now. At the start of the year I was frantically tossing between straight comm+Cadetship or comm/law. And I keep getting mixed responses from everyone around me. Some say that option 1 is better, whilst others say option 2 is better. But at this stage, I think the decision has been made and I know what to put down for uni preferences. :D

I also won't waste my time applying for unsw coop. If I can't even get a Cadetship then what about coop which is more competitive omg.
Both give pretty good opportunities, though Comm + Cadetship leans more towards giving an advantage in commerce jobs whilst comm/law allows for diverse options and a chance to get into law/IB (if that's your aim)

Honestly sometimes it just comes down to luck, two basically identical candidates might apply but only one gets the job because the other answered something slightly different, or got the one question he couldn't answer straight away or the interviewer was just in a really bad mood that day etc... all this can be minimised by applying for everything, and sometimes luck can go your way and everything aligns...that's when you get the job (Y)

Basically I'm saying apply for Co-op because you never know, don't let these applications deter you and because Co-op's can be just as great as cadetships (apart from Finance co-op which is beast if you're keen for finance, nothing else like it)

Chronost

HSC
Smaller tiers honestly sometimes just ignore you, won't even send a rejection. They usually don't have proper HR staff so whoever's doing it doesn't put any extra effort to send rejections out compared to HR staff who's job is.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also won't waste my time applying for unsw coop. If I can't even get a Cadetship then what about coop which is more competitive omg.
But they are not always looking for the exact same characteristics/traits in their own selection criteria. I wouldn't feel disheartened on the premise that one is supposedly more competitive than the other.

aeroairz

HSC
First of all, the cadetship threads have been invaluable I learnt a lot about the cadetship application process.

If the employer sent you a copy of the employment contract via email and the original plus a duplicate in the mail. How many need to be signed and sent back?

Also from my understanding a business/commerce degree is 24 subjects? According to the sandwich courses of university study and work I'll complete the cadetship in 4.5 or 5 years.

I have found a site called Spoonfeedme whereby I can learn some first year subjects for UTS and UNSW. I can study at least 3 there after the HSC to learn the content so I can attempt to study 4 subjects in the first semester whilst working full-time. Then subsequently 3 or 4 subjects for semester 2 and then 3 subjects each following semester and I would like to study in the summer session as well.

I am willing to put in the effort if I can graduate in 3 or 3.5 even 4 years so I can commence my CA sooner. I used to have a part-time job and I worked up to 20 hours a week plus involved with ECs.

I would like to maintain at least a credit average if possible.

Moreover over regarding an exclusive employment clause. Is it just a formality or you cannot have another job without written permission eg. Coles, private tutor etc?

Is it possible to work full-time and study full-time/overload?

alleyronin

HSC
N/A
Most likely the contract copy is to be kept by you... unless the covering letter requests otherwise.

Exclusivity should not exclude tutoring or similar private work.

Full time work + full time study? Don't even think about it!

Chronost

HSC
First of all, the cadetship threads have been invaluable I learnt a lot about the cadetship application process.

If the employer sent you a copy of the employment contract via email and the original plus a duplicate in the mail. How many need to be signed and sent back?

Also from my understanding a business/commerce degree is 24 subjects? According to the sandwich courses of university study and work I'll complete the cadetship in 4.5 or 5 years.

I have found a site called Spoonfeedme whereby I can learn some first year subjects for UTS and UNSW. I can study at least 3 there after the HSC to learn the content so I can attempt to study 4 subjects in the first semester whilst working full-time. Then subsequently 3 or 4 subjects for semester 2 and then 3 subjects each following semester and I would like to study in the summer session as well.

I am willing to put in the effort if I can graduate in 3 or 3.5 even 4 years so I can commence my CA sooner. I used to have a part-time job and I worked up to 20 hours a week plus involved with ECs.

Moreover over regarding an exclusive employment clause. Is it just a formality or you cannot have another job without written permission eg. Coles, private tutor etc?

Keep the duplicate and email one, and sign the original and send it off. Only the original.

Depends on the cadetship and what the structure of it is, are you working full-time with part time uni all the way or 2 years on and off etc.. but yes it should be roughly 24 subject, and on an average basis you finsh your course within 4 - 4.5 years

Waste of time trying to learn the content tbh, use your HSC to work and gain money and relax/travel etc.. lots of people always try and prep for uni courses after HSC but your efforts really become fruitless because your either not applying the knowledge, It's different to what is taught as Semester courses change regularly or you forget 2 weeks later.
How will you have time to go to university with 4 subjects at hand especially tutorials and the like? Unless you manage to slot night/evening classes for most of these it will be hard, and it's honestly sometimes a pain to go at night to university.
Summer classes are full-fee so unless you want to pay overpriced course fees I wouldn't try it.
3 subjects is very manageable with full-time work though, especially with first year subjects and planning your timetable properly.

If I were in your shoes I would take it easy and just do 2 subjects for the first sem, you might as well try and enjoy university as well abit instead of pushing your self straight on like that.

Maintain a high credit average for other possibilities definitely (Y)

Private tutor is fine, coles is not.

Yes it's possible but only if your work allows you to have extra hours to go to classes (as many are compulsory, or if you don't, you miss out on a lot) - and to be honest I don't think work will let you do that until you proven to them you're able to manage your time properly and/or passed probation first.

Your thinking too much into this, you should experience work and uni first before you come up with this plan, you need to see how well you react to full-time work and uni and manage accordingly, because it all depends on the person.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Great advice as always, chronost!! Wasn't able to rep :-/

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

To reiterate, the email copy is for you to read in advance and for your own records. The two physical copies in the mail, typically one stamped sign here and the other stamped duplicate, is just so you have a physical copy of what you signed. You only need to return one copy to the firm.

Not all firms offer the 'sandwich' style program so best to check your contract. Typically you should be finishing your 3 year degree in 4 years because one of those years is stretched into two when you do part time/half load. e.g. instead of 8, 8, 8; you'll end up doing 8, 4, 4, 8.

I haven't seen that site but I wouldn't really stress too much about this. Easier to learn by just going to lectures and paying some attention, and doing your readings. Some people did try summer school but it's pretty hard to balance given you're meant to be at work in office hours and hence you might need to use limited annual leave for it... which is really better saved for the actual exams. You might be better off doing the overloading one subject approach (i.e. do 3 instead of 2) which is what most cadets in my era did of (back when we only had half a day of leave per wk!).

Don't understimate the demands of a professional job. You don't get the luxury of a fixed number of working hours in a day! IMO keep yourself flexible by not overcommitting to uni/other things in the early stages and slowly build it up again as you become more familiar with the expectations and routine.

That is very achievable.

It's really meant to stop you from doing two full time jobs simultaneously or doing something which conflict with the firm's interests. If you are really nervous you can ask HR if it's okay for you to continue doing private tuition on the side or whatever you want to do. It's no different to being involved in a local sports club or charity outside of work.

I wouldn't recommend committing to something external like working at Coles though given you wont' know when shifts are and it could impede upon your ability to commit to the firm or your studies.

I'd also mention that at least during your probation stage, you probably don't want to be sticking out too much as someone who is inflexible or unable to commit to the job. It's alot easier for you to drop everything else first and build it up as you become more familiar with your role/etc.

Yes. But you'll need to negotiate with your firm and also make sure you're rewarded for it - e.g. some firms may not pay you the study grants if you are not actually at uni because you brought your subjects forward, and they may not pay for your summer classes or offer you any additional leave.

aeroairz

HSC
Thank you for all the input I'll take it easy and see how I'll adjust.

nununana

HSC
N/A
Hi I'm in year 10 and I was just wondering whether cadetships are only for people who do accounting and finance?

esaitchkay

HSC
Hi I'm in year 10 and I was just wondering whether cadetships are only for people who do accounting and finance?
I am in Year 10 as well. There is a few like the big ones like Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) @UNSW and Bachelor of Accounting (Co-op) @UTS and a couple of others.
@nununana:

tl;dr: Cadetships in Business are mainly Accounting roles.

In terms of Commerce, which I assume by the fact it's posted in this sub, what Asghar has said is correct, in terms of co-op programs:
B.Comm (Co-op) @ UNSW offers many streams, such as Marketing, Business Info Sys, Acct, Fins, Actuarial, etc.
https://www.business.unsw.edu.au/programs-courses/undergraduate/bachelor-commerce-coop

UTS offers the Bachelor of Accounting, and also the Bachelor of Information Technology:

http://www.uts.edu.au/future-studen...ing/bachelor-accounting/scholarship-selection
http://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/courses/c10143

In terms of cadetships, as far my knowledge goes, they're mainly offered within the Accounting industry, and UBS has a Banking program, through Professional Cadetships Australia (whether it's FO/MO/BO will depend, as well).

If you're looking for something outside the above realms, I'd suggest that you look into internships (which is still a fair bit away, but it never hurts to plan).

Furthermore, I hope more people can offer their insights!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
There's also a few real estate,construction and engineering cadetships
What real estate cadetships are available? From what i've seen, all these "cadetships" are glorified entry level real estate agent roles.

In regards to construction and engo, plenty of these available, especially in the current construction boom.

Chronost

HSC
What real estate cadetships are available? From what i've seen, all these "cadetships" are glorified entry level real estate agent roles.

In regards to construction and engo, plenty of these available, especially in the current construction boom.
Just the one's I found on seek, so we're probably talking about the same ones, haha.

study2pass

HSC
Anyone been to a Hall Chadwick interview? How is the interview like? what questions do they ask etc.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
A Cadetship has popped up on SEEK in the insolvency industry being advertised through Pinstripe Recruitment (who are actually really lovely, this the agency I went through for my current role) - the role looks appears to be a combined role of personal and corporate insolvency:

http://www.seek.com.au/Job/29733763

Check it out!

matchalolz

HSC
This thread looks dead af but I need to ask anyway. Are there any current cadets who go to usyd? Is it really inconvenient/has no evening classes? Please share your experiences and enlighten me [emoji4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)