Cadetship Questions (1 Viewer)

User12

HSC
Hey everyone newbie here.

I have been talking to a few mates that finished yr 12 and are doing cadetships (if that statement makes sense :redface::redface:). I know basically what its about, working part time while studying at uni, hopefully in the area you want to work eventually in.

Can someone shed some more light on this topic as i would love to learn more about it :smile: Like does the university help you obtain cadetships and are there ones for every type of course and career paths, like Actuaries for example?

Thanks for your help everyone!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I don't personally have much experience with cadetships, although quite a few friends of mine are doing ICT cadetships in the Australian Public Service. They work two days a week as APS2 (that's around $40-50k full-time salary, not sure what that converts to for part-time cadets) and they spend the rest of their time doing uni.

Here at ANU the uni basically just advertises positions and doesn't really help with the rest of the process. Not sure what it's like at Sydney unis but I imagine it would depend on the uni, the course, the employer, etc.

User12

HSC
Thanks for the reply mate i appreciate it. Can anyone shed some light here as well?

BiancaC

HSC
Cadetships are very limited in terms of the field they are offered in.

They are most popular in business, specifically accounting. It involves turning a three year degree into four. Here, you work full-time and go to uni part-time for two years before you switch, working casually (part-time) and going to uni full-time for two years.

I'm speaking from a point of business as it is what I know well. Accounting is the most common in that most big 4 and mid-tier firms offer them. However, some investment banks also offer them in some internal firm functions (like operations and finance - the latter of which is really just internal accounting).

Universities often have career open days, but I dont think the firms and businesses who appear would offer details for cadetships. Its more focused on internships, vacationer and graduate roles. Cadetships are usually for people who have finished year 12 and in some instances are offered to first year uni students. I personally havent heard of an Actuaries cadetship (I think UNSW Co-op has something like that in its options) but someone else may know of one.

Universities other than this will not help you at all. Except if you get into UNSW Co-op (for just about any Business or Engineering area there is) and UTS BAcc (only accounting) the uni dont offer much help.

If you have a specific question please ask. I am starting a cadetship myself soon.

jaychouf4n

HSC
Cadetships are very limited in terms of the field they are offered in.

Cadetships are usually for people who have finished year 12 and in some instances are offered to first year uni students. I personally havent heard of an Actuaries cadetship (I think UNSW Co-op has something like that in its options) but someone else may know of one.

Universities other than this will not help you at all. Except if you get into UNSW Co-op (for just about any Business or Engineering area there is) and UTS BAcc (only accounting) the uni dont offer much help.

There is a quasi-actuarial cadetship at Zurich Financial Services. I am starting it next year. You work in 3 divisions of general insurance over 2 years, claims, operations and underwriting. While not specifically actuarial, it gives you exposure to insurance in a global company. (Rare, as most insurers in Australia don't have global operations) In any case, after 2 years, dependent upon performance, you are offered a graduate role and you can expand into Actuarial. Spots are difficult to gain, however, to my knowledge only 2 spots were offered in general insurance, so competition is pretty fierce. Another great thing about Zurich GI is that they only offer GI to companies, and being a global company, you get exposure to GI from small firms in Australia to TNCs worldwide so it really gives you a great variety of work.

Work is at a minimum of 2 days a week, though you can choose to increase or decrease it dependent upon how you feel. In the holidays, you can choose to work full time if you wish.

Otherwise, there is the Actuarial co-op which offers 3 work placements over 4 years in actuarial roles. These could be at retail banks like Westpac, to big 4 like PwC. For a full list of the sponsors, look at the co-op website. It is a "scholarship" in the sense that you are given $16,750 a year in weekly payments, HOWEVER, you are not paid in your work placements. These work placements are full time over 2 months? (I'm not sure about duration, so correct me if I am wrong)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)