Cadetships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Cadetships 2007

I agree with Meads. Just because it isn't an official assessment doesn't mean candidates aren't remembered by the staff.

kow_dude

HSC

It's unfortunate that employers still judge a book by its cover.

kow_dude

HSC

Nah, that's not what i meant.

Nevermind. I misread the previous posts.

ctkid

HSC

thx every1 for contributing, this is a great help, hope you all continue helpin us propective cadets:D

miss-smexy

HSC

I'm going! What time do you reckon it finishes? Because I'll get hungry =( and then I'll want dinner! =D

Ohh seremify007, are you going to be one of those cadets there that get to talk about your experience? lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

miss-smexy said:
I'm going! What time do you reckon it finishes? Because I'll get hungry =( and then I'll want dinner! =D

Ohh seremify007, are you going to be one of those cadets there that get to talk about your experience? lol
If it's anything like previous year info sessions, it finishes after a couple of hours but you're free to leave whenever. It includes a bit of a speech/presentation section, and mingling time with the firms.

As for talking, I won't be in the big presentation but I'm hoping to be at the info night and answer questions anyone may have.

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC

Meads said:
Incorrect.

These kind of events are very influential in regards to recruitment. I cannot stress that enough, it is no secret.

Particularly at the info nights for each firm, people do take notice. Catching people in a comfortable environment mingling with others (this is the intention) is a great way to get to know someone.
Actually coming to think of it you are right meads, but this evening is a place to get a better understanding from the experiences of other cadets, i wouldn't think it is a place to impress to the max, just a casual chit chat would do :).

Also if you are having doubts that you won't make it because of your school, that is unneccessarily untrue. i went to a school is was pretty much out of the ranks of the top 200 or 300, but i was able to get a cadetship, and also a friend of mine in the same school, so don't give up and apply anyways you never know what might happen :D

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

Whatever you do... Try not to make the fact that you're sucking up obvious.

It was painful to watch. :p

I remember at the ICAA evening, I spent ages conversing with a HR manager from a mid-tier firm. Great convo. Started after I asked him why nobody was eating the biscuits and nuts on the tables - after which we spent 20 minutes spilling our guts on how try-hardy some people are :p

I think a general hint is that they're human too. Would you rather talk to someone thats obviously sucking up or someone with character?

Then again, my friends and I are all westies. Raiding the free snacks was basically the first thing we did :<

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Vagabond said:
Whatever you do... Try not to make the fact that you're sucking up obvious.

It was painful to watch. :p
You think it's painful for you guys to watch....

Vagabond said:
I remember at the ICAA evening, I spent ages conversing with a HR manager from a mid-tier firm. Great convo. Started after I asked him why nobody was eating the biscuits and nuts on the tables - after which we spent 20 minutes spilling our guts on how try-hardy some people are :p
Gotta love convo starters with food. But be careful there Vagabond- someone remembered me as "the guy who asked me to try the satay"... not exactly the best and most professional image is it?!

LeeLoo

HSC

i dont do economics or business studies but im really interested in getting a cadetship. do you need that knowledge to do well in accounting?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC

LeeLoo said:
i dont do economics or business studies but im really interested in getting a cadetship. do you need that knowledge to do well in accounting?
No. You don't need to have either subject to get into an accounting degree (which is what you basically need for a cadetship).

You pick up the knowledge during uni.

LeeLoo

HSC

oh yay! thats cool

btw, who's going to the info evening on 24th may? =]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

kow_dude said:
It's unfortunate that employers still judge a book by its cover.
Don't forget though, clients will also judge you upon first impressions. So if you are someone who typically doesn't leave a positive first impression, what do you think your clients will say? Especially if you consider the chargeout rates nowadays...

LeeLoo said:
I'm inclined to think that if you're interested, then that makes all the difference. However, remember that a cadetship is aimed at people who already intended to study Accounting (or at least Commerce/Business) at uni. If you're only going to be studying Accounting BECAUSE you got offered a cadetship, the program might not be that interesting/exciting for you.

c0okies

HSC

seremify007 said:
remember that a cadetship is aimed at people who already intended to study Accounting (or at least Commerce/Business) at uni. If you're only going to be studying Accounting BECAUSE you got offered a cadetship, the program might not be that interesting/exciting for you.
just HAD to tell you guys

e&y doesn't follow this expectation. I'm not sure about the auditing division but (correct me if i'm wrong) in the tax division, you're allowed to do a combined law degree - and it doesnt have to be combined with commerce.

OR you could do commerce + some other course =)

an1tzz

HSC

hey just a quick question, are cadetships mostly for 4 years?

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC

c0okies said:

e&y doesn't follow this expectation. I'm not sure about the auditing division but (correct me if i'm wrong) in the tax division, you're allowed to do a combined law degree - and it doesnt have to be combined with commerce.

Combined law degree yes. Whether or not you dont have to do commerce/business degree with it is open to discussion with EY.

sweet-g

HSC

an1tzz said:
hey just a quick question, are cadetships mostly for 4 years?
The UTS cadetship is 4 years as opposed to the normal business course of 3 years. I for myself see UTS as the best uni for a cadetship.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

What is the relationship between UTS and course length? A cadetship will be 4 years in length regardless of whether you go to UNSW, UTS or Macquarie.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

c0okies said:

Are you sure? I'm pretty confident that most firms offering accounting cadetships are expecting the people to study accounting. It doesn't matter if you study something else like Law with it (and some firms, even PwC) will permit Comm/Law on a cadetship; but ultimately, you still need to study Accounting.

IMO if you're doing tax... I'm inclined to think studying accounting would be very useful/beneficial to you too.

sweet-g said:
The UTS cadetship is 4 years as opposed to the normal business course of 3 years. I for myself see UTS as the best uni for a cadetship.
What are you talking about o_O "UTS cadetship"? Cadetships are run by the individual firms, not the unis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)