Cadetships 2008/09 (1 Viewer)

oly1991

HSC
Hey, i'm going to be a 1st year commerce student at UNSW this year and i would love to do a cadetship.

Just a few questions:

1. When should i apply?
2. When do you undertake the cadetship?
3. will it hinder my study?

These questions have probably been answered, but i can't be bothered going through 60 pages of comments lol.

Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I believe there are cadetship applications open at the moment for some of the Big4- have a look at respective websites.

In summary though Oly, you should paply now, you'd be undertaking it from when the firm asks you to start (typically in 2011 for your batch, for 2 years; thus lengthening your 2nd year of full time uni into two years) and it may or may not hinder your study. Considering you'll be doing half as many subjects as normal plus you get a lot of leave from work to study/attend classes, there really is no excuse for it to seriously or significantly hinder your studies... but that being said, everyone is different and there may or will be times when you need to make the choice between making a work deadline and sorting out your university studies- it's a tough line to balance.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
^ yeah, in terms of your extracurriculars you've got it all set (i'm a big 4 cadet btw) maybe just through in some sport, music, etc, just make sure you can expand on them and talk/ write about how they will allow you to contribute to the firm (transferable) along with the all importnat work/life balance. Also, try to use marks as a selling point since I've noticed that many cadets range from average to stellar marks. This means you can separate yourself from the rest.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
^ yeah, in terms of your extracurriculars you've got it all set (i'm a big 4 cadet btw) maybe just through in some sport, music, etc, just make sure you can expand on them and talk/ write about how they will allow you to contribute to the firm (transferable) along with the all importnat work/life balance. Also, try to use marks as a selling point since I've noticed that many cadets range from average to stellar marks. This means you can separate yourself from the rest.
Fantastic, thanks a lot mate!

I've put down song writing and sport inside my personal interests and in some applications (depending on the application style) I've turned them into a selling point.

Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

Also, do you know how much extra curricular activities the Big 4 are looking for? I've started my own website (social awareness/civil rights sort of thing) and promoted it to 400 visitors in 72 hours, entered the CA student challenge, member of electronic frontiers australia and NIA, did volunteering web development for a small accounting company, world vision fund raising, 40 hour famine, city 2 surf and worlds greatest shave.

I've also got some work experience in two retail positions, one of which I was shift manager.

In your opinion, do I realistically have a chance or should I invest more time in my resume?

Thanks again for your help.
Just remember that you aren't aiming to create a list of things but instead you want to draw from it enough information to show you have skills which are relevant/useful to the employer, and to entice them into bringing you in for an interview. Yes some of the things you mentioned sound interesting but it all comes down to how you put it in your application. In other words, its not a reviewer going through a checklist of "does XYZ have at least 5 different activities? check."

when do applications open and close?
IIRC applications open mid May and close end of June.

Benkas

HSC
hey I was just wondering, what types of cadetships are there (to do with commerce)? apart from accounting ones??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Alot of industries offer them but for different purposes with very different conditions. From memory there are some in the building/construction industry (e.g. ABI group), some in sales (e.g. Trivett), there also used to be "Business cadetships" (e.g. BNP Paribas, UBS, etc) but you'll need to research these thoroughly... most of the ones discussed on BoS relate to accounting and as far as I know, they are the only Commerce-ish ones still around. Also keep in mind that these are supported by an industry body/association rather than any individual company hence the scale and rigidity in the format.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Do any experienced cadets or past cadets here find it difficult to stay motivated during university study (i.e.minimum high credit) considering that you pretty much are guaranteed a job after graduation?

Right now I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to study at a level for D to HD. I was hoping for any experienced cadets to give me some advice on this.

Cheers

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do any experienced cadets or past cadets here find it difficult to stay motivated during university study (i.e.minimum high credit) considering that you pretty much are guaranteed a job after graduation?

Right now I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to study at a level for D to HD. I was hoping for any experienced cadets to give me some advice on this.

Cheers
LOL yes. I agree that it is difficult to maintain the incentive but usually your fellow cadets have at least one in the bunch who are motivated and that can spread?

Whilst you may have a guaranteed job, a lot of top institutions/firms/companies still will look at your university WAM should you choose to change jobs or look for other options in your final year of study.... your lower WAM may be partially excused by your full time work, it's made a lot more impressive by the fact you were working and you've got experience under your belt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)