Cadetships 2008/09 (3 Viewers)

nnp

HSC
N/A
Re: Cadetships 2007

i am going to the KPMG night tommorow, is anyone else coming?

miss-smexy

HSC

nnp said:
i am going to the KPMG night tommorow, is anyone else coming?
Yeh maybe if I manage to finish all my assessments/hw on time!

aricho

HSC
N/A

i went to UTS, was pretty good. yeah i had to drive home haha
umm i was supposed to be going to KPMG, i rang up last tuesday, and nobody got back to me so i assumed i had been put down. I got a call last night saying they were full. which sucks considering i rang TWICE to confirm over a week earlier. i reckons i should still go, what do u guys think?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I've noticed alot of people say they are skipping alot of these firm networking/career events because they have exams coming up in the weeks ahead... honestly speaking, and I don't mean to say this will represent all cadets or coops lifestyles, but the reality with our job is that both now as undergrads, and later on when you return as a grad and study CA, you will always be balancing work with studies so if anything, this is just a good way to see if you're able to do just that. Sometimes you'll be so into something at work you don't want to take time off in advance to study for a small midsem/quiz, or something urgent pops up which only you can answer or do properly a couple of days before an exam, and you have to be able to balance. Sure academics/uni results aren't so important compared to HSC, but the reality is you will need to manage your time properly on either a cadetship or coop program because unpredictable things can happen.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC

aricho said:
i went to UTS, was pretty good. yeah i had to drive home haha
umm i was supposed to be going to KPMG, i rang up last tuesday, and nobody got back to me so i assumed i had been put down. I got a call last night saying they were full. which sucks considering i rang TWICE to confirm over a week earlier. i reckons i should still go, what do u guys think?
No, just disregard KPMG when applying due to their poor form :p

Only kidding. I would attend.

sickone

HSC

Since most firms offer cadetships in only taxation and assurance, which of these sections would be better to apply for, if say i wanted to get into advisory later down the track????

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC

sickone said:
Since most firms offer cadetships in only taxation and assurance, which of these sections would be better to apply for, if say i wanted to get into advisory later down the track????
Meh very subjective.

I would say tax, because you will to tax advisory work, and also potentially work with the advisory/transaction/M&A teams doing due diligence and the like.

miss-smexy

HSC

sickone said:
How about if you wanted to do corporate finance?

nnp

HSC
N/A

hello Meads,
which firm are you working for?

aricho

HSC
N/A

hey has anyone got a copy of the tests they might give you?
like psychometric or mathematical and verbal?
i dont really know what to expect? are there any practise ones available?
what kind of testing did you guys have to do?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

miss-smexy said:
How about if you wanted to do corporate finance?
Alot of people I know move on from Audit into TS so I'd say that'd be in a similar league. Audit gives you an overall understanding of a business and how to identify risky areas which would help in an evaluation.

aricho said:
ROFLMAO this isn't the selective high test you know, you're not supposed to be practising for it. And on a sidenote, as others have mentioned many times I'd imagine, academics aren't everything. Do you really think for a cadetship position, they will ask you to do something totally unrelated to our job like 3d integration when the HSC already tests you on that?

aricho

HSC
N/A

haha ok
every1 update us wen u hear about interviews etc

HSC

when applying for the cadetships, a lot of them ask for cover letters, who should we be addressing the cover letters to? thanks :)

ctkid

HSC

blackpinkblack said:
when applying for the cadetships, a lot of them ask for cover letters, who should we be addressing the cover letters to? thanks :)
sir/madam
because u dont want to make the mistake of using the wrong salutation like a ms for a mrs or a mr for ms
lol...i hav seen it happen b4

cazzy160344

HSC

Uh huh, I've been using sir/madam for all my covering letters.:)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

For smaller/mid-tier firms there is usually a HR contact listed to whom the letter should be addressed to.

The smaller the company, the more important it is for you to address the letter to them. If no HR person is listed, ring up and ask who you should address the letter to.

For bigger companies this may also apply if it is clear that a particular HR director is in charge of the recruitment.

Only use dear sir/madam or to whom it may concern if absolutely necessary.

Also, Ms. is perfectly acceptable for all women regardless of their marital status.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Vagabond said:
For smaller/mid-tier firms there is usually a HR contact listed to whom the letter should be addressed to.

The smaller the company, the more important it is for you to address the letter to them. If no HR person is listed, ring up and ask who you should address the letter to.

For bigger companies this may also apply if it is clear that a particular HR director is in charge of the recruitment.

Only use dear sir/madam or to whom it may concern if absolutely necessary.

Also, Ms. is perfectly acceptable for all women regardless of their marital status.
LOL you should've attended the PwC workshop last night... suggestion was avoid using salutations unless you're 100% definite!

roadcone

HSC

aricho said:
haha, calm down..

most, in fact pretty much all, hire you to fit in with the culture that is already established within the firm therefore even if you did practice these exams you would have no idea what answers are correct because every firm is looking for something different.

aricho

HSC
N/A

seremify007 said:
LOL you should've attended the PwC workshop last night... suggestion was avoid using salutations unless you're 100% definite!
do u work for pwc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)