• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
N/A
Nuuu. DON'T SAY THAT. :cry:

I don't know why they can't be flexible with it though. It's just my progress with uni would be different to everyone else, i'm not exactly behind or anything.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Still apply!
When I was working at my first job the applications said High School only, but one of us had done first year already.

Maybe call up their HR or whomever is in charge of the cadetship process and see if they would accept a first year. If you tell them you're willing to study part time it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

http://www.rsmi.com.au/careers/student_opportunities/about_cadetship_program.html
It appears a Kylie Young is the HR advisor.

And anyway, on their site it says "Typically our cadets join us straight from year 12. " Doesn't mean every single one is ;)

Plus, they might have an opening for a first year rather than a school leaver.
You never know, you might score a job starting next semester :p

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Still apply!
When I was working at my first job the applications said High School only, but one of us had done first year already.

Maybe call up their HR or whomever is in charge of the cadetship process and see if they would accept a first year. If you tell them you're willing to study part time it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

http://www.rsmi.com.au/careers/student_opportunities/about_cadetship_program.html
It appears a Kylie Young is the HR advisor.

And anyway, on their site it says "Typically our cadets join us straight from year 12. " Doesn't mean every single one is ;)

Plus, they might have an opening for a first year rather than a school leaver.
You never know, you might score a job starting next semester :p
I did apply, fingers crossed! Do you reckon I should email her about it? Or does that make me look desperate?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I think calling her would be better, but if you can't because your busy then I'd email.

HSC
N/A
What if she thinks, "bitch, I wouldn't have given it to you anyway, why are you so desperate?"

I'll call her on Thursday...but only if you honestly think that it doesn't make me seem desperate :p
I wanna come across as keen, but not so keen that my entire world would collapse if I dont get it. inb4 she's reading this thread.

Jinks

HSC
What if she thinks, "bitch, I wouldn't have given it to you anyway, why are you so desperate?"

I'll call her on Thursday...but only if you honestly think that it doesn't make me seem desperate :p
I wanna come across as keen, but not so keen that my entire world would collapse if I dont get it. inb4 she's reading this thread.
LOL and secondly just say something like you only found out about cadetship opportunities during first year uni and are wondering how strict the recruitment is on year 12 students only as you really want to start a career with a professional services firm etc etc

Examine

same
HSC
What do you guys think would be the differences in doing a cadetship at the big 4 to doing a cadetship at a mid tier firm? (other than having relatively better career progression if you initially wanted to work at the Big 4)

Jinks

HSC
What do you guys think would be the differences in doing a cadetship at the big 4 to doing a cadetship at a mid tier firm? (other than having relatively better career progression if you initially wanted to work at the Big 4)
Maybe the CA support would also be greater at a big 4, with a larger group to do it with. Also as a cadet im not sure that mid-tiers offer the same sort of study grant that the big 4 seem to do, hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Most large and mid-tiers offer some kind of CA support but it definitely varies significantly between firms/companies/etc. For example, some large organisations employ external tutors to help facilitate extra coaching as well as out of hours support for CA studies, whilst others use their own internal resources to run their own training. Then there's also leave entitlements and costs/bonds.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with what both guys have said.

In my experience, at mid-tier we received a textbook allowance of $50 per subject, and 2 days of leave per subject, per exam (Ie. the day before and the day of the exam).

I didn't see anything regarding training for CA students in my time, though they did receive a subsidy for books and course fees.
We had regular staff training, but there wasn't like, a specific time where somebody sat down with all the CA students and coached them.

I also think another advantage of Big 4 is the opportunity to try more branches of accounting rather than one job. I know when I left my job there wasn't an opportunity to just move to say, Audit instead. I've heard a few people mention some Big 4 let you try out different fields before settling down, and I presume there would be more room to move to a different department purely because of the size of the firms.

I think Seremify has mentioned in the past big 4 like PwC may give more leeway to do an exchange overseas while your in uni. I know for most smaller firms loosing a member of staff for 6 months to a year wouldn't be an option.

I would also say Big 4 would be good for your uni studies/networking/social life because there are more people your age than a smaller firm. At my old firm there was 13 cadets, and at my new job I'm the youngest person by 4 years, and then the next youngest person is 35 or something :p

I know there are other young people in our city office, but I don't see them often :lol:

It was really great being able to talk to other people going through the same process as you about work and studies and everything. I made some really great friendships at my old job. :)

Examine

same
HSC
Thanks for all your responses guys.

Also Seremify I think you can change your sig now :p

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
it says I have only 1 Rep Power but 12 Rep Points, how does this system work!?
IIRC, Rep power had to do with how much rep you give, and reputation points were how much other people gave your posts.

I almost went gold before the old Rep system went down. Also, I'm super disappointed we don't have neg repping any more :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)