Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaeder

HSC
Do I need to fill out the section asking for my GPA in the EY application? I'm in first year and haven't done my trimester one exams yet so idk what I should do about this section.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do I need to fill out the section asking for my GPA in the EY application? I'm in first year and haven't done my trimester one exams yet so idk what I should do about this section.
Maybe put your ATAR down and if you have an opportunity to, explain that? I'm sure you're not the only one in that boat!

Glaeder

HSC
Maybe put your ATAR down and if you have an opportunity to, explain that? I'm sure you're not the only one in that boat!
They ask for that in the following section. I don't even know how my uni calculates the GPA, I just attached a document with screenshots of my current uni marks. Hopefully that will suffice otherwise I will try ring the Uni tomorrow and find out.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
They ask for that in the following section. I don't even know how my uni calculates the GPA, I just attached a document with screenshots of my current uni marks. Hopefully that will suffice otherwise I will try ring the Uni tomorrow and find out.
Do they look for a credit or distinction average :0?

HSC
I haven't started any applications yet, i'm studying for assessments right now. Do they take time to finish?

Jinks

HSC
I haven't started any applications yet, i'm studying for assessments right now. Do they take time to finish?
Yeah they do actually, some have a fair few questions that you need to answer, and some close pretty soon I think!

Jinks

HSC
Do they look for a credit or distinction average :0?
There is no specific grade requirement, just try to have a balance between the best marks you can achieve with a mix of extra curricular activities :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
There is no specific grade requirement, just try to have a balance between the best marks you can achieve with a mix of extra curricular activities :)
I don't have any haha. I travel 4 hours a day for UNi.

zaczaczac

HSC
Anyone know what to put for the "date of availability" if I'm in Year 12 and applying for a cadetship? Like should I just put January/February/March 2014 since that's when most cadetships start I assume?

Or should I write my last day of HSC exams.....late october 2013....?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone know what to put for the "date of availability" if I'm in Year 12 and applying for a cadetship? Like should I just put January/February/March 2014 since that's when most cadetships start I assume?

Or should I write my last day of HSC exams.....late October 2013....?
If you are willing to go straight into work, then put when you exams finish. If you'd like a break between the HSC and beginning work, then put January/February.

My brother went straight into his cadetship about two weeks after he finished school, he basically hasn't taken a proper holiday since. :p

zaczaczac

HSC
If you are willing to go straight into work, then put when you exams finish. If you'd like a break between the HSC and beginning work, then put January/February.

My brother went straight into his cadetship about two weeks after he finished school, he basically hasn't taken a proper holiday since. :p
Ahhh okay thanks, see I'm eager to start working but I probably should enjoy the break while I can.....which company is this? I'm just worried they would take who is available earlier over me.....and also then I might need to get a part time job to hold me over until january, which is a lot of fuss for nothing if I already had a job available

Hmm any advice? I think jan 2014 is the sensible option so that I don't burn out......

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
He was with a smaller firm called McBurney and Partners. I don't think larger mid tier and big 4 would start cadets earlier, so i wouldnt be worried if your only applying for them.

I personally, would recommend taking a break between hsc and starting work. It's 4 months when you can just do nothing and nobody cares. My brother went straight into work, stayed there for 4 years and then moved over Cristmas/new year into where he works as a grad now. He's staring his CA soon, so realistically he's just not going to be able to take a longer break (ie. longer than 2 weeks) until after his CA is done now :c

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CA flies by really quickly if you're able to pass every time. Also gives you a great reason to take time off work :)

zaczaczac

HSC
So let's say I never considered an accounting cadetship, but now I realise the cadetship program is basically invaluable.....I'm pretty interested BUT I really can't see myself being an accountant...
I swear I'm not one of those people who aren't remotely interested and are just doing it for the pay or because it's a good opportunity.....but if I don't get a business cadetship surely this is the next best option since it'll give me experience and hopefully some sort of pathway into the industry.....even if I do have to major in accounting.....vs more economics/less just numbers :\

So do you think it is silly to go into a degree and major in something which is not your first choice, just because it's it seems a better option than going and doing a major a prefer a bit more because that runs the risk (especially in this market) of lessening my chances of employment/entering the industry/business field in general?

Not sure if any of that made sense. Basically I'm interested in business, and I'm not entirely sure if that extends to accounting or just to other areas
......I kind of want the option of possibly branching off into something which combines business & law (not a degree exactly, a job)

Examine

same
HSC
So let's say I never considered an accounting cadetship, but now I realise the cadetship program is basically invaluable.....I'm pretty interested BUT I really can't see myself being an accountant...
I swear I'm not one of those people who aren't remotely interested and are just doing it for the pay or because it's a good opportunity.....but if I don't get a business cadetship surely this is the next best option since it'll give me experience and hopefully some sort of pathway into the industry.....even if I do have to major in accounting.....vs more economics/less just numbers :\

So do you think it is silly to go into a degree and major in something which is not your first choice, just because it's it seems a better option than going and doing a major a prefer a bit more because that runs the risk (especially in this market) of lessening my chances of employment/entering the industry/business field in general?

Not sure if any of that made sense. Basically I'm interested in business, and I'm not entirely sure if that extends to accounting or just to other areas
......I kind of want the option of possibly branching off into something which combines business & law (not a degree exactly, a job)
If you are going for finance then you can do a double major in commerce (Finance and Accounting). And I think seremify said somewhere before that there have been occasions where people have gone from being a cadet to working in the finance industry.

tambam

HSC

I have a few cadet friends who are doing audit in financial services to gain exposure to the finance industry, because their ultimate goal is IB.

Personally, when I was in your position, I didn't know if accounting appealed to me that much. I just knew that it would get me great exposure to a wide variety of business industries, which would be invaluable experience for whatever commerce related career path I would want later on.

Now that I've actually started working, I'm still not sure that I would want to be an accountant when I graduate, but I've realised that its much much more than just working with numbers. If you're interested in working in something that involves business & law, you could consider going into tax services (which is the division I'm in). On a day to day basis I do a fair bit of tax compliance work (tax returns, activity statements etc.), but at a higher level there's a lot of tax consulting work which requires in depth knowledge of tax legislation. I admit that before I began work, I was extremely skeptical about how interesting tax would be, but now that I've actually assisted with and heard about the strategies that my colleagues come up with, I find it extremely fascinating. I was chatting to a partner the other day, who told me he moved from audit to tax because its much more of a challenge.

Anyway, my main point is, although many people associate accounting with audit, just realise that accounting is very broad, so definitely do your research about what each of the areas involve.

Glaeder

HSC
Just go on one of the firms websites and read up on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)