Cadetships 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Are any of you guys doing cadetships or interested in doing cadetships? Is it hard to get a cadetship offer at the big 4 accounting firms?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm not at a big 4 four and I'm not really doing a cadetship... But I guess you can prove to a small firm that you're worth the investment. That's what I did. Now they're paying for uni and doing a cert III business admin @ getting trained as a junior accountant as soon as I start uni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esaitchkay

HSC
Interested in applying for cadetships/co-op; basically anything I can get my hands on haha.
I would be interested in reading about other peoples' experiences as well and any advice they have to give!

Jinks

HSC
Best place to start your research would be the Cadetship 2013 discussion thread, worth reading from start to finish! Also go through the links on the first page of previous years and give those a read, heaps of information to get everyone started!

gilza95

HSC
Go to the chartered accountants conference thing it's maybe in june/july.. Very good insights into cadetships and you meet and greet firm representatives and stuff like that really helpful

ellentat

HSC
Are any of you guys doing cadetships or interested in doing cadetships? Is it hard to get a cadetship offer at the big 4 accounting firms?
You can't really pin point the degree of difficulty or easiness in being offered a cadetship. It's all a very different application process for everyone. A lot of people think the hardest part is the interview but the first step is the hardest which is the online application and/or phone interviews. These two really give the first impression to HR recruiters and almost majority do get culled after these two stages. Take one step at a time and it won't be as difficult as you think it would be (from experience, I received offers from the big 3:)).

As Jinks as mentioned, you will receive great advice from reading previous year's threads.

esaitchkay

HSC
You can't really pin point the degree of difficulty or easiness in being offered a cadetship. It's all a very different application process for everyone. A lot of people think the hardest part is the interview but the first step is the hardest which is the online application and/or phone interviews. These two really give the first impression to HR recruiters and almost majority do get culled after these two stages. Take one step at a time and it won't be as difficult as you think it would be (from experience, I received offers from the big 3:)).

As Jinks as mentioned, you will receive great advice from reading previous year's threads.
thanks for the advice ellentat! really amazed at your big 3 (does deloitte even offer a program??) cleansweep! (read through the whole 2013 thread a few days ago)
How are you finding the cadetship now?

ellentat

HSC
thanks for the advice ellentat! really amazed at your big 3 (does deloitte even offer a program??) cleansweep! (read through the whole 2013 thread a few days ago)
How are you finding the cadetship now?
Deloitte didn't offer a cadetship program and they haven't for many years (don't think they are this year). However I remember they have a "development program" university students can apply for, should check up on their website for further information (that's if you're in uni and not undertaking your HSC).

I don't start my traineeship until 2nd year uni which is next year:)

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Deloitte didn't offer a cadetship program and they haven't for many years (don't think they are this year). However I remember they have a "development program" university students can apply for, should check up on their website for further information (that's if you're in uni and not undertaking your HSC).

I don't start my traineeship until 2nd year uni which is next year:)
Deloitte is going to offer a cadetship this year, but only for 1st year university students.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Should I do a proper cadetship later in my degree?

I was thinking to work at the firm I'm at for a for 2-3 years (studying part-time) and then go for one of those programs.

Dunno if I should go for it next year... I like the stability of my current job since I'm permanent.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

I was thinking to work at the firm I'm at for a for 2-3 years (studying part-time) and then go for one of those programs.

Dunno if I should go for it next year... I like the stability of my current job since I'm permanent.
You are pretty much a permanent at the firm you're doing the cadetship with,it's on a yearly contract basis,but the only reason they would void it is if you really do something dumb or start to perform really bad(and even then they will take measures to try and get you back up to standards),this sort of thing goes for any firm though,so I don't really see any negative in terms of going for a cadetship. If though you prefer a small firm type setting, I don't think staying at your current firm is a bad idea. Does the traineeship you have now offer about the same benefits and training as a cadetship would? Will they guarentee you a graduate job once you do graduate? You'll have to ask yourself these kind of questions and then weigh the pros and cons of your current placement and a cadetship at another firm, in the end it'll be ultimately your decision to make.

Feel free to ask me or anybody else if you're not sure about the exact benefits of a cadetship. (Ellen and Jinks work a big4 and I work at a mid-tier)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
You are pretty much a permanent at the firm you're doing the cadetship with,it's on a yearly contract basis,but the only reason they would void it is if you really do something dumb or start to perform really bad(and even then they will take measures to try and get you back up to standards),this sort of thing goes for any firm though,so I don't really see any negative in terms of going for a cadetship. If though you prefer a small firm type setting, I don't think staying at your current firm is a bad idea. Does the traineeship you have now offer about the same benefits and training as a cadetship would? Will they guarentee you a graduate job once you do graduate? You'll have to ask yourself these kind of questions and then weigh the pros and cons of your current placement and a cadetship at another firm, in the end it'll be ultimately your decision to make.

Feel free to ask me or anybody else if you're not sure about the exact benefits of a cadetship. (Ellen and Jinks work a big4 and I work at a mid-tier)
So, technically speaking, my position doesn't label me a trainee or cadet. I'm their share registry administrator, so I deal with share reg inquiries, process off-market transfer and when they do share offers to existing share holders I collect payment and reconcile the accounts but that's all. So let's just say I'm a full-time employee. They're lenient with giving me time off and letting me leave early for school and studying in work hours, so long as I fulfill my role.

edit: atm I'm doing a cert III business admin

When I start my degree they'll start training me as an assistant accountant, which I am excited about. I think I should just stick it out till my degree ends and then look at bigger firms. Since by the time I finish I would have a solid 3-4 years as an allrounder, with admin & accounting experience.

Last edited:

ellentat

HSC

If you really want to do a cadetship which is a 2 full time commitment at a Big 4 then your last chance is to apply in first year uni. Other than that, if you aren't that keen on it and just want some experience, you can apply for internships. There are graduates who do summer internships and receive a graduate offer. Choice is dependent on what type of experience you would like to gain.

As Chronost has mentioned, feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Jinks

HSC
It's good to see the ones who asked for help last year are now the ones giving it!

esaitchkay

HSC
@chrono and anyone else currently on an accounting (the most popular) cadetship:
What field of accounting are you in (or do some companies have flexi programs?), and what do you actually do?
i.e., write reports, check business inventory, get coffee for your boss :)P) ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)