Cadetships 2014 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I can only think of people who did a coop scholarship who did actuarial. I do remember back in the day business cadetships were pretty relaxed in terms of what you studied (i.e. not as prescriptive as an accounting cadetship).

On another note, some firms may be willing to let you do accounting/actuarial in some form if the university is flexible and you're still able to meet both the working commitments (i.e. full time job) and be ready to start as a graduate in the same time. It'll have to be discussed on a case by case basis I'd expect.

Irateyou

HSC
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of applying for a cadetship in one of the big four, but im not sure whether my marks/subjects are suited.
What sort of marks would you need to attain a cadetship? My ranks/marks are a little above average at my school (private, ranked top 20) and they are all humanities except for 2U maths. Do you think I have a shot with these marks and subjects?

Cheers!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of applying for a cadetship in one of the big four, but im not sure whether my marks/subjects are suited.
What sort of marks would you need to attain a cadetship? My ranks/marks are a little above average at my school (private, ranked top 20) and they are all humanities except for 2U maths. Do you think I have a shot with these marks and subjects?

Cheers!
Yes above average at top 20 is still good, as long you've got a decent atar estimate then you'll be fine. They don't mind what subjects you do as long as you can show your interest in accounting/the job itself,it might be a bit easier to articulate when you've done something like business studies or economics and start reading the business news, but if you can show some of that with your combination of subjects then that's completely fine too. Note the Big 4 don't use marks as their main factor, it's a combination of things that's taken into accounting and marks are just one of the many in that combination. I feel as though you're trying to put too much of an emphasis on marks.

(note i say decent atar estimate,but the Big 4 don't mind too much as long as they see consistency and effort into studies, which are shown through your decent subject ranks(since even average at top 20 is all you need)

koolkid59

HSC
If you're in a acc cadetship program, what sort of marks should you be getting at uni subjects given that a majority of your time is spent doing full time work.

Thanks in advance!

esaitchkay

HSC
Has anyone gotten a reply from ubs to continue onto online competency testing yet?
I would've thought that the high volume of applications would mean they would process on a rolling basis.
Also, what do you guys think about the technology applications? Would there be any segue into business from that path?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're in a acc cadetship program, what sort of marks should you be getting at uni subjects given that a majority of your time is spent doing full time work.

Thanks in advance!
Most firms don't enforce a minimum other than expecting you to pass. Given you're doing half load/part time load rather than full time study load, it's not difficult to manage and many cadets voluntarily overload.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Hi guys, a friend of mine told me about cadetships and I’m very interested about it. After reading the 40 pages in the 2013 thread, I still have some questions.
1. I dont have interest in doing any course in uni but i’ll have to choose one mainly because of my parents etc. I’m motivated by money so the cadetship is a really good incentive for me. Do you think that is enough motivation to finish the degree and cadetship?
2. I have 0 extracurriculars. How do I compete with the school captains,prefects, volunteers with more than 200 clocked hours? LOL I’ve only had a part time job for a brief period of time at a fast food place. What are the recruiters looking in particular?
3. Who has more chance of getting in? Highschool leavers or first year uni students? (also when is the main period of time when the applications are available)
4. Is there anything wrong with starting at a mid tier firm? Why the hype for the big 4?
5. Is there a place where i can subscribe my email so i can have constant updates when applications being? Or do I have to save a list of every individual website and click them a few days a week?

esaitchkay

HSC
Hi guys, a friend of mine told me about cadetships....
I'm also interested in cadetships and tbh, I think it's stupid to understate the importance of money (can't live on hope n dreams), but at the same time, it seems like working full time and studying part time will be quite hard, and I suppose the motivation is up to yourself - whether you really want it, and why you want it. Surely you have some vague interests for uni (business, med, arts, engineering etc etc)? You should have a look at the ICAA website, as it has a lot of information! :)

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
Surely you have some vague interests for uni (business, med, arts, engineering etc etc)? You should have a look at the ICAA website, as it has a lot of information! :)
Business- thats why im at this thread :L but thats only if i HAD TO choose
med- soz too stupid for umat
arts- you get shit for doing it
engineering- contact hours and dont do 4u maths :(

I think it's stupid to understate the importance of money (can't live on hope n dreams)
This so much. Obviously there are other ways of earning money but I honestly don't see how unless you go to uni to do a degree. At the same time, that doesn't mean guaranteed jobs for graduates, I've read some graduates haven't had a job in their respective fields for like half a year.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i understand firms expect us to pass. But whats a good mark to maintain in case we want to get employed for another firm later onwards?
I'd say a high Credit or a Distinction would be good, but it's no guarantee it'll get you another job.

how do i get cadetship? PLEASE explain ;(
Read the ICAA website and attend the events.

I'm also interested in cadetships and tbh, I think it's stupid to understate the importance of money (can't live on hope n dreams), but at the same time, it seems like working full time and studying part time will be quite hard, and I suppose the motivation is up to yourself - whether you really want it, and why you want it. Surely you have some vague interests for uni (business, med, arts, engineering etc etc)? You should have a look at the ICAA website, as it has a lot of information! :)
I think the key thing to remember is the money isn't that great especially not whilst you're a cadet. Yes $35-$40k sounds like a lot but it's a full time job. You'd probably get more than that at Target or Maccas if you worked similar hours and have a lot less stress.

If someone is thinking of undertaking a cadetship, the only real reason should be for the long term career prospects either within the firm, within the industry or just as a stepping stone. Doing it for the money is probably not an optimal choice.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Business- thats why im at this thread :L but thats only if i HAD TO choose
med- soz too stupid for umat
arts- you get shit for doing it
engineering- contact hours and dont do 4u maths :(

This so much. Obviously there are other ways of earning money but I honestly don't see how unless you go to uni to do a degree. At the same time, that doesn't mean guaranteed jobs for graduates, I've read some graduates haven't had a job in their respective fields for like half a month.
In relation to arts.. Who cares if you get shit

It is your life, and you can do whatever you want.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys, a friend of mine told me about cadetships and I’m very interested about it. After reading the 40 pages in the 2013 thread, I still have some questions.
1. I dont have interest in doing any course in uni but i’ll have to choose one mainly because of my parents etc. I’m motivated by money so the cadetship is a really good incentive for me. Do you think that is enough motivation to finish the degree and cadetship?
2. I have 0 extracurriculars. How do I compete with the school captains,prefects, volunteers with more than 200 clocked hours? LOL I’ve only had a part time job for a brief period of time at a fast food place. What are the recruiters looking in particular?
3. Who has more chance of getting in? Highschool leavers or first year uni students? (also when is the main period of time when the applications are available)
4. Is there anything wrong with starting at a mid tier firm? Why the hype for the big 4?
5. Is there a place where i can subscribe my email so i can have constant updates when applications being? Or do I have to save a list of every individual website and click them a few days a week?
1. Do you even have an interest in accounting or business? If not, you won't get very far and I doubt you'll be willing to put in the effort to do well. The reality is that many cadets have to work unpaid overtime to get things done but they do so because they value the experience and opportunities it'll lead to. There are plenty of other jobs which you could do whilst studying which would be less stress, less hours and more pay (e.g. data entry, call centres, etc).
2. Good luck with 0 ECs. Read the 40 page thread again as I'm sure somewhere it's mentioned the focus is on what you've learnt and what you can bring to the role you're applying for.
3. I don't think they really differentiate between the two.
4. No there's nothing wrong. It depends what you value and what you want.
5. Closest thing would be one of the chartered accountants website newsletters but they aren't firm specific- it might tell you when events are on though. Applications tend to open/close at similar times though between firms.

koolkid59

HSC
Isn't it hard and unrealistic to consistently maintain a high credit or distinction average whilst doing a full time cadetship? Aren't passes enough throughout your cadetship given that you're having about 3-4 years direct experience? As a cadet i just dont know what to aim for in my uni subjects and how much effort i should put in to uni? Will employers for graduate recruitment understand that my experience is enough despite having only pass average? Or will they cull my application?
Thanks in advance!

esaitchkay

HSC
I think the key thing to remember is the money isn't that great especially not whilst you're a cadet. Yes $35-$40k sounds like a lot but it's a full time job. You'd probably get more than that at Target or Maccas if you worked similar hours and have a lot less stress.

If someone is thinking of undertaking a cadetship, the only real reason should be for the long term career prospects either within the firm, within the industry or just as a stepping stone. Doing it for the money is probably not an optimal choice.

Yeah I would agree with this. From what I've heard, it seems like slave labour :p but I think it'll be valuable in learning key practical skills earlier than others.

Chronost

HSC
Isn't it hard and unrealistic to consistently maintain a high credit or distinction average whilst doing a full time cadetship? Aren't passes enough throughout your cadetship given that you're having about 3-4 years direct experience? As a cadet i just dont know what to aim for in my uni subjects and how much effort i should put in to uni? Will employers for graduate recruitment understand that my experience is enough despite having only pass average? Or will they cull my application?
Thanks in advance!
it really isn't I still get a fair amount of time to study with my cadetship you just need to plan your time well and put studies as a priority over some party on the weekend. Plus business subjects for first year aren't relatively hard. Depends where you want to apply with your pass average and relevant work experience (i wouldn't say direct as you could be doing something different in accounting), it might enough for some positions, but others would be dictate at least a credit average to show you can handle study to a certain degree with full-time work as once you graduate you'll still need to do your CA which is much harder to pass then a pass in first year uni subjects.

Last edited:

mel1729

HSC
Hi, I have questions surrounding on a whole how conservative most firms are.
At the moment I have pretty long hair and present as male. How would most interviewers from firms view this? I ask as long hair in men is not commonplace from what i've seen in most business offices.
This kinda brings me onto my second question, I am transgender and look at transitioning from male to female near the end of the year after exams. Should I disclose my trans* status to the employer during my interviews (if I even get that far)? Or if I get a Cadetship placement should I wait until the start of my transition and talk about to the situation with someone from the HR team?
Thanks, these threads have been great reads.

Chronost

HSC
Hi, I have questions surrounding on a whole how conservative most firms are.
At the moment I have pretty long hair and present as male. How would most interviewers from firms view this? I ask as long hair in men is not commonplace from what i've seen in most business offices.
This kinda brings me onto my second question, I am transgender and look at transitioning from male to female near the end of the year after exams. Should I disclose my trans* status to the employer during my interviews (if I even get that far)? Or if I get a Cadetship placement should I wait until the start of my transition and talk about to the situation with someone from the HR team?
Thanks, these threads have been great reads.
Lol good one.

Chronost

HSC
In relation to arts.. Who cares if you get shit

It is your life, and you can do whatever you want.
It's your life yes, but when you parents are accomodating you and raised you to get somewhere in life,and you just do a plain arts degree...then goodluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)