Cadetships 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prouille24

HSC
Also, what are the pros and cons of a cadetship at the big 4 vs a cadetship at a small to medium tier firm

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Also, what are the pros and cons of a cadetship at the big 4 vs a cadetship at a small to medium tier firm
You have to ask that yourself and what you want to get out of your cadetship in a big4 vs small/mid-tier, a pro could be a con to someone else and vice versa.

Prouille24

HSC
Well I want to have a more balanced life than just working late into the night which occurs a lot for cadets at the big 4 also I would like flexibility if if it is at the cost of less pay as I would prefer more days off for university study.

My list of pros and cons

Big 4:
Pros:
Better Reputation
Better salary
More scope for going up the ladder
Lots of people in similar positions e.g. Cadets balancing work and uni life
Better future employment prospects- pretty much sets you up for life
Networking

Cons:
Longer hours
Less flexible
Worse social life
Harder to get know people within the firm
Your input is less valued as you are just one employee among thousands

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Well I want to have a more balanced life than just working late into the night which occurs a lot for cadets at the big 4 also I would like flexibility if if it is at the cost of less pay as I would prefer more days off for university study.

My list of pros and cons

Big 4:
Pros:
Better Reputation
Better salary
Networking

Cons:
Longer hours
Less flexible
Worse social life
Some things there can be argued to be honest,both on the pros and the cons.I'll just go into your paragraph rather then your list and say alot of cadets from both big 4 and smaller firms can work till late night and big 4 are actually quite generous with their study leave.

Prouille24

HSC
Also, any tips for interviews particularly in regards to what the written task involves as well as any good questions to ask prospective employers during the interview. Plus, are there any particular questions the firms like to ask?

Hey chronost, what firm and uni are you at if you are doing a cadetship and also what degree are you doing.

Thank you very much

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
LOL,

I got the position at Hall Chadwick.

Cried for half the day confused as to what to do. Chronost said I should take it.

Probably will.

Just need to remain composed at work and speak with my manager.

Jinks

HSC

My list of pros and cons

Big 4:
Pros:
Better Reputation
Better salary
Networking

Cons:
Longer hours
Less flexible
Worse social life
From my experience I think Big 4 are probably more flexible with leave, exactly the same social life (if not better due to bigger firm events), the same amount of hours you would be doing anywhere as a cadet, and no harder/easier to get to know people. Also you'll be working in a team not with thousands so your input is just as valued as the guy/girl sitting next to you.

Jinks

HSC
LOL,

Cried for half the day confused as to what to do. Chronost said I should take it.

Probably will.

Well done! How different is the role etc to what you're currently doing?

Jinks

HSC
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it was at all possible to defer an accounting cadetship for 1 year as I want to travel and volunteer overseas. Do most firms, including the Big 4, usually allow this. If so, when would be the best time to tell them of my deferral; e.g. Before, during or after the interview or should I wait until it I get formal acceptance and a contract?

Thanks for your help.
This is something you would want to bring up in your interview, it definitely helps that you have a plan for how you're going to spend the year. Many firms should be pretty accommodating as long as you're upfront and honest about your intentions.

esaitchkay

HSC
LOL,

Probably will.

wooo! congrats! :)

----
@nexusbrah it wasn't bad :p

how'd everyone's UBS interviews go? it seemed pretty casual..

mcng

HSC
yep was casual mine didn't go for too long either
fingers crossed but won't be too surprised if didn't make the cut haha

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Well done! How different is the role etc to what you're currently doing?
Completely different.

Right now I'm working as a share registry admin assistant, so essentially maintaining records of shareholders holdings/dividends/processing off-market transfers - it's all pretty basic

I'll be going into a personal insolvency role as a junior - so I'll be learning the ropes - writing letters to creditors, assisting in paperwork of statutory requirements and reporting - I don't know too much about it yet; but it seems interesting and very different to what I'm doing now.

I've still got to talk to the partners at my work. The big boss is probably going to bite my head off because two people have left in the past month - it'll be a time of intensive recruitment.

I really appreciate what they've done for me but if I don't take this I'm going to wonder for as long as I live, what would've happened had I of taken it.

I've completely gone bonkers tonight. Hahaha

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Completely different.

Right now I'm working as a share registry admin assistant, so essentially maintaining records of shareholders holdings/dividends/processing off-market transfers - it's all pretty basic

I'll be going into a personal insolvency role as a junior - so I'll be learning the ropes - writing letters to creditors, assisting in paperwork of statutory requirements and reporting - I don't know too much about it yet; but it seems interesting and very different to what I'm doing now.

I've still got to talk to the partners at my work. The big boss is probably going to bite my head off because two people have left in the past month - it'll be a time of intensive recruitment.

I really appreciate what they've done for me but if I don't take this I'm going to wonder for as long as I live, what would've happened had I of taken it.

Congradulations!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
From my experience I think Big 4 are probably more flexible with leave, exactly the same social life (if not better due to bigger firm events), the same amount of hours you would be doing anywhere as a cadet, and no harder/easier to get to know people. Also you'll be working in a team not with thousands so your input is just as valued as the guy/girl sitting next to you.
Agreed with this. Everything int he pros/cons is arguable and you can build your name anywhere. Big firms know they have the issue of lots of people so they have divisions, teams, etc to create that more friendly and close-knit atmosphere whilst balancing it with economies of scale in resources, knowledge and brand.

esaitchkay

HSC
yikes just got ripped up by the pattern/problem solving in EY aptitude test.
ended up getting whole section. feelsbadman

Jinks

HSC
Completely different.

Haha I think you would be crazy not to take it so go for it!

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
oh my.

So I finally conjured the strength to formally resign. I start my new job on the 30 June :D

I hope this place is great because it took so much out of me just deciding on whether or stay or go. Far out.

My boss said it's the stupidest decision I've ever made >.<

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
oh my.

So I finally conjured the strength to formally resign. I start my new job on the 30 June :D

I hope this place is great because it took so much out of me just deciding on whether or stay or go. Far out.

My boss said it's the stupidest decision I've ever made >.<
Lol the last sentence

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)