Cadetships 2014 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardyRamTaxi

HSC
In most cases the employer should be contacting your referees before sending you out an offer,this is the standard (as that's the point of referees, to vouch for you to give reassurance that they're picking the right candiate) however I have seen cases where it does happen after the offer, usually this is because the person forgot/was too busy,it had happened to a family member of mine just recently,although she never asked why after, you shouldn't be too worried(she still got job offer)
Thanks for the reassurance, hopefully this work out all right, thought I would ask as it seems very odd.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It's quite uncommon but not unheard of. Usually what people get is a conditional offer and it's typically explicitly said that it's subject to reference checks. That being said given you've signed paper work, I'm thinking this is either just an accident, or they just want to double check something. Regardless, you can always just ask them to let you know how it's going but I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you've been hiding something (or done something dishonest in the process in which case anything can happen).

enoilgam

HSC
In most cases the employer should be contacting your referees before sending you out an offer,this is the standard (as that's the point of referees, to vouch for you to give reassurance that they're picking the right candiate) however I have seen cases where it does happen after the offer, usually this is because the person forgot/was too busy,it had happened to a family member of mine just recently,although she never asked why after, you shouldn't be too worried(she still got job offer)
To be honest, these days most employers are doing it after offers.

HardyRamTaxi

HSC
It's quite uncommon but not unheard of. Usually what people get is a conditional offer and it's typically explicitly said that it's subject to reference checks. That being said given you've signed paper work, I'm thinking this is either just an accident, or they just want to double check something. Regardless, you can always just ask them to let you know how it's going but I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you've been hiding something (or done something dishonest in the process in which case anything can happen).
Good point, I looked over the contract and it did state that the offer was subject to reference checks, guess I must have just forgotten about the condition. So thanks for that, those should go fine hopefully.

painting

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

First thanks for participating in the discussion over the years. Some members like seremify have really helped me understand what a cadetship involves.

Secondly I have a second round interview for a UBS cadetship in a few weeks and when I was notified of this I was told to 'expect questions relating to my interest in the Group Operations division'. Does anyone who went through this process in the past want to shed some light on whether or not this means that I am being considered for a position in ops and if this means that I will not be considered for a position somewhere in Equities?

Cheers.

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Lmao. I got accepted into an interview for the transport for new south wales cadetship. Does anyone have any experience regarding this? or am I alone here...
I don't think I can be counted as professional services... >.>

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Lmao. I got accepted into an interview for the transport for new south wales cadetship. Does anyone have any experience regarding this? or am I alone here...
I don't think I can be counted as professional services... >.>
I have a lot of experience of bailing from dem transits so that helped me get an interview.

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
hows ur wallet
u missing ur 200 dollars
u should be

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey all,

First thanks for participating in the discussion over the years. Some members like seremify have really helped me understand what a cadetship involves.

Secondly I have a second round interview for a UBS cadetship in a few weeks and when I was notified of this I was told to 'expect questions relating to my interest in the Group Operations division'. Does anyone who went through this process in the past want to shed some light on whether or not this means that I am being considered for a position in ops and if this means that I will not be considered for a position somewhere in Equities?

Cheers.
Unfortunately I don't know much about Group Operations other than it is probably a settlements area? Anyone else here got more insight?

ClaudiaK

HSC
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has been offered a cadetship position within UBS yet?
Or if someone who was offered a UBS cadetship in previous years could tell me how they notify you if you have been successful/not successful? I am becoming a nervous wreck checking both my phone and email constantly for any news, ahah.

HSC
Stupid question, but can someone just tell me exactly what a Cadetship is? From my understand it seems to be a program offered to people interested in majoring in Accounting at university? What exactly are the benefits of this and what do you have to do in return? I'm a year 12 student and it seems you apply for these things in year 12? Just a little confused overall, thanks!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Stupid question, but can someone just tell me exactly what a Cadetship is? From my understand it seems to be a program offered to people interested in majoring in Accounting at university? What exactly are the benefits of this and what do you have to do in return? I'm a year 12 student and it seems you apply for these things in year 12? Just a little confused overall, thanks!
Bit late for you if you're in year 12 as in doing your HSC now as applications and interviews were a few months ago, however you can apply next year as a first year for some of the bigger firm cadetships.

Here's a link for you which you tells you about cadetships and I suggest explore the website abit to research more about it

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/Students/High-school/Cadetship-FAQs

trolol101

HSC
Are cadetships only for people majoring in accounting (sorry just found out about this)? Also what kind of stuff do you do in cadetships?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
milkytea99 said:
Hi, I'm just wondering, for cadetships you can only apply in year 12 or 1st year uni right? And even if you apply in your 1st year of uni, do they look at your HSC ATAR and 1st year results or just your 1st year results alone? And is the deadline for 1st year uni students the same as the deadline for year 12 students? Thanks a lot.
1. You can apply in year 12 or first year uni depending on the firm. Some firms may only take year 12 students whilst others may only take first year. Further it may change year on year depending on business needs.

2. They can look at anything they want- they could ask you for your year 6 school report if they wanted. Typically employers want to know more about your recent history so they'd look at your past 2-5 years of performance which would include your HSC results as well as whatever uni results you have so far.

3. Due dates vary by firm. As far as I'm aware none of the major firms differentiate based on high school/first year uni or cadetship application due dates but it could happen.

I think the key thing to remember with a cadetship is you're applying for a job at an individual firm. Yes they're all accounting firms and typically are in an industry body (e.g. accounting body) but they're independent and there's nothing really in common between them for applications. You wouldn't fill in an application for Pizza Hut if you were trying to get a job at McDonalds would you?

milkytea99

HSC
1. You can apply in year 12 or first year uni depending on the firm. Some firms may only take year 12 students whilst others may only take first year. Further it may change year on year depending on business needs.

2. They can look at anything they want- they could ask you for your year 6 school report if they wanted. Typically employers want to know more about your recent history so they'd look at your past 2-5 years of performance which would include your HSC results as well as whatever uni results you have so far.

3. Due dates vary by firm. As far as I'm aware none of the major firms differentiate based on high school/first year uni or cadetship application due dates but it could happen.

I think the key thing to remember with a cadetship is you're applying for a job at an individual firm. Yes they're all accounting firms and typically are in an industry body (e.g. accounting body) but they're independent and there's nothing really in common between them for applications. You wouldn't fill in an application for Pizza Hut if you were trying to get a job at McDonalds would you?
Thanks a lot for your reply! :smile:
And why would they want your year 6 report lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)