Cadetships! (1 Viewer)

pmtruong

HSC
it took about 3 days but i rekon u shood jus call them...hav u got any other offers or interviews?

hieuh

HSC
well i only applied for Nexia Court. I was going to apply for KPMG, but i thought it would be easier to get into Nexia Court because I think most people applied in the "big 4" firms

shrutz27

HSC
N/A
pmtruong said:
i got an interview for nexia on monday but i cancelled it coz i was offered horwath. Anyways what i did was call up many of the firms a couple of days after the closing date of the applications if they didn send me a confirmation letter and jus asked if they had received my app yet. N e way nexia online app was stuffed i think coz they didn receive my online one so they emailed me an applicaiton form which i sent bak. i rekon u shood ring them.
has any 1 from pwc thursday private client services got an offer yet?
hey my sis did the pwc private client services last wk, she got an offer yesturday. I think they should get bak to u real soon coz they sed that it'll take 5 days to get bak n its bn 6 now ( lol my sis was counting :p) hope that helps n good luck

pmtruong

HSC
ey shrutz thanks for the reply...yeh they called me yesterday to reject me but luki for me i have offers from horwath and felsers and still have a pkf interview so it all worked out. I think one of the problems was that i arrived 5 mins l8 as their stupid map said they were at cockle bay wharf...which they arent;t and my train was delayed but its my fault. Ey wat was ur sistas name and what does she look like...i mite memba her. Also to heui the following apps are still open audit office of nsw, borough mazars,boyce chartered accoutants, einfeld symonds vince, hall chadwick and weston woodley robertson. hope this helps all the details for these are in the CA cadetship guide booklet....i basically applied for all but the small firms, and even the mid teir ones are very competitive to get into...most only takes about 4 ppl. Gl.

>::DeuZ::<

HSC
pmtruong said:
ey shrutz thanks for the reply...yeh they called me yesterday to reject me but luki for me i have offers from horwath and felsers and still have a pkf interview so it all worked out. I think one of the problems was that i arrived 5 mins l8 as their stupid map said they were at cockle bay wharf...which they arent;t and my train was delayed but its my fault. Ey wat was ur sistas name and what does she look like...i mite memba her. Also to heui the following apps are still open audit office of nsw, borough mazars,boyce chartered accoutants, einfeld symonds vince, hall chadwick and weston woodley robertson. hope this helps all the details for these are in the CA cadetship guide booklet....i basically applied for all but the small firms, and even the mid teir ones are very competitive to get into...most only takes about 4 ppl. Gl.
dude 4 pkf do u already have interview or that information nite tihng??

pmtruong

HSC
my pkf is tomorow and thats the one of the latest ones i know of. I know a couple of people who have alredy completed their first pkf interview mostly during this week. one did it last friday. and yes they sent every1 that info day thing whether or not u made the interview. weird.

jon0_o

HSC
ne1 else had their BAcc today?? or tuesday, how'd it go? I thought it was pretty good, the interviewers were a lot more friendly than at actual accounting firms .. altho the PwC and Ey interviewers I had were pretty nice too .. the KPMG guy I got was stone cold. I'm kinda nervous/excited about next friday ....

On a side not, for those of you who've got your contracts, when do most of the cadetships start? I've got one for Business Assurace at PwC which starts in July next year ... but I'm not sure if the rest at PwC or other places do or if they start in Jan/Feb.

toffee123

HSC
KPMG starts in feb.

Any other KPMG ppl out there?!

Those who have their contracts, whats your salary package? And if you have multiple offers, which firm are you going for and why?

Last edited:

jon0_o

HSC
PwC is $29kp.a. + $500 book allowance per semester for a 37.5 hr wk but u get 4 hrs off a wk ... so 33.5 hrs. then u get 6 days exam leave per semester. But the 29k includes everything so u don't get extra holiday loading or overtime etc. and also it doesn't say how much the allowance is when you are in full time study.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
jon0_o said:
PwC is $29kp.a. + $500 book allowance per semester for a 37.5 hr wk but u get 4 hrs off a wk ... so 33.5 hrs. then u get 6 days exam leave per semester. But the 29k includes everything so u don't get extra holiday loading or overtime etc. and also it doesn't say how much the allowance is when you are in full time study.
Is it $500 per semester? I'm not too sure but I know we got $500 extra in our payslip; but I assumed it was for the whole year. After all, as a part timer, I'm only spending around $190 on textbooks for my 2 subjects- and I'm buying them both brand new at full price.

As for overtime... Does any firm actually pay overtime? I thought most places just let you have time off for the overtime which has been accumulated.

*shrugs*

Don't forget that some firms also offer things additional to that- eg. gym subsidies!

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
blackfriday said:
why do cadetships suck ass? lets see..

1) you get paid less than a child care worker. (im a child care worker. i know)
2) working as a trainee is just debits and credits, well according to my friend who's doing a cadetship
3) the awesome-ness of uni social life is something you'll never experience at work (pointing the obvious out), but you wont be missing out on much if you do a hard double degree. i think its more important than you realise at this stage of pre-hsc naivety.

but with that said, cadetships do work out well for certain types of people. if you think sticking unearned revenue as a liability credit is stimulating fun, then go ahead.
I haven't even started mine yet, but I'll defend it with my logic.

1. For first year out of highschool I think 25k+ benefits is great for an unskilled person. So what if child-care workers get paid more to start off with? The bottom line is that a child-care worker is a child-care worker. Their salary will never increase because its an entry-level job with very little direct career opportunity.

2. I'm sure any job would have its ups and downs. Though obviously if your not interested in business your not going to like an accounting cadetship... I think thats pretty straight-forward!

3. It is in fact 2+2.. Your first 2 years will be at work.. Considering you'll meet people both at work and at uni I'd imagine a person doing a cadetship would have a much bigger social network.

The second 2 years are full-time uni. Considering your contracted employer gives you an allowance for simply attending uni, I think you'd probably have EVEN MORE TIME than your full-time uni people who are busy working to make cash.

For me the main benefits of a cadetship is applying the work I learn at uni faster, gaining the work experience I so desire to accelerate my career... and simply securing a future.
Also I've heard of a few stories of fast acceleration as a result of cadetships - something that interests me!

In all honesty, I'd hate to be a 3rd year BCom student struggling to put together a CV with the university extra-curriculars and holiday experience they poured their time into only to compete with a few thousand others for each and every job offer.
I found it difficult getting cadetships and compiling experiences/skills during highschool.. if I had to keep it up on such a trivial level for another 3 years I'd go nuts!

Having said that now, a few of the partners I've spoken to from Mid-tier firms said in the coming years they even plan to PHASE OUT graduate intake... simply because cadets always seem to perform better in the long-run. Felsers has already done this apparently.

I've recieved offers at both KPMG and PWC.

This is simply going to be one of the hardest choices of my life... So far PWC seem to have a better contract in terms of remuneration + benefits but KPMG seem to have friendlier partners.... my partner interview felt more like a conversation with a friend and the guy was nice enough to call me personally and write out a nice message on my contract letter.. Plus the KPMG office looks a little more swank ;)

It may not mean much to people but I think at this age remuneration isnt anywhere near as important as making your mark within your workplace.. which means having strong links with your superiors - they'll be the ones accelerating you.

Having said that, I think i'll leave the decision to the 'under-offer' celebration nights where I'll get to mingle with my future staff... Then I'll make a decision based on a gut feeling!

Last edited:

=candii=

HSC
seremify007 said:
As for overtime... Does any firm actually pay overtime? I thought most places just let you have time off for the overtime which has been accumulated.
paid overtime? while your on a salary? :confused: haha thas funny :)

...although if you work during the holidays or smth maybe thats when your extra pay kicks in.

Vagabond: wow. i totally agree with everything you said. GO YOU XD haha

hey for the kpmg thing on monday night...are we meant to bring parents? coz the PwC said that we could but the kpmg didnt say anything about bringing anyone...are you?

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
You're right about KPMG not saying who to bring. My mum wanted to come along for PWC so I'm bringing her..

I wouldnt be suprised if there were parents at KPMG also though!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Vagabond said:
In all honesty, I'd hate to be a 3rd year BCom student struggling to put together a CV with the university extra-curriculars and holiday experience they poured their time into only to compete with a few thousand others for each and every job offer.
I found it difficult getting cadetships and compiling experiences/skills during highschool.. if I had to keep it up on such a trivial level for another 3 years I'd go nuts!
Let's not forget there are around 1000 people per year in B Comm at UNSW, and then when you factor in the number from other universities... and how many Accounting majors are likely to apply for a job in Big4 graduate positions- it does seem like a pretty big challenge aye?

Vagabond said:
I've recieved offers at both KPMG and PWC.
Congratulations :) Tough call but ultimately it comes down to which one would you want to work for?

Vagabond said:
Having said that, I think i'll leave the decision to the 'under-offer' celebration nights where I'll get to mingle with my future staff... Then I'll make a decision based on a gut feeling!
I got an email today about the PwC evening so maybe I'll see you there :)

joe_rulez37

HSC
I'm a little confused about scholarships/cadetships. Are they only offered for accounting?

gedddy

HSC
does anybody know if your allowed to undertake a combinded degree as well as a cadetship? ie Comm/Law.

=candii=

HSC
gedddy said:
does anybody know if your allowed to undertake a combinded degree as well as a cadetship? ie Comm/Law.
yeh some firms will let you...it will just take slightly longer to complete though

phrred

HSC
gedddy said:
a lot of firms dont let you

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
joe_rulez37 said:
I'm a little confused about scholarships/cadetships. Are they only offered for accounting?
No, but a lot of them are because the accounting sector is massive and growing.

Scholarships are available for IT.. UNSW has a range of CO-OP programs..

And I know for sure there are many engineering cadetships available, especially in mining and resources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)