Calculators in the HSC (1 Viewer)

eshaygabberbrah

HSC
I just ordered a Casio calculator from ebay that can integrate & derivate etc. (fx-991ES PLUS model)
It looks identical to the standard casio calculators that 90% of students use (fx-82AU PLUS model).

So my question to you is, how thoroughly do calculators get checked and will i get busted for it in the HSC since it is not on the approved list?

Also what other calculators do you people like to use?

:rudolf:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you really want to risk zero for your HSC for a calculator that does simple integration and differentiation...?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I just ordered a Casio calculator from ebay that can integrate & derivate etc. (fx-991ES PLUS model)
It looks identical to the standard casio calculators that 90% of students use (fx-82AU PLUS model).

So my question to you is, how thoroughly do calculators get checked and will i get busted for it in the HSC since it is not on the approved list?

Also what other calculators do you people like to use?

:rudolf:
Not worth the risk imo, seeing as you could probably integrate/differentiate the function faster by hand than it would take to type in the calculator.

eshaygabberbrah

HSC
I've tested one and it saves a lot of time for questions like finding the area between 2 curves, it does it on one step compared to standard calculators where you have to type out the whole first equation minus the second. it can also calculate function tables in 1 step instead of 10 for each little increment.

i don't really care whether or not i end up using it for the hsc but because i can do this stuff anyway, so thanks for your opinions!!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Marks are also awarded for working. So if you go from the integral straight to the answer...

eshaygabberbrah

HSC
+1^

yeah i know you would still have to show working etc.
It only really saves time on punching in numbers, which i could make up by actually studying instead of thinking of loopholes like this...

D94

HSC
N/A
Why is this even a question worth asking? Why risk a zero for what, saving 10 seconds to integrate/differentiate? The HSC supervisors do go around to check each calculator.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
yeah 10 seconds isn't worth the risk

most students get by with the 82AU and you probably should too

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
100AU is what I recommend.

None of this silly 'natural display' whatnot.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I did do a bit of a dodgy last year. They didn't catch me but the calculator I used was identical to what everyone else used but mine didn't have any significant extra functions that it could do.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What you are essentially asking is can you get away with cheating in the exam.

The calculator gives an advantage that others don't have and is not on the approved list.

Is it really worth a zero and becoming ineligible for an HSC?

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Is it really worth a zero and becoming ineligible for an HSC?
EXACTLY!
In my opinion if you can do the maths, don't waste it. If you are "caught" say bye bye to your HSC. Just imagine all that time wasted due to not following your responsibility as a student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)