Call from Telstra about Internet (1 Viewer)

simplyinsanity

HSC
Hey. Has anyone else received a call from Telstra recently saying that there is a problem with the Internet that needs to be fixed otherwise the Internet connection will be disconnected?

I'm not even on Telstra...

Thanks.

Edit: Basically anyone know if it's legit or if I should be worried?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Hoping that means: no, it's not legit, stop being paranoid simplyinsanity...
You need to ask people in your street (your neighbour or something).

It could be an infrastructure problem in your street.

So BoS won't help for this matter!!!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
what makes you think that people on BOS would have the answer lol?

anyway i do have an answer to the question.

you're probably in a "old" neighborhood that still has copper cables and telstra did the wiring for it many many years ago so that's why you have a little grey box outside your house that says telstra.

what your provider does (optus, dodo, whatever) leases that cable from telstra so they can provide you with a phone line, internet, etc. Now if there is a problem telstra will have to fix it and by law they have to inform you.

Fun Fact: this is how the government does surveillance, they ask telstra to "tap into" that little grey box

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
what makes you think that people on BOS would have the answer lol?

anyway i do have an answer to the question.

you're probably in a "old" neighborhood that still has copper cables and telstra did the wiring for it many many years ago so that's why you have a little grey box outside your house that says telstra.

what your provider does (optus, dodo, whatever) leases that cable from telstra so they can provide you with a phone line, internet, etc. Now if there is a problem telstra will have to fix it and by law they have to inform you.

Fun Fact: this is how the government does surveillance, they ask telstra to "tap into" that little grey box
This is true.

The surveillance you are referring to is phone convos/net usage.

If you are notorious for something, then the government will check your phone calls for any illegal activities.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
This is true.

The surveillance you are referring to is phone convos/net usage.

If you are notorious for something, then the government will check your phone calls for any illegal activities.
yes it is true. I am unsure whether you are being sarcastic?

yes "the box" controls all the communications/data flowing in/out of the residence but only the hard line stuff. other ways to do it is either "hack" the targets wifi (if they have it) and put an "open bug" on their system (this stuff is literally untraceable). from this, they can check if you're browsing terrorist networks (or how much time you spend on BOS :p) despite whether you have an incontingo tab or not.

but this method is old fashioned and is used mainly in "low level" police operations (telstra helps the popo) and yes the police need a warrant. things that are like critical to national security and such are investigated by ASIS, ASIO, and whatever secret government agencies with god knows what type of technology they have

Now you have good reason to be paranoid. YOU'RE BEING WATCHED!!!

PS - Does anyone watch person of interest? it's like a show with mass surveillance and they save people from being murdered and stuff

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
yes it is true. I am unsure whether you are being sarcastic?

yes "the box" controls all the communications/data flowing in/out of the residence but only the hard line stuff. other ways to do it is either "hack" the targets wifi (if they have it) and put an "open bug" on their system (this stuff is literally untraceable). from this, they can check if you're browsing terrorist networks (or how much time you spend on BOS :p) despite whether you have an incontingo tab or not.

but this method is old fashioned and is used mainly in "low level" police operations (telstra helps the popo) and yes the police need a warrant. things that are like critical to national security and such are investigated by ASIS, ASIO, and whatever secret government agencies with god knows what type of technology they have

Now you have good reason to be paranoid. YOU'RE BEING WATCHED!!!

PS - Does anyone watch person of interest? it's like a show with mass surveillance and they save people from being murdered and stuff
Not sarcastic.

Well yeah that's generally the point.

No I don't watch it.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
thanks for clarifying. its hard to determine whether one is being sarcastic through the medium of the internet.
#SheldonCooper

Haven't watched that show in like 4 years but I'd still expect that to come straight out of BoS.

simplyinsanity

HSC
Haha, I just thought that if it was some sort of scam people on BOS may have heard of it.

But thanks anyway anomalous and square! :)

I will ask neighbours if they have received similar phone calls tomorrow.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha, I just thought that if it was some sort of scam people on BOS may have heard of it.

But thanks anyway anomalous and square! :)

I will ask neighbours if they have received similar phone calls tomorrow.
The government may be watching you!!!!

D94

HSC
N/A
Well if they are not doing anything on your premise (which they technically should not be doing), then there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it, whether it's a scam or not. There doesn't seem to be any profit for a scammer, unless you need to fork out money, which then, should raise eyebrows.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if they are not doing anything on your premise (which they technically should not be doing), then there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it, whether it's a scam or not. There doesn't seem to be any profit for a scammer, unless you need to fork out money, which then, should raise eyebrows.
Yeah, pretty much this. Unless they are trying to steal the copper cables which are quite expensive btw, but why would these scammers just target your house?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well in my council, we are informed of even the slightest things such as a person across the street building a backyard pergola or stuff and they tell you to tell council if you object to stuff.

So if there is any change to your street, usually they will ask if its ok with you through some simple terms (a letter, phone call, etc).

Yeah, pretty much this. Unless they are trying to steal the copper cables which are quite expensive btw, but why would these scammers just target your house?
Back to my point, they would have called the whole street.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)