Calling All Asian Law Students! (1 Viewer)

PhuaChuKang999

Heya guys! I'm interested in taking Com/Law in uni next year. I like the idea of studying law as a subject, but have absolutely NO idea where to go from there. I'm Asian, so I was wondering whether there are any Asian law students out there who care to share what their plans are for the future. Sorry to stress on the Asian thingy, but the thing is, I see soooo few Asian lawyers here, and I'm from S'pore initially (became an Australian last year ;)). So yeah, what are the career prospects for a com/law student? Solicitors? Working for financial companies? Stocks? Accounting firms? I dun think I have EVER seen an Asian barrister here before :) But neways, was always more interested in the 'mundane' side (company, business, tax) of the Law anyways ;) Btw, I'm more of a science person in high school. Would that be a disadvantage? Help greatly appreciated!

santaslayer

HSC
1) I am AzN

2) AzN law students are everywhere...yes, even in UoW

3) Career prospects for an 'AzN' law student should be the same for any other students...

4) AzN barristers are rare...not solicotors though. :p

addz

HSC
i'm azn....and whilst i dont really know what my "career plan" is going to be yet
the trend seems to be for azn lawyers, whilst not becoming barristers, but rather solicit (sp?) in areas such as contracts and tax.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
4) AzN barristers are rare...not solicotors though.
lol yes there are alot of asian 'solicitors' in Chinatown and Kings-X

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
There are still no asian judges in any Australian court...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
We can't articulate our responses coherently in court. :p
you may speak for yourself et alia, but i would strongly argue a case for myself. :p

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
hahahha asqy

theres heaps of asian law students man! they're the ones who can actually get the high marks! lol

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
barristers...there arnt many asian barristers...read the topic
I suppose, the traditional racial nature of legal institutions notwithstanding, this is in part to be attributed to having English as a second language. Law is a very 'English-orientated' field. Not to generalise, but I would say more asians than not have greater knowledge of maths and sciences than English (of course this says nothing about capacity - I will leave it to others to debate over the environmental influences, which seem most plausible, vs any psycholigical differences; "I'm mathematically minded," "I'm English minded", etc).

It's about language... I mean a good barrister is verbally articulate and eloquent in speech, that is being able to wield language effectively - as well as legal understanding. Even in the law faculty, there are some who have the understanding but because of reasons like the above paragraph, don't have the verbal skills.

santaslayer

HSC
Usually the migrated Asian sentiment is that you would be able to get an excellent income from doing more advanced solicoter's work anyway, so why would someone want to waste their time over say, a criminal case in court when you can still be well off doing much easier work? That's what my mum keeps telling me...she said i'd go bald by the age of 30 if I was to think that hard....I have cool parents. :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
also because being a barrister isnt exactly 'big business'...you would only become a barrister is you 'loved the law'
barristers get paid shitloads

theone123

blue essence
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
barristers get paid shitloads
yeah, didnt u hear the new bout the barrister who bs that he didnt work in a 10 year period, now ATO is suing the dude for $6 million in tax which that has been lied.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
wouldnt you be if a mob of westerners were controlling the world? :rolleyes:

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Did your teacher read it to you in french? i wish i could.

I was teary with: "He fell as gently as a tree falls. There was not even any sound" accompanied by the last page where there is drawn, a lone star over a desert.

"The desert is beautiful because somewhere in it hides a well."

People need to read this to put their cynicism in perspective :) It's kinda sad some mistake it for a childrens book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)