Calling all university students! (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Bored of Studies will soon be expanding to cover all aspects of university life - starting with the provision of comprehensive subject notes and resources to all university students.

What would YOU like to see on our university website? How should resources be presented? Are there particular services that you've been desperately wanting someone to provide? Can we evolve from the current HSC design of the site in any way?

We're wholeheartedly welcoming all suggestions!

^___^
HSC
uni notes!!!!!

hmm..i guess the transition from high school to uni is where everyone have trouble..so i think past stuent's experience will be priceless

Ninga

HSC
Exam papers for the exams im doing this week would be great, thanks Laz.

Notes would be pretty hard to put up. Each subject would vary from uni to uni. Ive been looking at Usyd exam, and i goto UoW, and their exams on the same subjects I do are pretty different. But, thats just for physics, I wouldnt know about any other subjects and stuff.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ooo exciting!

well firstly people have to get out of their head that this is a hsc site, especially people who stopped visiting after the hsc. maybe a change with the forums? on a first glance 1/6 of the space is to non school related, 1/6 to uni, and 2/3 is to year 12 subjects

there definitely should be an area for past exam papers, arranged first by uni, then by subject within the uni (not by subject then uni, it will be too confusing)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Site links to each of the subjects available in each of the universities listed.

Now of course that is an enormous task, and perhaps the links won't work due to the fact that you may require a password.

Actually, let's test this now.

http://firstyear.chem.usyd.edu.au/Resources/CHEM1101resources.htm

(This is for CHEM1101 1st Year, The University of Sydney)

T

tactic

Originally posted by iambored
ooo exciting!

well firstly people have to get out of their head that this is a hsc site, especially people who stopped visiting after the hsc. maybe a change with the forums? on a first glance 1/6 of the space is to non school related, 1/6 to uni, and 2/3 is to year 12 subjects

there definitely should be an area for past exam papers, arranged first by uni, then by subject within the uni (not by subject then uni, it will be too confusing)
we'd try to keep the hsc/uni parts sort of seperate, by that i mean boredofstudies.org homepage would be your portal into the site which would have some general info and some other usefil things which both uni/hsc ppl would find interesting then then you would branch off into the specific parts of the site, eg hsc.boredofstudies.org and uni.boredofstudies.org or something along those lines

but keeps those ideas coming!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lol so this is the big thing you were talking about

hmmm

there's so much to cover, do you think you will have enough bandwidth?!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'd recommend notes/resources for specific university subjects (otherwise, won't be that relevant). More altruism..

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Originally posted by natstar
U's should present it in the same format as the HSC notes and have the relevent types of degrees like, Business, Law, Medicine, Science and then have sub categories like Accounting, Marketing, Economics, Finance etc etc etc for all different types of degrees.
and have the notes separated by the uni they were from..

i like the uni studnet experiences thing.

this will be cool!

edit: the "<" ">" tags dont work for me :p

Last edited:
T

tactic

Originally posted by redslert
lol so this is the big thing you were talking about

hmmm

there's so much to cover, do you think you will have enough bandwidth?!
well, its only part of it :)

anyway, yes we have enough bandwidth now so it should be fine

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
As we were talking about previously, articles on various aspects of uni life would be helpful for HSC students as well as new uni students.

The notes sound good.... I think that dividing them up by general subject area is a good idea because even if there are no notes from your specific uni/subject, some things taught at other unis in similar subjects could still be helpful and relevant for you.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i would like sections on law (can we like divide it up? contracts, torts, equity etc), careers (links to career websites, estimated salary packages etc) and mooting (links to all the law student websites) please. :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Maybe a section for the lecture notes of each course of each uni? I don't think they're copyrighted... right?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
Maybe a section for the lecture notes of each course of each uni? I don't think they're copyrighted... right?
not useful, since they are avaliable on uni websites....

We need things that can't be gotten on websites

like..... mabye the answers to the finals :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I can see everyone is looking for notes for each course, but that'd be nearly impossible because each uni has it's own content which means that exam papers and notes from one uni is nearly worthless at another. It's not like the HSC where there is common content which can be shared.

I guess the only suggestion I can bring to the table is that maybe developing the university community through detailed university profiles and stuff along that line.

MoNNiE

HSC
i would like to see content along the lines of
exam papers Q AND A!
and some area which can actually answer questions we may have regarding our course or subject [ altough i know the university provides such an area; but sometimes nobody ever posts there or even replies -- eg intro to civil engineering - and its a help when people from other univerties provide feedback aswell]

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it would be quite difficult to do subject notes because each uni's subject is completely different from the next uni's subject, e.g first year maths or something in unsw would be diff to usyd's maths. and subjects change every 1 or 2 years anyway

i think it would be more worthwhile to put up resources and web addresses for general subject areas rather than specific subject notes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)