Calls for legal same-sex marriage (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Valid, but most of those moral absolutes are universal human values, on much more stable ground than opposition to gay marriage imo. Private property rights, the right to live free from fear of persecution, harm, equality of all men etc...

I hardly see the protection of a formalised structure promoting traditional families as comparable to the above values. Families will continue to form and flourish, regardless of the state and protection of marriage.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Valid, but most of those moral absolutes are universal human values, on much more stable ground than opposition to gay marriage imo. Private property rights, the right to live free from fear of persecution, harm, equality of all men etc...

I hardly see the protection of a formalised structure promoting traditional families as comparable to the above values. Families will continue to form and flourish, regardless of the state and protection of marriage.
I don't know that there can there be 'universal human values'. Where do these values come from and what makes it universal?
Ultimately, who should decide that a value is valid & 'universal'? Majority or minority? Both?
Which value is more universal & accepted? Traditional private property rights or traditional family rights? I think maybe traditional family rights might be.
None of this seems black and white at all...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I don't know that there can there be 'universal human values'. Where do these values come from and what makes it universal?
Ultimately, who should decide that a value is valid & 'universal'? Majority or minority? Both?
Which value is more universal & accepted? Traditional private property rights or traditional family rights? I think maybe traditional family rights might be.
None of this seems black and white at all...
So you reckon society can't function without moral absolutes, but we don't know what they are

I guess that explains why society isn't functioning

By the way, what does gay marriage have to do with morality in the first place?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
So where do your moral absolutes come from? :D
;) Well they MUST come from somewhere!;)
Unless i invented them:) But I dont think so.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I don't know that there can there be 'universal human values'. Where do these values come from and what makes it universal?...
Most of them, including private property rights, freedoms from harm etc... can easily be seen as coming from biology. We protect our stuff, and ourselves.

A sense of justice, and wanting things to be 'fair' is born within all men. A legal system naturally eventuates from this.

*TRUE* said:
Your original claim was that society would break down without moral absolutes. What do you think would have a greater impact, removing private property rights or abolishing marriage?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
Most of them, including private property rights, freedoms from harm etc... can easily be seen as coming from biology. We protect our stuff, and ourselves.

A sense of justice, and wanting things to be 'fair' is born within all men. A legal system naturally eventuates from this.

Fairness for whom? I think fairness and justice for oneself, absolutely like you say. I dont think wanting justice for others is inherent from birth ?

Your original claim was that society would break down without moral absolutes. What do you think would have a greater impact, removing private property rights or abolishing marriage?
Well , private property rights have been removed before, and that has impact ( i think negative , personally). I dont think marriage has ever been abolished , so i have to tell you honestlyI dont know what impact it would have:)
Oops sorry Graney i messed up your quote with mine!

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I have friends in a 20+ year de facto relationship with kids and a house. Not being married has no impact.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
I have friends in a 20+ year de facto relationship with kids and a house. Not being married has no impact.
20yrs? wow, thats a long time:)
I wouldnt say from one example though , that abolishing marriage would have no impact. After all , i guess there are groups of people in different places in the world who CHOOSE to live without private property rights...but that wouldnt neccessarily be indicative of the sort of impact a nation wide abolition of private property rights would occasion?

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Marriage is NOTHING, heaps of couples have children without marriage. I agree with the equal rights for gay people, but marriage is nothing, it's just a piece of paper, so gays shouldn't be worried about wanting to legalising same sex marriage.

..I was kinda hoping Rudd would announce that he was gay because his wife looks like a whale. :p

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Marriage is NOTHING, heaps of couples have children without marriage. I agree with the equal rights for gay people, but marriage is nothing, it's just a piece of paper, so gays shouldn't be worried about wanting to legalising same sex marriage.
it isn't nothing from a religious point of view.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes, yes, that's it children. Fight for your relativism. M-hm. M-hm-hm M-HAHAHA- MWAA-HA-AHAHAH AHAHAHAH*fart*

But I for one praise Ruddkip for the changes, and so should you, you ungrateful barbaric peons

blakegman

HSC
N/A
melanieeeee. said:
it isn't nothing from a religious point of view.
If we made concessions for everything religions said we should and shouldnt do we would have a pretty shit society imo.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
blakegman said:
If we made concessions for everything religions said we should and shouldnt do we would have a pretty shit society imo.
however (some) marriages are a religious act.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
What about polygamists? (im not being either sarcastic or serious...just thinking)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Well, I think probably because people could fake being polygamists and receive monetary benefits....

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
rather than the religious nuts forcing their view of what marriage should be down their throats.
See, that's the beauty of it. It's not "their" view at all.
You relativists blowing about in the wind, unable to grab on to anything, being tossed here and flung there with the herd of popularity, you dont get it. At least the nuts are on the ground.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)

sajad07

HSC
Was it just a coincidence that the advertisement below had 2 homos making out. Same-sex marriages would renunciate anything left of moral humanity just think of the kids who will be growing up with this fuken disgrace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)