can anyone give a clean definition?> (1 Viewer)

psycho_mushy

HSC
can any of u l33t's out ther give a clear definition of:

1) multiple alleles and

2) polygenic inheritance

I got some already, but they don't seem to make the task anymore easier...

these are mine correct me if I'm wrong:
multiple alleles: two or more phenotype traits present in the organism controlled by genes but only two can be expressed at any one time..... corrections?

polygenic inheritance: multiple genes control multiple alleles that are to be presented as phenotypes. More than one factor is involved for the allele to be presented i.e. height

thanks heaps

Bannanafish

HSC
the phenotype is determined by multiple genes (because of the on gene one polypeptide theory)

tempco

HSC
Multiple alleles: When a single characteristic is determined by multiple alleles (3 or more), but only 2 can be present in the genotype of the organism.

Polygenic Inheritance: When a single characteristic is determined by multiple pairs of alleles on different loci (positions on a chromosome).

psycho_mushy

HSC
I still don't kinda get polygenic.... can u give an example? sorry :p

tempco

HSC
Ok. Well, skin colour is determined by polygenic inheritance, by 3 pairs of alleles. For the first pair of alleles, the two genes are a' (dark) and a (light). For the second, the genes are b' and b. For the third, c' and c. These pairs of genes are on different loci; they maybe on different chromosomes or on the same one, but they do not share the same position on a chromosome. I really dark skinned person would have the genotype a'a' b'b' c'c' while a really light person would have the genotype aa bb cc.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)