can i borrow tapes of lectures at the library? (1 Viewer)

Catastrophe

HSC
since i live very far from the uni, takes about 3.5hrs each day to travel there and back....i heard that other uni have lectures recorded on tape that can be borrowed. i don't realy wanna come for a day when there is only 1 lecture, and my timetable is for every day of the week...... :mad:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
only thing is, if you use the machine again with the same tape, the machine does not wipe out the first recorded thing, so you hear both lectures. in other words, you have to delete whatever is on the tape before you put it in the tape machine recorder. that really shits me because everytime i wont to reuse one of my tapes to record a lecture i have to record a silent room for 3 hours so the tape is blank again.... there has to be a better/easier way :/

There is, buy a dictaphone and record the lectures...and yeh if u cant make it to the lecture or someshit then umm get one of ur friends to do it :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what cyan said

the bit you don't understand is:
if a tape is not totally blank, if you have another lecture recorded on it or if you have music on it, you have to MAKE IT BLANK before you use the dubbing machines. otherwise you will have music and a lecture on the same tape.

this is annoying because sometimes you tape a lecture, then listen to it and want to reuse the tape. but before you reuse the tape you have to record blank over it.

thanks for the link, it's handy. that is the list of subjects that have webct. webct is th eonline teaching facility, you log in and they might put lecture notes up, they have message boards whicha re very useful.

some subjects also have the lectures uploaded to the net to webct. that means for these subjects there will not be tapes in the library, you will instead be able to download the lectures to your computer. they take a botu a day to be put up, it's much more efficient!

how many clashes do you have? it'll be fine as long as you're prepared to listen to the lectures at home
that might be a list of the subjects that have webct enabled.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
errr.......but i thought if u wanna reuse the tape....u can either record the new one...since it will wipe the old lecture stuff out....or do u mean those digital ones?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
this is annoying because sometimes you tape a lecture, then listen to it and want to reuse the tape. but before you reuse the tape you have to record blank over it.
Or you could swipe it a couple of times over the big magnet things at the loans desk. A lot quicker.

I don't believe in reusing tapes. If it's been wiped it loses quality on the next recording. And the recordings are bad enough as it is. Anyways, none of my lectures are only on tape, most of em are available in mp3 format.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
lol does the magnetic thing work? does it wreck the whole tape though?

sweet lemon - the dubbers don't work like normal recorders. if you record over an old tape at home it wipes the old and records the new at once. these dubbers leave the old and record the new

cyan - you don't have to put the recorder in a quiet room. most recorders have a 'mic' slot. plug in anything that fits, a mic that is turned off will be good, then you can leave it in a noisy room and it will record blank.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
lol.....tat's bad.....it's better if they can make it as in mp3 format or something.....then v just need to bring a usb...and copy it down....LOL~~

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah. this year apparently they are increasing their webspace so more subjects will be uploading their lectures. it's much easier imo. no lines, no forgetting tapes or checking the library for when they get there.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
but for security...i will get my self a notetaker...incase they forgot to record a lesson or something....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Or just take notes during the lecture and use the online notes for study :D

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
oh.....btw.....i heard many ppl say tat u won't have an organised book for each subject..coz it's really hard to organise it like high skool.....is tat true???

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
you could if you want but i don't use books. i didn't use them in year 11 or 12 either though.

i think it's harder at uni because if you're making notes you're likely to scribble some down, not be able to read others. yo ualso may want to use their notes and you'll have to stick them in or something.

i print their notes and write on them. i rewrite them if my notes are too messy to study off. if there isn't enough space i write on paper and transfer them later.

Sweet_Lemon

Final Sem'
HSC
cool....thanks for the tips....coz i'm really organised for my HSC....and have folders for each subject.....so i need to replan my organisation skill...:p

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Just an exercise book with tear out pages...easier to carry to uni and better when u gotta organise your notes.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I used an exercise book for mine, had no problems, but mine were kind of linear in their progress of teaching so perhaps thats what made it possible

Catastrophe

HSC
owell, i guess i'll be using the online teaching over some lectures then...btw, is the online one similar to the real lecture? i personally prefer notes online since listening to a lecture will take me time to write down points, and i'll most likely miss points....and online notes or recorded stuff, u can revise as much as u want:p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Depends on the unit and the lecturer

I find just listening to the lectures then summarising what i need to and using the online notes for shit i missed works for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)