Can I get 99.95 with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

nailafun

HSC
Can I get 99.95 with these subjects: Maths 2U, Chem, Bio, Physics, Eng Adv, Religion 2U?

omgiloverice

HSC
you can get 99.95 atar for any subjects, you just have work extremely hard and keep up your ranks

deswa1

HSC
Yes. You'll probably need the following marks (and SOR II won't count because of scaling unless you pretty much come top three in state).

Chem- 96
Phys- 96
Bio- 96
Maths- 98
English- 95

Good luck :)

enoilgam

HSC
Yes. You'll probably need the following marks (and SOR II won't count because of scaling unless you pretty much come top three in state).

Chem- 96
Phys- 96
Bio- 96
Maths- 98
English- 95

Good luck :)
This pretty much - it is definitely possible but you will obviously need to do very well across the board (that's pretty much the same with any subject combination though).

deswa1

HSC
not true.
Actually I've always wondered about this. I know some subjects are capped in terms of top scaled mark BUT the reason why they are capped is because the performance of the cohort of that sub is so poor in comparison to the rest of state average, that even the top scaled mark might be say 48/50 or 46/50 or whatever it is (for most decent subs it would be 50/50). Basically for example, the scaling process would look at the performance of students that do Aboriginal studies in ALL their units and people that do 4U maths in ALL their units and then try to work out what every student would get if they did every sub so you can make direct comparisons (I didn't explain that well- I can explain scaling determination properly if you guys want or you can read the UAC's technical report on scaling). So say if Aboriginal Studies has a top scaled mark of 47/50 (not sure what it is- you can check easily), and a 4U student in the 90th percentily has a scaled mark of 47.1/50, that implies that everyone in the 90-100th percentiles in MX2 is better academically than the first in state for Aboriginal Studies. Now my question is, suppose you came 1st in the state in 10 ridiculously dodgy units, do you get .95? I'm interested to hear what others have to think but I'd be inclined to say that the scaling process would intrepret your results as implying that you are amazingly good (because for all intents and purposes, no one has ever beaten you) and you would make it imo.

An ATAR of 99.95 required a minimum aggregate of 475.2 this year so if you got a scaled mark of 47.6/50 on average for each of your subs you would make it- which I would actually go out and say is possible with ANY subject combination (though RIDICULOUSLY unlikely and you would have to actually come 1st in the state in all your units).

Thoughts?

enoilgam

HSC
not true.
I'm pretty sure this is correct, there are a few subject combinations which can make it impossible to score 99.95 (maybe D94 can confirm). But realistically, a person aiming for 99+ let alone 99.95 probably wouldnt pick such a combination.

EDIT: Just read through Deswa1's post, I guess it might be theoretically possible to do so with any subject combination, but I dont know (I have forgotten a lot of this stuff). At the end of the day, what is the likelihood of someone carrying a subject mix like Standard English, General maths, Aboriginal studies, business services and VA going for a 99.95 ATAR?

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
General Maths
Standard English
IPT
Hospitality
Senior Science

Even if you get 100 in every subject you wouldn't receive .95 (461.4 scaled HSC aggregate)

deswa1

HSC
General Maths
Standard English
IPT
Hospitality
Senior Science

Getting first in the state for all those wouldn't get you a 99.95 iirc.
Yeah it probably wouldn't because the SAME person didn't top the state in all of them. I think that if it was the same person topping each of them, the top scaled mark would be higher than what it is now- thus allowing the .95. I'm just speculating here though- I'm not sure- I'll email UAC haha -> I'm curious

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Actually I've always wondered about this. I know some subjects are capped in terms of top scaled mark BUT the reason why they are capped is because the performance of the cohort of that sub is so poor in comparison to the rest of state average, that even the top scaled mark might be say 48/50 or 46/50 or whatever it is (for most decent subs it would be 50/50). Basically for example, the scaling process would look at the performance of students that do Aboriginal studies in ALL their units and people that do 4U maths in ALL their units and then try to work out what every student would get if they did every sub so you can make direct comparisons (I didn't explain that well- I can explain scaling determination properly if you guys want or you can read the UAC's technical report on scaling). So say if Aboriginal Studies has a top scaled mark of 47/50 (not sure what it is- you can check easily), and a 4U student in the 90th percentily has a scaled mark of 47.1/50, that implies that everyone in the 90-100th percentiles in MX2 is better academically than the first in state for Aboriginal Studies. Now my question is, suppose you came 1st in the state in 10 ridiculously dodgy units, do you get .95? I'm interested to hear what others have to think but I'd be inclined to say that the scaling process would intrepret your results as implying that you are amazingly good (because for all intents and purposes, no one has ever beaten you) and you would make it imo.

An ATAR of 99.95 required a minimum aggregate of 475.2 this year so if you got a scaled mark of 47.6/50 on average for each of your subs you would make it- which I would actually go out and say is possible with ANY subject combination (though RIDICULOUSLY unlikely and you would have to actually come 1st in the state in all your units).

Thoughts?
I reckon like most combos it is possible, but I think some sets it would actually be impossible(or very close to)-like we are just thinking people doing Cat A course, but most Cat B courses are horribly scaling for inclusion in ATAR calculation, even with a state rank. (State rank human services and you can still struggle to scrape a 70).

That said, your theory has merit with the idea because it is the performance of the cohort, but not sure one person can "uncap" a subject so to speak in respect to the regular candidature of these subjects.

Point is, hard to say as most people with 95+ aims give some consideration to scaling (not talking the Asian 5, but normally all at least average scaling Cat A courses overall).

Examine

same
HSC
Yeah it probably wouldn't because the SAME person didn't top the state in all of them. I think that if it was the same person topping each of them, the top scaled mark would be higher than what it is now- thus allowing the .95. I'm just speculating here though- I'm not sure- I'll email UAC haha -> I'm curious
Hmm I get what you mean now, though wouldn't they have to use other people's marks (2nd, 3rd, 4th in the state) to compare them to other subjects to see if the person who got first could have done as well as the people doing other subjects (if that makes sense). So it would also depend on how well other high achievers who picked one of those dodgy subjects will perform in their other subjects. Because of this reason I'd say that it would be impossible to get 99.95 with subjects which include category B.

matsing

HSC
its very rare for someone without 4u maths to get 99.95, let alone a person without any extension subjects. i think it is very very very unlikely for you to get 99.95, especially knowing your year 11 results (which you posted in another forum post).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
its very rare for someone without 4u maths to get 99.95, let alone a person without any extension subjects. i think it is very very very unlikely for you to get 99.95, especially knowing your year 11 results (which you posted in another forum post).
Known humanity beasts to do it. However have not seen a person without any extensions to do it (anyone have a case for that?)-though I do remember one BoSer did pretty well with no exts.

nailafun

HSC
But what about Chem and Physics, arent they scaled good?

Last edited:

nifkeh

HSC
a girl in my school who did this year's HSC - she did no maths and still got 99.95 (legal studies state rank, also did modern history, french extension, english extension + english advanced and maybe history extension not too sure)

you don't necessarily need to do 4U maths to get the top but it just means you need to actually get closer to 100

nifkeh

HSC
But what abo
ut chem and physics, arent they scaled good head
they are but if you were aiming for a 99.95 as enoilgam said, you basically need to get 95+ in them to be the cream of the crop

deswa1

HSC
Just a general tip to OP: Please don't make getting .95 the determinant of your success. When you're at that top end of the ATAR spectrum, one small thing brings you down. A lot of it comes down to how you go on the day, whether the questions sorta suit you, whether you are in the zone etc. I've seen a lot of people get very disappointed for missing that mark and its not worth it-> do your best and aim high, and if it happens, it will happen. Just don't rest everything on getting that .95.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)