Can I get in the 99s with these subjects? (1 Viewer)

Originally posted by 1 more
i got 99+ with subjects considered easy and badly scaled:

General Maths
Visual Art
Studies of Religion 2
Modern History (didn't count)
History Extension
Advanced English
English Extension 1
you must have gotton a bloody good general maths mark, cause that scales down hella badly.

1 more

fructis
HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

you must have gotton a bloody good general maths mark, cause that scales down hella badly.
I didn't though? it was my worst exam! In any case, it seemed as though this year it was difficult to distinguish yourself in regular mathematics, because *everyone* did well.

1 more

fructis
HSC
btw, a friend of mine got a UAI of 95.9 with 10 units, consisting of Standard English, General Maths, Food Technology, Studies of Religion 2 and Visual Arts. I think that was a rather excellent effort, and would probably be one of the best UAIs possible with that combination.

In my unqualified opinion, I think different subjects help one score a higher UAI in accordance to the varying circumstances of each year. While this year it seemed students with spectacular scores in Mathematics, and lower scores in Advanced English precluded them from scoring a higher UAI than they would have in 2001, in 2003 students across the state may score better in Advanced English than the students of 2002, causing Mathematics to be a more authoritative subject in the mystery that is the calculation of UAIs.
And now I shall wait patiently for the vultures on the forum to pounce on my speculative thoughts.

kini mini

HSC

In my unqualified opinion, I think different subjects help one score a higher UAI in accordance to the varying circumstances of each year. While this year it seemed students with spectacular scores in Mathematics, and lower scores in Advanced English precluded them from scoring a higher UAI than they would have in 2001, in 2003 students across the state may score better in Advanced English than the students of 2002, causing Mathematics to be a more authoritative subject in the mystery that is the calculation of UAIs.
And now I shall wait patiently for the vultures on the forum to pounce on my speculative thoughts.
Vulture #1 at your service ;)

As a self-declared expert, I think that it's better to speak more in term of percentiles than numbers. Scores can vary based on, for example, how easy the exam was.

So the question then becomes whether or not the scaling for a given percentile in a subject is comparable across different years. AFAIK there must be variations as some cohorts are stronger than others, but the magnitude of these differences is likely to be minimal at extreme ends of the candidature. What it is in between is anyone's guess, but IMO as one year is broadly the same as another even then the variation is likely to be insignificant in relation to other factors that affect final marks like a question in the paper being on your weak topic.

Therefore, the table of the relative scaling strength of subjects from 2002 is worth looking at for 2003 students, as is the 2001. Changes in scaling of subjects do exist but don't seem as important to me as making sure you're in a percentile range that scales well, no matter what the subject.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by kini mini
Therefore, the table of the relative scaling strength of subjects from 2002 is worth looking at for 2003 students, as is the 2001. Changes in scaling of subjects do exist but don't seem as important to me as making sure you're in a percentile range that scales well, no matter what the subject.
good point
being in the bottom percentiles of 4U maths may well yield a better scaled result than being in higher percentiles in, say, IPT (which it usually is anyway)

needtostudy

is it possible for me to get in the 95's +
with these subjects
3u maths
2u english standard
2u physics
2u chemistry
1u studies of religion ?
i want to get into e-commerce or some course involving the high end of business with a bit of computer work.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Bon

Edit: sorry, I misread that. Looking over what you wrote, I have no idea how I read it the way I did! You mean exam marks? Yeah, in that case, you are absolutely correct. :)
:)

Originally posted by needtostudy
is it possible for me to get in the 95's +
with these subjects
3u maths
2u english standard
2u physics
2u chemistry
1u studies of religion ?
i want to get into e-commerce or some course involving the high end of business with a bit of computer work.
It's theoretically possible I think, but of course it depends on how well you go in those subjects :).

IMO the best way to get into e-commerce is to learn commerce first and IT afterwards - your time is better spent learning more about commerce at uni than infosys etc.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If you do well, scaling won't really hurt you! Just do your best and the rest should follow. (Instead of worrying about the scaling, study some more, and play some more and rest some more.) ;)

btw, a friend of mine got a UAI of 95.9 with 10 units, consisting of Standard English, General Maths, Food Technology, Studies of Religion 2 and Visual Arts. I think that was a rather excellent effort, and would probably be one of the best UAIs possible with that combination.

come agaiN?? so wat are u trying to say :D :apig:

needtostudy

Originally posted by kini mini

:)

It's theoretically possible I think, but of course it depends on how well you go in those subjects :).

IMO the best way to get into e-commerce is to learn commerce first and IT afterwards - your time is better spent learning more about commerce at uni than infosys etc.
have you guys known any people who have finished e-commerce and are working in a stable environment ?

well just lets say i get band 6 for 2u and 3u maths
and band 5 for phys and chem
high band 4's for the rest is it still possible to get 95's ?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by needtostudy
well just lets say i get band 6 for 2u and 3u maths
and band 5 for phys and chem
high band 4's for the rest is it still possible to get 95's ?
I know someone who did Standard English (78 or 79) and did Physics and Chemistry (mid to high 80s) and Maths Ext 2 (Low to mid 90s for Ext 2) ... and he managed around 95!

devious

Hi. i was wondering with these subjects what marks do you think i'll get

2u Mathematics
2u Advanced English
2u Information Process and Technology
2u Business Studies
2u Biology
1u Studies of Religion

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by devious
Hi. i was wondering with these subjects what marks do you think i'll get

2u Mathematics
2u Advanced English
2u Information Process and Technology
2u Business Studies
2u Biology
1u Studies of Religion
It depends on how well you do those subjects ... You can't judge a person's UAI or even HSC marks by the subjects they do.

However, saying that, you *could* get anything up to around 99s ...

devious

well i hope i can get in da 90's or i'm screwed. but thanx for replying!!!!:D

pri

HSC
N/A
I think the main question ppl are asking is how hard would they have to work to achieve the 99's

on that note

would I have to work extremely hard to achieve the 99.xx with

4 units english
3 unit maths
Visual arts
Chemistry??

I know art is going to bring me down, but Im currently ranked 1st for that....

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pri
would I have to work extremely hard to achieve the 99.xx with

4 units english
3 unit maths
Visual arts
Chemistry??

I know art is going to bring me down, but Im currently ranked 1st for that....
It depends what extremely hard means ... and I know people who didnt do the sciences or maths who managed to in the high 99s!

Cherry_Flava

Hey=) I'm just wondering if I can get a UAI above 90 with these subjects.

English standard
2u maths
2u ancient history
2u design and technology
2u IPT
2u visual art

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Bon
Yeap..

Almost any UAI is possible with any combination of subjects.
I think soon we need an amendment to the FAQ to say that "U can get a UAI of 100 with any combination of subjects, provided...."

katesully_64

hi just wondering i it is possible to get close to 100 with these subjects...

2U Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English
2U Advanced Maths
2U Chemistry
2U Biology
2U PDHPE

at school im in the 90s for most subjects

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by katesully_64
hi just wondering i it is possible to get close to 100 with these subjects...

2U Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English
2U Advanced Maths
2U Chemistry
2U Biology
2U PDHPE

at school im in the 90s for most subjects
depends with ur ranks, but if ur getting 90's then it is a good chance that u will get very close to 100, if not 100.

good luck.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)