Can i please have some advice? (1 Viewer)

xsharpestlivesx

HSC
This is my 8th week so far in year 12 and I have hardly done anything for visual art in terms of art making. I have my concept which is 'the tragedies of young drivers' and i cannot get started on my art making because i have no ideas. I really like painting and I am good at photo manipulation. Any ideas? Trust me, your advice would be so appreciated.

biggie walls

HSC
"The Tragedies of Young Drivers"? - Sounds like a Current Affair parody... anyway, youve chosen this line as a starting point, now you have to extend it, explore it and take a stance on it... what does the line mean to you? Do you think teenage driving is a serious tragedy? is it just the media creating the drama surrounding these accidents? what about moves to change young driver laws including passenger restrictions and curfews? How would you go about conveying your idea in a material sense? You might like painting, but dont be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone - you could do a car crash installation - goto a local wreckers/junkyard try find some smashed up cars, you could paint some beatiful scenes of youth on the windows or something - just experiment!!

Theres my ramble, hope it helps?

Armic

HSC
You have a starting point now its time to extend it past that. What about the idea that interests you? How can you explore it?

Pursue the concept through a range of medias, just because you do photomanipulation doesn't mean you can't do painting. A Body of Work allows for a wide range of exploration.

The best thing you can do is start to collect ideas of pursuing the concept. Using a range of media areas help as do taking a different spin on things.

"The Tragedies of Young Drivers" gives you many starting points. You can focus on the tragedies, but don't make it too obvious and in the face of the audience, subtlety can be powerful.

You don't have to make a full blown social commentary. At this stage even small things such studies of vehicles, the framework of wheels and cars can work. Maybe even showing the distortion of the perfect 'wheel' parralleling the result of a car crash.

Best thing to do is approach your idea in a way that people can't scream cliche. Take the unexpected route. You can focus on the sadness and the waste of life, etc... but that can sometimes be a bit too common. What I mean is social issues like suicide, etc is tackled alot so best to surprise the examiner. Weave a little amibuity into your work so it can be read from mulitple viewpoints, this will make your work stronger.

I like to make a mindmap of all the different paths a concept can go. Once you have about five solid directions you can work on them. Don't worry ideas will develope over time. But it is best to have a general idea sorted out before Term 4's end.

So I say keep on thinking of ideas, but also continue your art making. If you have a idea run with it and see how it is in a week's time.

Also maybe explore the nature of "Tradegy" and how it is present (now and in the past). Narrowing your focus can prevent your concept from developing so becareful.

Maybe focus on the nature of life and how vehicles can take it away from us. Markers like these little quirks.

Sorry I can't proof read this right now, I know I've repeated myself but its 1:00 am and I'm tired... Xp

xsharpestlivesx

HSC
Thank you guys for your ideas. It really helps alot. After I posted the message I thought more about it. I think I might try and show the different viewpoints. ie the driver, the media, the parents etc It's just that different people have differing views on the idea of these moves to change young driver laws.
Thanks again guys

jazzmuzik

HSC
I also find thinking about artists you like and artworks you like looking at...why do you like what you do?
i know for my artwork i knew from the beginning i wanted an artwork that was visually appealing and "beautiful" because i like thinks that look nice, as opposed to a very minimalistic artwork that has good concepts..which i dont like the look of as much. (others would be the opposite).
try and create an artwork that you would like to look at. (for whatever reasons)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)