Can I still get into undergrad med if I don't do any maths? (1 Viewer)

whoknows5555

HSC
Hey guys, so I want to get into undergrad med, but I don't really want to do maths, because if I do do maths for my HSC, i'll have 14 units, which I think is a bit too much, and I don't want to drop any of my other subjects (Eng Ext, Latin Ext, Chem, Physics, Bio) so I was just wondering, how much maths do you actually do in the med course? Is the maths you do in med, hard? And also, will I be disadvantaged, in terms of getting into med, if I don't do any maths? Would they prefer someone who does maths rather than someone who doesn't? Or is it better if I drop a science and keep doing maths?

Sup3rDry

HSC
You won't be disadvantaged at all if you don't do maths. Remember that your atar is the one that counts. That being said, maths might be a more wiser choice in terms of your subjects such as Chemistry and Physics (just my opinion).

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, so I want to get into undergrad med, but I don't really want to do maths, because if I do do maths for my HSC, i'll have 14 units, which I think is a bit too much, and I don't want to drop any of my other subjects (Eng Ext, Latin Ext, Chem, Physics, Bio) so I was just wondering, how much maths do you actually do in the med course? Is the maths you do in med, hard? And also, will I be disadvantaged, in terms of getting into med, if I don't do any maths? Would they prefer someone who does maths rather than someone who doesn't? Or is it better if I drop a science and keep doing maths?
You won't be disadvantaged, just do a bridging course for Maths at uni and speak to the lecturers, there's always a way around maths

Worry about your Atar, not maths

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
i'd keep at least 2 units of maths as it enable you to have a more 'mathematical understanding' so that it doesnt come at a huge shock.

Emily Howard

HSC
no you will fail lyf n hav to prostitute yerself 2 survive cos ull be doin n arts degree gurl

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In pursuit of med, it's probs best to do whatever maximises your ATAR for admission in the first instance.

All your subs scale well.

Maths, you could either bridge, but I'm not sure how 'hard' the maths would be, I imagine it's very applied and if you've done it in prelim and are decent at it and just better at other subs, you should be fine. Could always bridge before uni too.

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Maths has no relevance in the course whatsoever.

Although at some unis it's a prerequisite, such as at JCU maths, chemistry and English are needed.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
You don't need more than basic arithmetic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)