Can I use a previous edition of Tim Riley's economics textbook? (1 Viewer)

Ashera

HSC
I'm starting year 11 next week and my subjects are mathematics extension 1, english extension 1, chemistry, physics and economics. I was going to purchase my prescribed textbooks this week but after looking at the prices, I simply can't afford any of them and my local library doesn't have many of the textbooks I need. My biggest concern is for economics, my school library has Tim Riley's economics textbook from 2013, can I still use that? :)

photastic

HSC
The only difference between the editions are the stats and current affairs

Ashera

HSC
The only difference between the editions are the stats and current affairs
The school library catalogue says there are a few people who have reserved the textbook :( Can I get through preliminary economics without a textbook at all?

photastic

HSC
The school library catalogue says there are a few people who have reserved the textbook :( Can I get through preliminary economics without a textbook at all?
If you have a good teacher you could manage, my teacher provided enough information so I managed without a textbook.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Parramatta council libraries should definitely have the book. Otherwise just buy it off a past student if you want a textbook.

Ashera

HSC
If you have a good teacher you could manage, my teacher provided enough information so I managed without a textbook.
After asking past students, all the economics teachers at our school are bad...

dim-sims

HSC
Maybe try asking your teacher for a digital copy of the current textbook.

But yeah it's mainly the stats and crap that are different each year. For the most part, the content that you need to know from the syllabus remains the same.

cssu0425

HSC
My suggestion is to borrow or buy a previous edition.

Tbh I used Tim Dixon's book and I didn't exactly find his stats helpful. Usually when they publish the textbook, they base the stats from the previous year. You will need to do current statistics research by yourself throughout the HSC. If you want to stay on top, the best thing is to read the news and be aware of economic conditions domestically and internationally, it really helps with understanding the syllabus and theory.

Sources of economic updates etc:
1. smh.com.au - Ross Gittins the economics editor, he publishes articles once or twice a week on present economic issues, he has a blog too
SMH is also good for keeping up with media releases such as interest rates and unemployment rate trends
2. rba.gov.au - really good for reading about interest rates and possibly u/e, they elaborate on their policy stances
3. abs.gov.au - mainly stats and has graphs

tl;dr: buy an old edition of the textbook, theory will generally be the same, just stats are outdated.. but then again in HSC economics, if you want to be stand out against other students, you can study those old stats because they inform you of Australia's economic history and trends and input that in your essays :)

all the best! you will enjoy the subject.

piglet

HSC
Content is almost identical except for stats, I used 2007 and 2011 last year and this year I'm using 2013 and 2011 :) so if you want to be accurate get the newest addition or just copy the stats from a friend next to you :) good luck ok

iStudent

HSC
It seriously doesn't matter which year. I managed to do decently (state rank) while using a 2011 Dixon book and a 2013 Riley book (2014 HSC).

Ashera

HSC
My suggestion is to borrow or buy a previous edition.

Tbh I used Tim Dixon's book and I didn't exactly find his stats helpful. Usually when they publish the textbook, they base the stats from the previous year. You will need to do current statistics research by yourself throughout the HSC. If you want to stay on top, the best thing is to read the news and be aware of economic conditions domestically and internationally, it really helps with understanding the syllabus and theory.

Sources of economic updates etc:
1. smh.com.au - Ross Gittins the economics editor, he publishes articles once or twice a week on present economic issues, he has a blog too
SMH is also good for keeping up with media releases such as interest rates and unemployment rate trends
2. rba.gov.au - really good for reading about interest rates and possibly u/e, they elaborate on their policy stances
3. abs.gov.au - mainly stats and has graphs

tl;dr: buy an old edition of the textbook, theory will generally be the same, just stats are outdated.. but then again in HSC economics, if you want to be stand out against other students, you can study those old stats because they inform you of Australia's economic history and trends and input that in your essays :)

all the best! you will enjoy the subject.
Thanks!

It seriously doesn't matter which year. I managed to do decently (state rank) while using a 2011 Dixon book and a 2013 Riley book (2014 HSC).
Do you have anything to add to cssu0425's answer to keep up with current events and find statistics? Did you just watch the news everyday or something?

HSC
my school library has Tim Riley's economics textbook from 2013, can I still use that? :)
LITERALLY the Economics text books are the biggest rip in the entire world not even kidding like the information is EXACTLY the same in each textbook they just 'tweak' the statistics in them but you can always google the new ones so it's not such a big deal. Like I have major regrets choosing Ecos but also buying the textbook. Any edition - like the 2013 is fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)